Orioles drop demand for Jay Bruce

ChaosLex

Hopefully this hasn't been mentioned in another thread already...

"John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer says the Orioles have backed off on their demand for Jay Bruce from the Reds in a Bedard deal. He says they still require three top prospects, who would probably be Homer Bailey, Johnny Cueto, and Joey Votto."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2007/12/orioles-may-hol.html

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer says the Orioles have backed off on their demand for Jay Bruce from the Reds in a Bedard deal. He says they still require three top prospects, who would probably be Homer Bailey, Johnny Cueto, and Joey Votto."

I mentioned it in another thread, but it doesn't seem like it helped the direction of it any...

I am glad to see the only thing holding up this deal was us demanding Bruce. I don't mind us dropping this demand, as I think Votto and Cueto would be enough to center the deal on. Hopefully now we'll make some real progress and get the pieces for the future. It blows my mind to think we could POTENTIALLY have a worthwhile 1B again...

I was just about to post this.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/2007/12/implications-of-hamilton-trade.asp

We need to stop thinking we are going to get those 3 as well.

Cueto OR Bailey and Votto need to be in the package.

Others who should be included are EE, Maloney and Stubbs.

(not saying all 3)

EE could make it just a 3 for 1 or the other 2 make it a 4 for 1.

If you are able to get all 3 of those guys and have to send Bradford and perhaps a mid level prospect(preferably on our 40 man), then you do that as well.

Dorfmac did, but I am pleased that you did this anyway, because that Boogs BBQ thread is not going well at all. :P

I prefer Bailey to Cueto, but getting both of them and Votto would be a coup in my view. Bailey, Votto, Stubbs and a 4th may be what we get, but again, the thought of "settling" for those top three guys (besides Bruce) tickles my fancy (whatever that means :D ).

I mentioned it in another thread, but it doesn't seem like it helped the direction of it any...

I am glad to see the only thing holding up this deal was us demanding Bruce. I don't mind us dropping this demand, as I think Votto and Cueto would be enough to center the deal on. Hopefully now we'll make some real progress and get the pieces for the future. It blows my mind to think we could POTENTIALLY have a worthwhile 1B again...

Sorry dude. Didn't mean to step on your toes.

I'll give you some positive rep for reporting this first though. :)

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/2007/12/implications-of-hamilton-trade.asp

(not saying all 3)

If you are able to get all 3 of those guys and have to send Bradford and perhaps a mid level prospect(preferably on our 40 man), then you do that as well.

Agreed. Bailey is preferable to me, but I digress, Cueto/Bailey, Votto, Stubbs, 4th (Maloney is OK) should get the deal sealed. Only last minute Jones, Clement and Morrow OR Hamilton, Hurley and Andrus deal(s) would seem to rival it.

Dorfmac did, but I am pleased that you did this anyway, because that Boogs BBQ thread is not going well at all. :P

I prefer Bailey to Cueto, but getting both of them and Votto would be a coup in my view. Bailey, Votto, Stubbs and a 4th may be what we get, but again, the thought of "settling" for those top three guys (besides Bruce) tickles my fancy (whatever that means :D ).

Whatever your "fancy" is, keep it off the board...This is a family oriented site! :D

(not saying all 3)

Well what were we originally asking for? Do we know? If it was Bruce, Votto, Bailey - then the obvious next step would be to start asking for Cueto, Votto and Bailey, and then on down from there. I agree it would be difficult to get those three, and we probably would have to settle, but asking for those three is logically the next step in the negotiations. We dropped our demand, now they have to step up a little, then we'll drop a little more, until we find that medium.

Agreed. Bailey is preferable to me, but I digress, Cueto/Bailey, Votto, Stubbs, 4th (Maloney is OK) should get the deal sealed. Only last minute Jones, Clement and Morrow OR Hamilton, Hurley and Andrus deal(s) would seem to rival it.

My preference would be Votto, Cueto/Bailey and EE.

If we can make it more than 3 players, great but if we could only do 3 with EE, I would do that over Stubbs and Maloney.

Well what were we originally asking for? Do we know? If it was Bruce, Votto, Bailey - then the obvious next step would be to start asking for Cueto, Votto and Bailey, and then on down from there. I agree it would be difficult to get those three, and we probably would have to settle, but asking for those three is logically the next step in the negotiations. We dropped our demand, now they have to step up a little, then we'll drop a little more, until we find that medium.

At some point, you need to stop playing games...This negotiation tactic bs needs to stop.

The Reds aren't THAT desperate and there are other guys out there they could get for less....They want Bedard because he is the best out there but they aren't going to be stupid about it.

It seems to me that they would trade Cueto or Bailey and Votto...So, now what else do you ask for?

EE makes the most sense IMO as he has the highest upside and fills a potential hole(Moore can play everywhere).

At some point, you need to stop playing games...This negotiation tactic bs needs to stop.

The Reds aren't THAT desperate and there are other guys out there they could get for less....They want Bedard because he is the best out there but they aren't going to be stupid about it.

It seems to me that they would trade Cueto or Bailey and Votto...So, now what else do you ask for?

EE makes the most sense IMO as he has the highest upside and fills a potential hole(Moore can play everywhere).

And this is where I agree with you. If you're done f-ing around, then this is what you accept and be satisfied with. At least with EE, we can ship Mora out without thinking twice about it. Stubbs is vastly overrated anyway, I believe. I think even Luis Hernandez could pull out a .785 OPS in A ball at the age of 22. Was that guy honestly a 1st round pick?

Archived