What O's HOF (provided they were in their prime) would you add to the current roster?

ChaosLex

What O's HOF would you add to the current roster?  

134 members have voted

1. 1. What O's HOF would you add to the current roster?

There's a difference between prime years and peak year. Cal's prime was between ages 22-30 when he aceraged an .822 OPS and a 131 OPS+. His age 30 year was his peak, when he put up a 162 OPS+. The rest of his career to age 40 he averged a 96 OPS +

If you are considering career averages, then you are having a different argument than me (or than the OP intended).

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In Cal's best years, he was better than Frank ever was. Over the course of their careers, Frank was the better player.

I can't make it any simpler than that.

I think this is a fair enough statement. Cal played the most demanding defensive position on the field, and was far above average at doing so in his best years. And, he was a very good hitter for his position.

I think there are several reasons a lot of Oriole fans regard Frank as the better player:

1. He was the better hitter by a wide margin.

2. He was a fiery, outspoken leader.

3. The Orioles won a ton of games while he was here.

I'd venture a guess that if Cal had played on the 1966-71 Orioles instead of Luis Aparicio and Mark Belanger, and the O's had a decent player in RF instead of Frank, the Orioles would have done very well. But we'll never know. Frank Robinson is associated with the Orioles winning; Cal, not so much, though he was MVP of a World Series-winning team and played on a couple other playoff teams.

If you are considering career averages, then you are having a different argument than me (or than the OP intended).
Depends on what you consider being in ones prime means. In most cases people take a players prime to be the years he has his peak consistency. Often ages 26-32 are regarded as prime. but in the case of Cal for example his best years came earlier in his career. His 162 OPS+season came at age 30, and was an outlier, after years of 105, 128,1 05, 114. After that he was in the 90's except for seasons at 107, 102 and a half year at 144. On the other hand Frank's prime could be regarded as virtually his whole career. He had 7 seasons at 160 OPS+ or better. In only 6 of his 21 seasons did he ever hit below a 140 OPS+, only below 130 in 4, and 3 of those were in his last years with CAL and CLE. But I'll take his peak season of 198 OPS+ if that's the game we want to play.

Archived