Proof that Raffy was clean?

Can_of_corn

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can not imagine the toll playing pro sports takes on a body, but as much as I like Raffy, this is still no excuse. Players know what the ramifications are for failed drug tests, and should investigate their supplements a little better than this. Especially considering the era. At that time you really could not trust anybody to give you something to take without worrying about what was in it. That being said if he is "innocent " hopefully the person with the info will come forward.

During that era, there was no real drug testing. The Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program was adopted in the Spring of 2006.

I just posted the link, how should I know?

I would be surprised to learn that Raffy is still paying a PR firm.

Just making a side point that things aren't always as they seem. Unless he no longer cares about his public image and a place in the HOF, I would be very, very surprised if he hasn't thoroughly explored what a PR firm can do for his particular set of circumstances. Whether he's retained one or not, I couldn't say.

The question Palmer's story poses is thus: Would Perry be a Hall of Famer without throwing a spitball, an illegal pitch? Palmer, who still broadcasts games for the Orioles, told another story about Palmeiro chasing 3,000 hits and still needing 60 or 70 but his bat speed had slowed down ("You could go to a tee ball game and see faster bats") ... and then suddenly it got a little quicker. Again, Palmer is just giving us the anecdotal stories, not choosing a side.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/31831/gaylord-perry-cheaters-and-the-hall

I've always thought maybe Raffy really was telling the truth. I mean, it's not like he got big and, if you're going to lie in front of a congressional committee are you going to double down, point your finger and get all indignant about it too? It's like the Brady Anderson thing. If he took steroids to hit 50 homers in '96 did he stop in '97, his walk year, when he hit like 18 or something? Why would he have done that?

I've always thought maybe Raffy really was telling the truth. I mean, it's not like he got big and, if you're going to lie in front of a congressional committee are you going to double down, point your finger and get all indignant about it too? It's like the Brady Anderson thing. If he took steroids to hit 50 homers in '96 did he stop in '97, his walk year, when he hit like 18 or something? Why would he have done that?

This. And for the sake of argument let's all just agree that PEDs give a performance edge. If Raffy started mid season that year because he was not doing well and was trying to reach 3000, it's not like he would have gotten any benefit that quickly. And I don't think a placebo effect could mask slow bat speed. Who knows really? I was always willing to give him the benefit of the doubt though.

Ladies and gentlemen of the Orioles Hangout, I'm just a caveman. I fell in some ice and later got thawed out by your scientists. Your world frightens and confuses me. When I see tall buildings and flashing neon signs sometimes I just wanna get away as fast as I can, to my place in Martha's Vineyard. I'm more at home hunting the Woolly Mammoth that I am hunting a good interior decorator. And when I see a solar eclipse like the one I went to last year in Hawaii, I think, 'Oh no! Is the moon eating the sun?!' I don't know! Because I'm a caveman, that's the way I think... but there is one thing i do know. When someone says that there is proof that Rafael Palmeiro was clean, they are going to need to provide more than third hand, anecdotal, evidence that they are not willing to share. Thank you.

Since when does anyone have to provide any evidence before making a statement on the Internet? Welcome to the age of information Caveman.

Archived