Earl Weaver passed away last night. (With Roy Firestone Remembrance)

Greg

Tim Kurkjian said that Weaver was one of the 3 greatest managers of all-time.

Also, according to Kurjian, Weaver's father was in the Orioles' clubhouse after a 1986 game. Earl's father said that he didn't like the way that his son had yelled at the umpires, and thought that he had made a fool of himself, and that Weaver never argued with another umpire again.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8859584/hall-famer-earl-weaver-former-manager-baltimore-orioles-dies-82

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am profoundly saddened by this. I am glad he got to make the rounds one last time this past year, and see winning baseball. He is deserving of every accolade.
He was clearly having a lot of fun last summer and I hope he was enjoying the cruise.

The Post quoted this in their article on his passing (he's speaking of not making the majors as a player):

“It broke my heart, but right then I started becoming a good baseball person,” he told Time magazine in 1979. “When I came to recognize and more important accept my own deficiencies, then I could recognize other players’ inabilities and learn to accept them, not for what they can’t do, but for what they can do."

That's Earl boiled down to the essence. His most brilliant work was in the late 70s, when he had 90-win teams where he played guys who other organizations might not have had on their AAA team.

Seriously ESPN a 4 sentence write up, show a little respect for a legend & HOF manager... give him the FRONT PAGE OF ESPN.... oh wait they have bigger news about a fake girlfriend.

:down:

:bangwall:

:angryfire:

Calm down.

I was on the Baltimore Sun website before I got on this board and there was no mention of Weaver on the Orioles page.

I hope that this doesn't mean that Palmer will stop telling stories about Weaver during the games. In a way, that can keep Weaver alive for us. But with the exception of the first few days after his suicide, I can't remember any mention of Flanagan.

Archived