Roch: Tigers covet Hardy

ChaosLex

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the Cub rumors involving Detroit over the last half year have always involved Marmol/Barney. There is zero chance they move Garza for only Porcello and less than zero it's Samardzija. My guess would be something like

Detroit: Marmol+Hardy

Cubs: Porcello+ so so propsect

Orioles: Barney+ good, but not great prospect from Detroit(Asvisail Garcia?)

All the Cub rumors involving Detroit over the last half year have always involved Marmol/Barney. There is zero chance they move Garza for only Porcello and less than zero it's Samardzija. My guess would be something like

Detroit: Marmol+Hardy

Cubs: Porcello+ so so propsect

Orioles: Barney+ good, but not great prospect from Detroit

Cubs are trading Marmol + Barney for Porcello?

The O's are not in a win now mode, but they are not rebuilding either. I think DD's plan last year was to work to lay the groundwork for a pipeline of good young players from the MiL, that would make us a continuous contender in spite of where the MFY and SUX are, while getting the ML club to .500. They surprised him. Now he has to continue building the pipeline while maintaining the appearence of contention for the ML club. All this within strict budgetary contraints. DET could really use Hardy, so theuy have to pay up to get him. Porcello and Castellanos maybe, depending on what you think of Castellanos. What about Porcello and Soler if we include tjhe Cubs?

As much time as people spend on this board and on following the O's, one would think that they understand what is happening, but somehow plain logic and addition does not seem to be convincing to them.

DD has stated that he wants to add a starting pitcher and a MOO bat- repeatly. All off season. About the worst kept secret anywhere is that the are talking to Saunders as the starter and are interested in Morse as one of their option for a MOO bat. If Saunders gets pay what he got last year, 6M is a minimum. Morse is under contract for 6.75M. That is an additional 12.75M.

I have posted several times that the projected payroll after signing arbitration eligible players and young players on the 25 man roster is about 86.4M plus 12.75M equals 99.15M. I am not saying the numbers are 100% correct but they are close. I am not saying that DD can pull off signing who he wants to sign, but it appears he is trying.

If the O's enter the season with anything close to 100M payroll - they are going for it. It would be the highest payroll in their history.

So I think if we listen to what is being said by the GM and apply a little logic we can see that just because the time of the off season has not arrived for DD to make the moves he wants to make, it does not mean the O's are not in "GO FOR IT" mode.

The calculus is different when you are coming off a 93-win season and have a core of players who will be in their prime the next 2-3 years. Obviously I am not saying Hardy (or anyone else) is untouchable, but losing him is likely to weaken our defense at both positions on the left side of the infield, and so there has to be a damned good reason for doing so.

By the way, I have little doubt that Machado can be a solid defensive SS. He's still going to be a step down from Hardy, especially in the first year or two. And it's highly likely the new 3B won't be as good as Machado was there.

The calculus is different to WHO? Is JJ Hardy on anyone's list of top 100 players in baseball?

It's pretty simple - if the organization can be made better by trading JJ Hardy, then that's what you do.

There are numerous examples of teams trading or not signing critical players and being better off. Not only are there examples with the Orioles, but Tampa does this all the time - dealing Garza, letting Crawford and Soriano leave, etc and that team still competes.

It is all about the players who are acquired, the ones in line to take the place of guys traded and the likely impact (in terms of cost and production) in the current and future seasons. I appreciate JJ Hardy's contributions to the team, but it's not difficult in my mind to imagine a trade for quality prospects leaving the organization in a better place.

The O's are not in a win now mode, but they are not rebuilding either. I think DD's plan last year was to work top lay the groundwork for a pipeline of good young players from the MiL that would make us a continuous contender in spite of where the MFY and SUX while getting the ML club to .500. They surprised him. Now he has to continue building the pieline while maintaining the appearence of contention for the ML club. All this within strict budgetary contraints. DET could really use Hardy, so theuy have to pay up to get him. Porcello and Castellanos maybe, deppending on what you think of Castellanos. What about Porcello and Soler if we include tjhe Cubs?

Agreed Gordo.

The O's are not in a win now mode, but they are not rebuilding either. I think DD's plan last year was to work top lay the groundwork for a pipeline of good young players from the MiL that would make us a continuous contender in spite of where the MFY and SUX while getting the ML club to .500. They surprised him. Now he has to continue building the pieline while maintaining the appearence of contention for the ML club. All this within strict budgetary contraints. DET could really use Hardy, so theuy have to pay up to get him. Porcello and Castellanos maybe, deppending on what you think of Castellanos. What about Porcello and Soler if we include tjhe Cubs?

What could the Cubs possibly be getting that they'd give up a top 40 prospect in baseball for?

I think if we listen to what is being said by the GM and apply a little logic we can see that just because the time of the off season has not arrived for DD to make the moves he wants to make, it does not mean the O's are not in "GO FOR IT" mode.

I think Saunders and Morse are not what comes to mind for most people when they think of a "go for it" strategy. Neither is exactly a flashy proposition. It's almost like saying the O's had a "go for it" strategy when they signed Aubrey Huff in 2007 and took their payroll to $93 mm, which I believe is the highest in team history to date.

The O's are not in a win now mode, but they are not rebuilding either. I think DD's plan last year was to work to lay the groundwork for a pipeline of good young players from the MiL, that would make us a continuous contender in spite of where the MFY and SUX are, while getting the ML club to .500. They surprised him. Now he has to continue building the pipeline while maintaining the appearence of contention for the ML club. All this within strict budgetary contraints. DET could really use Hardy, so theuy have to pay up to get him. Porcello and Castellanos maybe, depending on what you think of Castellanos. What about Porcello and Soler if we include tjhe Cubs?

If you think Buck and DD are "Maintaining appearances" they are difference man from the guys I think they are. I think these two want to win now and see the opportunity with the O's players and the drop back several other teams in the division. Maintaining appearance never enters their minds IMO.

I think Saunders and Morse are not what comes to mind for most people when they think of a "go for it" strategy. Neither is exactly a flashy proposition. It's almost like saying the O's had a "go for it" strategy when they signed Aubrey Huff in 2007 and took their payroll to $93 mm, which I believe is the highest in team history to date.

A go for it strategy has the chance of crippling our organization for another 15 years.

As much time as people spend on this board and on following the O's, one would think that they understand what is happening, but somehow plain logic and addition does not seem to be convincing to them.

DD has stated that he wants to add a starting pitcher and a MOO bat- repeatly. All off season. About the worst kept secret anywhere is that the are talking to Saunders as the starter and are interested in Morse as one of their option for a MOO bat. If Saunders gets pay what he got last year, 6M is a minimum. Morse is under contract for 6.75M. That is an additional 12.75M.

I have posted several times that the projected payroll after signing arbitration eligible players and young players on the 25 man roster is about 86.4M plus 12.75M equals 99.15M. I am not saying the numbers are 100% correct but they are close. I am not saying that DD can pull off signing who he wants to sign, but it appears he is trying.

If the O's enter the season with anything close to 100M payroll - they are going for it. It would be the highest payroll in their history.

So I think if we listen to what is being said by the GM and apply a little logic we can see that just because the time of the off season has not arrived for DD to make the moves he wants to make, it does not mean the O's are not in "GO FOR IT" mode.

The Tigers are in the GO FOR IT MODE. so are the Angles. If the O's were truly in the GO FOR IT MODE they would have been in on Greinke and Hamilton, and have been willing to take the payroll to 150M.

Archived