Earl Weaver passed away last night. (With Roy Firestone Remembrance)

Greg

Having played 8 years in the O's organization has afforded me many memories of Earl. While I always played for a club after Earl's management, I knew him quite well because of spring trainings (including the big league camp in '69). The greatest tribute I can give is his fairness in handling players. If he felt he was wrong after abusing a player, the next day he would have a face to face and apoligize. This probably didn't apply to Palmer, but it did to everyone else. Dave Leonhard told me the story about an incidence in '69 when he went 15-3 for Earl. Dave was in trouble late in a game and Earl ordered him to force a walk to a dangerous hitter with first base open and a 3 ball count. The next pitch was hit for a run scoring single. Earl came flying out of the dugout and yanked Dave yelling at him from the dougout to mound. The next day, Earl appoligized to Leonhard because he had taken the time to ask his catcher what happened on the pitch after the game. Dave's catcher was sitting almost a foot outside the plate and the batter hit a fluke. Palmer always knew this connection and Jim being Jim just played Earl.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Having played 8 years in the O's organization has afforded me many memories of Earl. While I always played for a club after Earl's management, I knew him quite well because of spring trainings (including the big league camp in '69). The greatest tribute I can give is his fairness in handling players. If he felt he was wrong after abusing a player, the next day he would have a face to face and apoligize. This probably didn't apply to Palmer, but it did to everyone else. Dave Leonhard told me the story about an incidence in '69 when he went 15-3 for Earl. Dave was in trouble late in a game and Earl ordered him to force a walk to a dangerous hitter with first base open and a 3 ball count. The next pitch was hit for a run scoring single. Earl came flying out of the dugout and yanked Dave yelling at him from the dougout to mound. The next day, Earl appoligized to Leonhard because he had taken the time to ask his catcher what happened on the pitch after the game. Dave's catcher was sitting almost a foot outside the plate and the batter hit a fluke. Palmer always knew this connection and Jim being Jim just played Earl.

Thanks for this post!

Dan Connolly ‏@danconnollysun

The Orioles still plan to have a memorial service in Baltimore to honor the late Earl Weaver. A date/time has not been announced

Dan Connolly ‏@danconnollysun

Told a nice moment at Weaver's service was when singer Terry Cashman performed his "The Earl of Baltimore" song. Roughly 160 people there

Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

2m Dan Connolly ‏@danconnollysun

Other notables at Weaver's service: Bunning, Jane Forbes Clark of the HOF, Naomi Silver of Rochester Red Wings

Expand

3m Dan Connolly ‏@danconnollysun

Repping current O's at Weaver's service: Dan Duquette, Louis Angelos, Doug Duennes, Fred Manfra, Rudy Arias, Greg Bader, Bill Stetka

Expand

4m Dan Connolly ‏@danconnollysun

Other O's at Weaver's service: Rick Dempsey, Dennis Martinez, Don Buford, Bill Swaggerty, Tom Shopay. Hall of Famer Jim Bunning there too

Expand

7m Dan Connolly ‏@danconnollysun

Earl Weaver's Memorial Service was held in Davie, Fla. 2day. Among old Os attending: Brooks, Frank, Palmer, Eddie, Boog, Singleton, McGregor

Perhaps someone can help me with this.

In April of 1979, I was watching the Orioles play the Yankees on WPIX-11. The umpires were on strike, and there was a horrible call that went against the Orioles. While arguing with the umpire, Phil Rizzuto said that the ump told Earl "Don't you hit me with that hat." Earl then turned his hat around, and said to the umpire, "I turned mine around, now you turn yours around." The ump then ejected Weaver immediately.

This was my first memory of Weaver turning his hat around in an argument with the umpires. Does anyone else remember and/or know if this was something that Weaver had already been doing, or was this the first incident of the cap turnaround with Weaver and the umpires ???

Thanks in advance.

weams said:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QUhm8rjEuVo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Terry sang the song

o

THE EARL OF BALTIMORE

Baseball and Baltimore go hand-in-hand,

Uncle Robby was a grand 'ol man.

And Baltimore's the town that gave "The Babe" to the world.

In the skipper's Hall-of-Fame there's Casey of course,

Mack and McCarthy, and John McGraw.

And now there's Earl Weaver, "The Earl of Baltimore."

CHORUS

Baltimore, Baltimore, They called Earl Weaver "The Earl of Baltimore."

Brooks was the heart, Frank was the soul,

McNally, Mike, and Palmer were his Orioles.

Winning with Weaver, winning for Baltimore.

The man in blue, oh he drove 'em wild,

The fight and the fire, that leprechaun smile.

We'll always remember "The Earl of Baltimore."

CHORUS

There was Kenny and Eddie,

Weaver used the whole 25.

CHORUS

Baltimore (15 years of quarry), Baltimore (That's Earl Weaver's story.)

They called Earl Weaver "The Earl of Baltimore."

o

Archived