Vs. American

BaltBird 24

No you coach for thirty years and the wins will somewhat pile up or you won't be coaching at all.

19 years at an ACC school you better get 300 wins or you get fired.

You have to be a pretty damn special coach for them to let you coach "thirty years" including "19 years at an ACC school". I would even go as far as saying that any coach that coaches for 20 years in the ACC is a HOF caliber coach.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This debate is real simple: Gary has done enough in his tenure at MD to warrant staying until he says he is done, I don't necessarily agree with that, but that's the way it is.

However, there are serious serious flaws with the program's current state. To deny that is to be blind to reality.

This debate is real simple: Gary has done enough in his tenure at MD to warrant staying until he says he is done, I don't necessarily agree with that, but that's the way it is.

However, there are serious serious flaws with the program's current state. To deny that is to be blind to reality.

Good summary.

You know, the only items I have a problem with are

1. He hasn't seemed to adapt to the 3-point game, and doesn't recruit shooters.

2. He is married to the flex offense, which doesn't seem too effective if you have a poor shooting team.

But these are hardly items that suggest he should move on

I would have agreed with that statement if he got along with his boss. But he doesn't. They don't like each other one little bit.

No coach at any level should be given this much rope. Past glories should buy a coach forgiveness for a few down years, but at some point you have to cut bait. Sometimes the game passes people by; sometimes a head coach only looks great because of his assistants. I haven't quite gotten to that point with Gary yet, but if this team doesn't improve to the point of making the NCAA tournament in 2008-2009 I'd say it's time to bring in someone new.

I understand that this team is very green, but Gary has had young teams before and they've never been anywhere near this bad. It's hard for me to believe that a group of kids that can't beat AU at home as freshmen and sophomores are somehow going to improve enough to win in the ACC as juniors and seniors.

I understand that this team is very green, but Gary has had young teams before and they've never been anywhere near this bad. It's hard for me to believe that a group of kids that can't beat AU at home as freshmen and sophomores are somehow going to improve enough to win in the ACC as juniors and seniors.

Look this team isn't THAT young. Two of the four leading scorers and rebounders are seniors. Gist and Osby. The other three players that play the most minutes are all sophomores. College basketball teams are mostly young these days. The talented upperclassmen don't stick around. Duke's top 5 players as far as minutes go are a senior, junior, freshman, and two sophomores.

Look this team isn't THAT young. Two of the four leading scorers and rebounders are seniors. Gist and Osby. The other three players that play the most minutes are all sophomores. College basketball teams are mostly young these days. The talented upperclassmen don't stick around. Duke's top 5 players as far as minutes go are a senior, junior, freshman, and two sophomores.

I agree with this, this team is young but not really any younger than other teams. I'm sure they will improve, but if they cant beat OU and AU on homecourt than how high is their ceiling anyway?

Maryland may be slightly younger than Duke but Duke is ready to make a serious NCAA tourney run this year and MD won't be doing that before GV or Hayes leaves (although I hope I'm wrong).

BTerp, you're right about Smith and, to a certain extent, Morris, but you're wrong about Booth and Francis. Both were highly regarded, IIRC.

I'm sick of Gary letting good talent get away. The biggest indictment against his lack of recruiting is the amount of players that played HS ball or were from the MD/DC area that he let get away. Durant, Anthony, Gay, to name a few.

That right there is the root of Gary's problem. MD should own DC and to a lesser extent Baltimore. Big Program in the best conference in the country with great facilities and a recent NC on its resume should = owning the city you live in. After 2002 Gary should have been able to walk into any gym in the DC area and say "I want you, you and you."

The difference really is that Gary and Coach K recruit different types of players. Coach K has 6-7 McDonald's All-Americans who will probably (2-3 at least) leave within their first two years or so. So while they are young, they have pedigree, they are studs. Gary recruits kids that will stay for four years. In two years it will be Vasquez, Hayes, Milbourne, Tucker, Bowie, Dupree, Gus (what is his last name?), Gregory ... they will have played in the system. They will be veterans and they will compete better with Duke and Carolina. This will be a down year.

You cannot compare the youth of Duke and the youth of Maryland simply in terms of years. Duke's youth is much more talented for sure.

That right there is the root of Gary's problem. MD should own DC and to a lesser extent Baltimore. Big Program in the best conference in the country with great facilities and a recent NC on its resume should = owning the city you live in. After 2002 Gary should have been able to walk into any gym in the DC area and say "I want you, you and you."

Two questions, not being a smart-a$$. Is Gary too lazy to recruit the big boys? Does Gary prefer players he will have for 3-4 years? I have heard he is lazy in recruiting. I have heard he prefers to stay away from the 5* studs and focus on brining in players who will be developed into good players.

Two questions, not being a smart-a$$. Is Gary too lazy to recruit the big boys? Does Gary prefer players he will have for 3-4 years? I have heard he is lazy in recruiting. I have heard he prefers to stay away from the 5* studs and focus on brining in players who will be developed into good players.

If that's true it would explain a lot about the current state of the program. Juan Dixon graduated, he's not coming back. And there was only one of him.

He doesn't seem to want the one-and-done guys; even Steve Francis wasn't expected to be that.

And I don't blame him at all.

Yea, because it's impossible to do well with one-and-done guys. That Carmelo Anthony didn't accomplish anything in his one year at Syracuse.

If he really avoids going after top tier talent because he doesn't want them leaving after 1 or 2 years, then that is absolutely unacceptable.

2008-9 Terps

1 Hayes

2 Vasquez

3 Milbourne

4 Gilchrest

5 Dupree

Tucker, Bowie, Mosley, Gregory, Walker, Burney, Neal

8 of the 12 players will be from DC and Baltimore...

DC - Vasquez, Bowie, Walker, Gus Gilchrest, Neal

Baltimore - Dupree, Gregory, Mosley

VA - Hayes, and Milbourne (from Atlanta, but year at Oak Hill)

Can I have the Rivals and Scouts rankings of each of those players in their respective classes?

Archived