Your First Home O's Game!

MachadOboutManny

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

06-27-1988 vs Toronto Blue Jays 6-2 W 21-54

06-28-1988 vs Toronto Blue Jays 7-0 W 22-54

06-29-1988 vs Toronto Blue Jays 2-4 L 22-55

First trip ever to Baltimore. Felt like I was in heaven walking around Memorial Stadium. Took hundreds of pictures (until I ran out of film). Stopped at the Babe Ruth Museum, Inner Harbor area and Fells Point.

Glad my girlfriend (now wife convinced me to go), as I would have hated to have missed being in that stadium in my lifetime.

That's so cool. Where did these games take place?

The games I saw were at Memorial Stadium. I think the first game was about 1951, but I remember that the second deck was not built yet. I went to maybe 4-5 International League Orioles games before they got a MLB team in 1954.

Man, I would so count the pre-1954 O's games in my tally! That puts you in a higher stratosphere of fan! Did you see any games pre-Memorial Stadium, like at the football stadium (Municipal Stadium) they used after the old Federal League park burned in '44?

My family moved from North Carolina to Baltimore in 1950. My Mom's parents lived here and I remember my grandfather took me to see a few Senators games. They were my first MLB games.

I want to think it was 1951 when I went to see my first Orioles game. It was at Memorial Stadium, but I remember that the second deck was not built yet. I saw a total of maybe 4-5 Orioles games before they got a MLB team.

This (July 16, 1978 vs. Texas) is the first game I remember. I know I had been to games when I was younger because my parents had pictures of me on the field at Memorial Stadium when they had a "Meet the players on the field night".

I remember this game as I was with my little league team (I was almost 12), and the O's won in the 12th on a pinch-hit, two-out hit by Terry Crowley. My dad and uncle took the team to the game as they were coaches for our team. We sat in the LF bleachers and had a ball!

I think it was '79 or '80. We beat the Indians. I made the egregious error of insulting the fat guy in the ticket booth for being incredibly slow and I ended up with a seat right behind one of the pillars in the bottom deck, haha. Me and some buddies rode our motorcycles to the east coast. Had a great time.

1974 vs. the Red Sox. No idea who won. I was VERY young (4). I remember asking my Dad what this was. I was born in the UK, though my parents were Americans and I had never seen baseball. I recall lots of smoke, and how steep the stairs were. I got hooked from that point on.

My family moved from North Carolina to Baltimore in 1950. My Mom's parents lived here and I remember my grandfather took me to see a few Senators games. They were my first MLB games.

I want to think it was 1951 when I went to see my first Orioles game. It was at Memorial Stadium, but I remember that the second deck was not built yet. I saw a total of maybe 4-5 Orioles games before they got a MLB team.

Griffith Stadium. Now there was a retro ballpark...

5-12-1986 vs. White Sox. I wasn't even 4 years old yet. The only memory I have was not being able to understand what was going on. My dad made sure that I got to see Earl Weaver manage one game. There were about a dozen other games that I attended at Memorial stadium before they moved. I do remember one game there was a nasty thunderstorm come through. That same game Mickey Tettleton hit a homerun. Other than that I remember tailgating in the parking lot with my family a few times.

My first game at Camden Yards was the 1993 Mariners brawl. I remember it well. We were there for our Little League trip.

Another Little League trip, I was there for the game that Rex Hudler became the first to hit the ball in the 2nd deck. I remember it went straight over my head.

Another trip, I was there for a game, I don't remember which one or what the date was, but I remember there being A LOT of homeruns hit. I think between the two teams it was 9? That may have been the game that the Orioles hit 5. It was a record or something for most by the Orioles in a game at OPACY. Too tired to look it up. I think the Orioles just beat that record last year against Boston while I was in Providence. I was at a bar and they were actually CHEERING for the O's. Everybody got behind them.

The only two Hangout games that I have ever been to, the Orioles walked off both games. The first one MelMo hit an opposite field shot. That was the game that I met Weams and he repped me because I told him that MelMo was either due or done. He was due.

The last Hangout game was the Sept. 12th weeknight game against Tampa. You know, the game that Machado punked the guy running to third with a fake to first. You know, the game that Nate hit the scoreboard right by us and they walked off. The game that Chris Davis grabbed Nate's butt and paraded him around the infield over his shoulder. Good times. :)

Don't remember the exact date, but I believe it was either 1989 or 1990 (I was only 8 or 9 at the time), my dad and brother and cousin and I drove up to Baltimore from Norfolk to watch an O's game at Memorial Stadium. Remember being amazed to see Cal Ripken in person for the first time and just being in awe of everything.

Being born and raised here in Norfolk and watching the Tidewater Tides growing up, I got to see some of the mets top prospects (although I was a littlr too young to remember strawberry, Gooden etc.) but I did get to see Greg Jeffries and some other top prospects and old Ron gardenhire and davey Johnson were the managers. But anyways, back to the original points, I was absolutely stunned as a young kid walking into memorial stadium at how massive it was compared to Tides park. I was blown away as this area has never had anything of that scope and size and I remember spending as much time looking around the place as I did watching the actual game.

Ben McDonald signed my ball before the game and I thought that was the coolest thing ever (he was our young hotshot rookie at the time) and I still have it in my man cave along with a few other pieces of choice memorabilia.

1987 at Memorial stadium, i was 6 yrs old. Don't remember much of the game except that it was little league day and i got to walk around the field on the warning track with my team, eat hot dogs in the upper deck, and i vaguely remember a batter striking out and slamming his helmet on the ground.

Game 7 of the 1971 world series. Steve Blass shuts down the vaunted O's offense. Great pitchers duel but very disappointing. The think I take away from it is that I never heard 58,000 people so quiet as we shuffled out of Memorial Stadium. Interesting that we walked up the box office and bought tickets before the game. Imagine that...

Archived