Your First Home O's Game!

MachadOboutManny

Must have been 1959, because I remember seeing the O's play pre-Gentile. I was five. Don't remember who we played or anything about the game, but I'll never forget my first view of that beautiful green field after walking up those concrete ramps and the seemingly magic aroma of beer-scented cigar smoke.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
June of 2009. Os lost to the Mets 2-0 Matusz pitched 8 1/3 innings gave up two hits and got the loss ha

Not sure how old you are but how did you become an O's fan? Enough to drive (fly?) to Balmer from KY. For Brian freakin' Matusz. :P

My first game was early in 1954. I was 11 years old. I remember the the Orioles won. My grandfather took me to see Orioles play the Washington Senators. My grandfather was a Senators fan and we had gone to Washington to see the Senators play in previous years. I had also been to a couple Orioles games before that when they were still in the International league.

My first game was Aug 3rd, 1990. Boy was it a great game! O's won 14-1! Cal hit two homers along with Sam Horn and Joe Orsulak. But that was only half of the fireworks. Steve Craford plunked Brady Anderson for some weird reason. Could have sworn it was because he stole a base when the O's were up by alot but I can't find any stolen bases in the box score. But Brady took excetion to it and charged the mound. It wasn't your run of the mill bench clearings either. I remember some fists flying and Pete Harnisch bodyslamming George Brett! I don't know exactly what went through my mind but I had a feeling like "It's all got to be downhill from here".

My first game was sometime in the mid 70's - pre Eddie Murray.

It was a weeknight and kids got the giveaway hats that night. I talked my dad into taking me and a friend to the game at the last minute. Traffic on 33rd was a mess. We got into the game late and sat in the upper deck, 3rd base side.

Right after we got in our seats the pitcher brushed back Lee May and he hit the dirt. Next pitch was the exact same thing. Lee May hit the dirt again. What ensued next got me hooked on the Orioles. Lee May threw his bat at the pitcher then he charged the mound. The dugouts emptied. Bullpens for both teams emptied and pitchers were charging in thru the OF to the pitchers mound.

I dont know how much of a fight there really was, but as a young kid it seemed like a really big deal at the time. Of course, Lee May was ejected.

I dont remember who the O's played or who won that game, or even what year it was. I do remember Lee May was my favorite Oriole for a brief time after that though. I've been hooked on the Orioles ever since.

First one I remember was 1985, my 11th B-day, my mom hauled me and four or five of my friends to Memorial. Seats upper deck behind the plate. Bottom of the 9th, Fred Lynn hit a three-run shot for the walk-off with Cal on 3rd, and Eddie on 1st. Madness in the streets after the game. O's FAN FOR LIFE!!!!!!

My first Orioles home game came on May 24, 1978 against the Detroit Tigers with my eighth grade Catholic school class (the game was an annual tradition for the school). It was a chilly, rainy afternoon game but we were lucky because our seats were under the upper deck. We arrived at the stadium early (after visiting a Baltimore art museum and mansion because there had to be an educational element to the trip) and were able to watch batting practice. I was able to obtain autographs from Carlos Lopez, Kiko Garcia, Terry Crowley, and Larry Harlow, among others. I was excited to see Dennis Martinez that day as he was my favorite Orioles pitcher at the time.

The game was close but the Orioles lost late in the game by the score 3-2 but it was a great experience. I always remembered John Hiller as the pitcher who closed out the game for Detroit.

I've stated this in a thread in the past, but we used to go see the O's at the HHH Metrodome every year. The first time that I vaguely remember seeing them was in '84, as I remember the talk about them being the WS Champs, as was the case in the sticker/trivia/nickname book that some company put out every year. My dad was friends with the AD at the U of Iowa, so he was a big Boddicker supporter. We caught an O's series every year in Minneapolis, and I just remember being infatuated with the cartoon bird. Funny how I moved to Baltimore in 2004 all the way from North Dakota, and caught my first game at Camden on 7/24/04 vs. none other than the Twins. The O's won! Sat in Eutaw bleachers.

Did they win?

What year?

Who did they play?

Favorite memory of the game?

My first home game was June 19, 2008. They were playing the Astros in Miggy's return to Baltimore. They won the game 7-5 on homers from Aubrey Huff, Ramon Hernandez and Alex Cintron with Brian Burress getting the W. My favorite memory was approaching Eutaw from behind the scoreboard and finding the #5. I was 24 at the time and I've been back to see 3 games since...all wins against the Red Sox in the last home series of 2012 when they honored #5. This time it was obviously seeing Brooks, but outside of that, it was cracking open my first ever Natty Boh in my hotel room after we clinched a playoff berth.

My first was in 1993 against the Milwaukee Brewers. I was 8 years old and I don't remember a ton about the game other than I went with my father, mother and sister and we sat in the upper deck right behind home plate. My favorite memory was getting my baseball signed by Mike Mussina, Brad Pennington and Fernando Valenzuela. I still have the ball on the top of my computer table.

My first home game was June 19, 2008. They were playing the Astros in Miggy's return to Baltimore. They won the game 7-5 on homers from Aubrey Huff, Ramon Hernandez and Alex Cintron with Brian Burress getting the W. My favorite memory was approaching Eutaw from behind the scoreboard and finding the #5. I was 24 at the time and I've been back to see 3 games since...all wins against the Red Sox in the last home series of 2012 when they honored #5. This time it was obviously seeing Brooks, but outside of that, it was cracking open my first ever Natty Boh in my hotel room after we clinched a playoff berth.

I high five the silver 5 EVERY time I walk into the stadium. Preferably with my glove.

I was 7 but can't for the life of me remember who we played. I remember being very excited to see Brady Anderson hit a home run and a tad disgusted about my Mom's love for BJ Surhoffs rear end( Left Field seats). We lost but it didn't matter, I was already a lifer by that point.

Archived