Roch: Showalter comments on Bourn's availability

ChaosLex

...which he was a part of. It wouldn't surprise me if he did worse. I think we can agree that the O's shouldn't be using last year's numbers as any kind of standard.
Oh please, 74 PA? :rolleyestf: The idea is to improve the team. If we can even get a .650 OPS out of 2B, that's a good step forward.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think you could put Ryan Flaherty at 2B everyday, and get around a .680-.700 OPS.
I think the issue of 2B has been dicussed to death. In the best possible of worlds I would have signed someone much better than Ryan, and released Roberts. But that is not reality. Reality is Roberts has to be goven a shot at 2B, and earning at least some of the 10M. If he can give us a .650 OPS with a .330 OBP that would be a big help.

I think the issue of 2B has been dicussed to death. In the best possible of worlds I would have signed someone much better than Ryan, and released Roberts. But that is not reality. Reality is Roberts has to be goven a shot at 2B, and earning at least some of the 10M. If he can give us a .650 OPS with a .330 OBP that would be a big help.

How did Roberts get on when it was about Bourn?

What a lot of people will get out of Bucks quote: Bourn is an option!

What you should get out of Bucks quote: the fact that Buck and DD talk about Bourn indicates to me that there is plenty of financial room for a bigger signing. The fact that the Orioles haven't spent more money this offseason is evaluation of talent compared to price, not a much theorized salary cap put there by Angelos.

What a lot of people will get out of Bucks quote: Bourn is an option!

What you should get out of Bucks quote: the fact that Buck and DD talk about Bourn indicates to me that there is plenty of financial room for a bigger signing. The fact that the Orioles haven't spent more money this offseason is evaluation of talent compared to price, not a much theorized salary cap put there by Angelos.

I just think talent evaluation compared to price/value is something a rebuilding team does. Not one coming off 93 wins. Oh well. Maybe even DD isn't confident the Orioles can repeat or come clise to 2012.

I wasn't the one that brought it up.

Oh please, 74 PA? :rolleyestf: The idea is to improve the team. If we can even get a .650 OPS out of 2B, that's a good step forward.

Wrong answer. The idea is to be at least adequate at 2nd base. A .650 OPS with terrible defense is not adequate.

Wrong answer. The idea is to be at least adequate at 2nd base. A .650 OPS with terrible defense is not adequate.
You don't get it do you? If Roberts can perform at that level they are not replacing him with Casilla or Flaherty. If they wanted to optimize the performance at 2B they would have released Roberts and made a move for someone better than either Flaherty or Casilla.

You don't get it do you? If Roberts can perform at that level they are not replacing him with Casilla or Flaherty. If they wanted to optimize the performance at 2B they would have released Roberts and made a move for someone better than either Flaherty or Casilla.

Do you seriously think a .650 OPS with awful defense is acceptable - even while acknowledging that's the best we can expect? If that's the case, then you're correct - I don't get it.

Do you seriously think a .650 OPS with awful defense is acceptable - even while acknowledging that's the best we can expect? If that's the case, then you're correct - I don't get it.
I didn't say that was the best we could expect. I have know idea what Roberts has left. What you don't understand is that it's clear they are committed to getting some return on the money they have sunk in Roberts. If they get those numbers as a minimum that woulod be acceptable to the O's. I told you what I would do if it were up to me, but apparently you can't read.

I didn't say that was the best we could expect. I have know idea what Roberts has left. What you don't understand is that it's clear they are committed to getting some return on the money they have sunk in Roberts. If they get those numbers as a minimum that woulod be acceptable to the O's. I told you what I would do if it were up to me, but apparently you can't read.

That's right. He's going to play. Now what is the unacceptable level of failure for their investment is the question.

That's right. He's going to play. Now what is the unacceptable level of failure for their investment is the question.
If he gets on base at a .330 clip or better; that would make him third best on our team last season. That's not for me, that's what I think would be acceptable to the O's. Still not sure you get that distinction.

Archived