Orioles drop demand for Jay Bruce

ChaosLex

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's say we want Bailey, Cueto, Votto, and Stubbs. It's pretty clear to all of us that this is too much for Bedard, and that AM would be pretty unreasonable in asking for this package.

Consequently, we're all thinking the Reds would need to drop quantity and/or quality from the deal in order to make it work. But what about an idea that was hit on in a Mariners blog the other day? We tell them the package we want, and then at least SOME of the negotiations are focused on what WE can do to get that package (i.e. add in players/prospects).

While Bedard for Bailey, Cueto, Votto, and Stubbs might not work, maybe the Reds would be a lot more willing to do it if we added in Millar to replace Votto in the every day lineup, or Olson/Liz to add to a depleted group of pitching prospects, or both? Or if that's too much on our end, maybe then they can add the half-retired SS, or something of that nature. Or we could add in a RP that we don't need.

What about Bedard, Millar, and Liz/Olson for Bailey, Cueto, Votto, Stubbs, and Loo? Or add in a reliever type on our side.

If that was more do-able, maybe we'd be able to get our desired package, and it would only really cost us one mid-level pitching prospect.

EDIT: I see SG has already proposed such a deal while I was typing. I think it's worth keeping in mind that a Bedard trade doesn't have to be limited to just Bedard. We have some other pieces that would probably have positive value for teams looking to contend, and I don't see why we shouldn't use them to procure more high-end talent.

The Reds are NOT going to give up BOTH Bailey and Cueto. Just because they made that trade yesterday does not mean they are going to give up even more pitching for a guy they could possibly only have for two years. Bailey/Cueto, Votto, and two other prospects is probably going to be the proposed deal and if the prospects are Stubbs and Maloney, that sounds very fair to me. EE has been the regular 3B for pretty much two seasons now so I don't think he's going anywhere, especially after the progress he made defensively this past season. He's also one of their only righties right now on a team filled with lefties so that makes him extra valuable in the lineup.

And no offense meant but I don't think the Reds want to take anyone else back from the O's in any proposed deal. They have a lot of position players and they just looking for the pitching so any extra players from the O's are probably not going to be in the deal. Just my opinion though for whatever that's worth which probably isn't much, LOL ;)

Way to back off after they've already traded Hamilton.

I think Hamilton is very interesting too. If it was up to me, Hamilton would be a complicated decision: on the one hand this, on the other hand that. Tremendous upside, no doubt about that. But, since it's not up to me, I don't think that matters at all, simply because I expect that AM is not gonna touch him with a 10-foot pole... or anybody else whose name has popped up in same sentence with the word "trouble"...

The Reds are NOT going to give up BOTH Bailey and Cueto. Just because they made that trade yesterday does not mean they are going to give up even more pitching for a guy they could possibly only have for two years. Bailey/Cueto, Votto, and two other prospects is probably going to be the proposed deal and if the prospects are Stubbs and Maloney, that sounds very fair to me. EE has been the regular 3B for pretty much two seasons now so I don't think he's going anywhere, especially after the progress he made defensively this past season. He's also one of their only righties right now on a team filled with lefties so that makes him extra valuable in the lineup.

And no offense meant but I don't think the Reds want to take anyone else back from the O's in any proposed deal. They have a lot of position players and they just looking for the pitching so any extra players from the O's are probably not going to be in the deal. Just my opinion though for whatever that's worth which probably isn't much, LOL ;)

I totally agree with you Heather.

I would make that deal in a minute- Bailey (or Cueto) Votto, Stubbs, Maloney for Bedard.

In fact, I would be surprised if we could get all 4. I am thinking Bailey, Votto, and a 3rd (Stubbs OR Maloney). And it would still be a fair trade. Getting the 4th would make it a slam dunk for me.

If the Reds dont need position players then we could add a young pitcher to help even it out. We've added some depth there to what we already had so someone like Olson or Penn may be added depending on what the Reds put in on their side.

I totally agree with you Heather.

I would make that deal in a minute- Bailey (or Cueto) Votto, Stubbs, Maloney for Bedard.

In fact, I would be surprised if we could get all 4. I am thinking Bailey, Votto, and a 3rd (Stubbs OR Maloney). And it would still be a fair trade. Getting the 4th would make it a slam dunk for me.

ITA about three of those guys I mentioned being more likely but I mentioned four players so people wouldn't get mad at me or think I'm lowballing Erik's worth or something like that, LOL ;)

I guess I'm just very on the fence about this whole thing being a fan of both teams but the Reds are my hometown team. They're the team I've been a fan of my whole life. On the one hand, I LOVE having all these young pitchers in the organization because the Reds haven't had that in so long and I keep thinking back to what Detroit did last year with a very young pitching staff (i.e. got to the World Series). On the other hand, I know having a pitcher of Erik's caliber is a very good thing and would give them more of an edge in the NL Central. I actually go back and forth with this every single day. This whole thing just makes me glad I'm not a GM because that's a hard decision and I just hope the right decision is made in the end. :eek:

A very well said post.

As a Reds fan I would love very much to have Bedard in the #2 spot behind Harang and in front of Arroyo.But A deal of Bailey,Cueto, and Votto isnt nor should it happen.I know you guys are wanting 3 of these 4 Bailey,Cueto,EE,and Votto but its not going to happen.I could see WK giving up 2 of those 4 but not both Bailey and Cueto.I for one would love to see a deal of Cueto,Votto,Stubbs,Dorn,and Coffey for Bedard and Bradford.I think this is a fair trade on both sides.Talent going both ways and I believe the fans of both teams would be happy.I have a funny feeling that something will get done now that ths O's arent demanding Bruce in a trade.I believe AM starts out asking for 3 of the 4 but brings his asking price down in the coming days or in a week or so when he realizes that no one is going to give him that kind of return for Bedard.Heres to something getting worked out in the coming weeks for the fans of both teams sake.

Would you rather keep him, or give him up for nothing?

I would rather trade him for the best available offer, this off-season. Then hold him and get even less next off-season, or nothing when he walks. His value is the highest right now, no matter what we think he is worth, we will never get more for him than right now.

As a Reds fan I would love very much to have Bedard in the #2 spot behind Harang and in front of Arroyo.But A deal of Bailey,Cueto, and Votto isnt nor should it happen.I know you guys are wanting 3 of these 4 Bailey,Cueto,EE,and Votto but its not going to happen.I could see WK giving up 2 of those 4 but not both Bailey and Cueto.I for one would love to see a deal of Cueto,Votto,Stubbs,Dorn,and Coffey for Bedard and Bradford.I think this is a fair trade on both sides.Talent going both ways and I believe the fans of both teams would be happy.I have a funny feeling that something will get done now that ths O's arent demanding Bruce in a trade.I believe AM starts out asking for 3 of the 4 but brings his asking price down in the coming days or in a week or so when he realizes that no one is going to give him that kind of return for Bedard.Heres to something getting worked out in the coming weeks for the fans of both teams sake.

Good post and an interesting proposal. I agree that we will not get both Bailey and Cueto, but one or the other. Votto seems to all to be the only fixture to a EB deal. I like Bailey moreso, so he, Votto and Stubbs would do it for me w/o a 4th, giving up Bradford in the deal and getting Dorn and Coffey makes it even better.

Archived