Roch: Tigers covet Hardy

ChaosLex

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be extremely hard for this O's team to trade Hardy. The mix just improved too much when he and Machado were on the left side together. If someone wants to overpay, let them. It would be hard to make any trade that doesn't upgrade our current roster though, so you'd need an Upton-type of player as the ultimate return after all of the pieces are in there.

I'm sure Buck loves Hardy. I like him, alot, myself. But, he is not in the same class of player as Bundy, Machado, Jones, and Wieters. These are young, core players that you just can't give up. There's no way that Duquette would trade Hardy without careful thought and more than adequate compensation. If DD trades Hardy, it's going to have to be the type of return that makes the Law's and Stark's of the world say that the other team overpaid. Otherwise, I doubt it happens.

And, I doubt it happens.

And how many names does Buck get to put on this mythical list? I guarantee you Hardy isn't going to be the first name he adds.

As many as he wants. He is a good baseball man and understand the business well. Sounds like he is willing to let a young pitcher or two go in trade.

Agreed. I don't really understand the Morse hate.

Morse is 30 years old and aside from some ABs as a 23 year old has only played significant amounts the past three seasons.

2010 - 293 PA/.870 OPS

2011 - 575 PA/.910 OPS

2012 - 430 PA/.791 OPS

For the most part he's been good to very good in recent years, but it's not an extensive track record and he's had some injuries. He's also not a very good defensive player. I can see why people have some concerns, but it does look like he'd be a nice upgrade at DH/1B.

Morse is 30 years old and aside from some ABs as a 23 year old has only played significant amounts the past three seasons.

2010 - 293 PA/.870 OPS

2011 - 575 PA/.910 OPS

2012 - 430 PA/.791 OPS

For the most part he's been good to very good in recent years, but it's not an extensive track record and he's had some injuries. He's also not a very good defensive player. I can see why people have some concerns, but it does look like he'd be a nice upgrade at DH/1B.

If he's healthy, he's a definite upgrade. Committing 1 year to Morse at less than $7M on the chance that he is fully healthy and can repeat his 2011 is a reasonable gamble, imo.

Sounds sarcastic. However, Morse is a better MOO bat than Reynolds would have been. I was for re-signing Reynolds but if Morse is someone DD thinks he can get, I can see how he is trying to improve the team.

It is pretty much impossible to argue that the O's are "going for it" given their offseason. The only player they've added to their likely MLB roster is Alexi Casilla and that name doesn't feature in anyone's definition of "going for it."

Yes, yes, the season doesn't start today. DD may have some tricks up his sleave but from what we know today -- it is not a "win-now" season. It would be easier (and probably more accurate) to suggest actually that they're mostly looking long-term -- hoping still that Arrieta, Matusz, Tillman, Britton step forward and that Bundy and Gausman join Machado to form an interesting young core for the future.

As for Morse -- he's just not a very good baseball player. If we do get him -- and don't give up much in return -- I don't have a big problem with it but it hardly moves the needle.

I guess I am not understanding how we traded Bedard and Miggy and Guts and were immediately better off, but now JJ Hardy is suddenly too crucial to the 2013 to be dealt.

I also have a tough time understanding folks mentioning some sort of "win now" mode when we should always be in "make the organization better" mode - even if it means taking a step back in 2013 for the major league team's win column - though I emphatically note that dealing Hardy does not necessarily mean our major league team will be worse.

The Tigers are both notorious overpayers for talent and a very natural destination for JJ Hardy.

One can always say, "there is a deal to be made here", but it is especially true in this case - especially if our front office believes MM capable of handling SS.

It is pretty much impossible to argue that the O's are "going for it" given their offseason. The only player they've added to their likely MLB roster is Alexi Casilla and that name doesn't feature in anyone's definition of "going for it."

Yes, yes, the season doesn't start today. DD may have some tricks up his sleave but from what we know today -- it is not a "win-now" season. It would be easier (and probably more accurate) to suggest actually that they're mostly looking long-term -- hoping still that Arrieta, Matusz, Tillman, Britton step forward and that Bundy and Gausman join Machado to form an interesting young core for the future.

As for Morse -- he's just not a very good baseball player. If we do get him -- and don't give up much in return -- I don't have a big problem with it but it hardly moves the needle.

He's got a lifetime 126 OPS+. For comparison purposes, Upton's got a 117 OPS+. And in Upton's 4th place MVP season, Morse had a beeter OPS (and was 19th in the MVP voting). Obviously, everyone would rather have Upton because of his age and upside, but Morse is a better hitter who would significantly improve the O's, and wouldn't cost anywhere near what Upton would cost - in terms of players to trade and dollars to pay - meaning the O's would have more resources available to improve the team elsewhere.

He's got a lifetime 126 OPS+. For comparison purposes, Upton's got a 117 OPS+. And in Upton's 4th place MVP season, Morse had a beeter OPS (and was 19th in the MVP voting). Obviously, everyone would rather have Upton because of his age and upside, but Morse is a better hitter who would significantly improve the O's, and wouldn't cost anywhere near what Upton would cost - in terms of players to trade and dollars to pay - meaning the O's would have more resources available to improve the team elsewhere.

And yet, though any team can have this supposed fabulous hitter for a bullpen arm, there doesn't appear that much interest. Kinda makes you wonder, doesn't it? ;)

Archived