Your First Home O's Game!

MachadOboutManny

July 9, 1993. Against the White Sox. We won, apparently 15-6. I was 14. I just remember it being INSANELY hot (BR tells me 101--and this was a night game!). I lived in Connecticut at the time and my grandparents had managed to get us a box in the club level, and we had a room inside PLUS the outside. The heat meant I spent most of the game inside, or exploring the club level. I remember virtually nothing about the game itself. I certainly didn't realized David Segui was on the team!

I never made it to Memorial Stadium. My dad took my sister and a couple of cousins a few years earlier, but not me. We had gone to a number of Yankees games when I was really little, and I'd get bored, so he figured that at 10 or 11, I'd still find them boring. (I still rag him about this.)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did they win?

What year?

Who did they play?

Favorite memory of the game?

My first was at old Memorial Stadium against the White Sox. The Os won (I think it was 3-1 in 1985 - pretty early in the season) I was 5, and my favorite memory was my dad teaching me how to score the game play by play and then collecting all sorts of cups people left behind with my cousin. We must have left with 200 cups...

I absolutely loved getting out to the yard with my pops the time or two a year that we could make it up from the DC area.

My first was when for my 9th birthday in 1994. They were playing the Detroit Tigers. Mike Mussina was pitching for the Os. I don't remember who was pitching for the Tigers. The game itself was a thriller. The Os quickly went down 7-0, came back to take a 9-7 lead, lost that lead and fell behind 11-9, only to come back and win again 13-11.

Interestingly, my second game the next year was against the Twins. Pitching for the Twins was Scott Erickson. After the game, on the way back to the hotel, ESPN radio announced that Erickson had been traded to the Os.

Looked it up online and apparently I completely mis-remembered the ball game. The Os were down 7-1 and came back with an 8 run 6th inning en route to a 12-9 win. Still a fun game. It was also my 8th birthday gift in 1993.

Mussina got lit up for 5 runs in 1.2 innings of work.

Sunday, April 17, 1966 with my Dad...box seats at old Memorial Stadium...Orioles beat Yankees by scoring two runs in the eighth inning. Frank Robinson, newly acquired, had two hits. Paul Blair hit a home run. I still have the scorecard (I was eight years old).

It was the summer of 1974. I lived in Norfolk, at the time home of the Met's AAA farm team. Big Bird fan though. Our family went to NYC for vacation; I talked them into stopping in Baltimore so I could see a game. My big bro and I went, sat in some good seats in lowest level on 3rd base side. Don't remember who was pitching, but I remember Don Baylor stealing second. Then stealing third. Then getting hit in by an Earl Williams HR! Birds won 4-1.

Other memorable games: 4th of July weekend 1975- I remember a Tommy Davis GS, fireworks after the game and a great Brooks play at 3rd. Also 1979 ALCS- John Lowenstein's game winning HR.

Currently live in Seattle area. Get to see the Birds when they play the Mariners, couple of times a year.

Game 7 of the 1971 world series. Steve Blass shuts down the vaunted O's offense. Great pitchers duel but very disappointing. The think I take away from it is that I never heard 58,000 people so quiet as we shuffled out of Memorial Stadium. Interesting that we walked up the box office and bought tickets before the game. Imagine that...

Wow. What a first game.

My first O's home game will be this April. :) Can I crash on someone couch? Haha.
Talk to me as the date draws near.

And remember, you can crash at my place if you want to go to a few games at Yankee Stadium. It will make your trip more worth while if you go to several games in one shot.

Patrick (Oriole Fan From New York)

Talk to me as the date draws near.
And remember, you can crash at my place if you want to go to a few games at Yankee Stadium. It will make your trip more worth while if you go to several games in one shot.

Patrick (Oriole Fan From New York)

Will do, not sure which series I'm gonna go to but I'll let you guys know when it gets closer.

It was the summer of 1974. I lived in Norfolk, at the time home of the Met's AAA farm team. Big Bird fan though. Our family went to NYC for vacation; I talked them into stopping in Baltimore so I could see a game. My big bro and I went, sat in some good seats in lowest level on 3rd base side. Don't remember who was pitching, but I remember Don Baylor stealing second. Then stealing third. Then getting hit in by an Earl Williams HR! Birds won 4-1.

Other memorable games: 4th of July weekend 1975- I remember a Tommy Davis GS, fireworks after the game and a great Brooks play at 3rd. Also 1979 ALCS- John Lowenstein's game winning HR.

Currently live in Seattle area. Get to see the Birds when they play the Mariners, couple of times a year.

Earl just died. :(

Archived