Latest Roch ...

Fairfax Bird

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ramirez, Callaspo, Milledge, Dukes and Hamilton.

All 5 of them were either traded or signed to very friendly deals and we weren't involved with any of it.

These are the names that kind of frustrate me as well, but as long as AM pulls something off better before spring training i won't be concerned.

Between you SG and Mackus i think Bako would start at SS before LH.
Bako is almost certainly a better hitter than Hernandez. Man I freaking hate Luis Hernandez. My hatred of him is honest and pure. Its why I get up in the morning.

I've been told by a source that if a shortstop is not acquired, the Orioles will go with Hernandez at short. They know he won't hit, but they think his glove is special.

Personally, I'm hoping we acquiring someone...

What makes them think this? I've mentioned this before...in the minor leagues, he commits errors at a rate of 24 errors per 162 games played. That doesn't sound special to me.

Well wouldn't you have taken a look at Ramirez? Give me one good reason why we shouldn't be upset MacPhail didn't even invite him for a workout?

I don't know a thing about this situation. Perhaps the Orioes invited him in for a workout and he said no. Perhaps Angelos said we are not doing business with a Cuban. I just don't know. I know that I would like more to be happening with this team, but I also know there are 60 days until pitchers and catchers report.

Play it cool man.:cool: Relax, all good things to those who wait ... as Oriole fans we just have to wait a little longer.:D

Why not, we could have been in the race. All the smart organizations were. He worked out for the Red Sox, Indians, Reds, Cubs, Mets, Yankees, Twins, and A's too. There is absolutely no good reason why we shouldn't have a least given him a look. MacPhail has said he wants to improve international scouting, well he sure missed a golden opportunity here.

I'd like somebody to ask him why with a gaping hole at SS, we didn't even take a look at the guy.

Answered your own questions here dude ;)

I know, sadly I know. :( I thought MacPhail, would change things, but he missed the boat here (no pun intended).

I think the problem is that this guy is a Cuban defector, and for some reason Big Pete won't mess with any of these guys because he and Castro are such good buddies. Funny...they both run their organizations the same way! :D

What makes them think this? I've mentioned this before...in the minor leagues, he commits errors at a rate of 24 errors per 162 games played. That doesn't sound special to me.

According to baseball prospectus, he was 8 runs better than average per 100 games. That's a pretty good rate. A lot of people don't like BP's defensive stats but they're a better measuring stick than errors.

The $1 million question of course is whether the defense is worth the offensive zero.

According to baseball prospectus, he was 8 runs better than average per 100 games. That's a pretty good rate. A lot of people don't like BP's defensive stats but they're a better measuring stick than errors.

The $1 million question of course is whether the defense is worth the offensive zero.

I see errors as a bad thing. And, I see making a lot of them as an even worse thing. I'm not sure how the BP stats work, so I can't really comment on them. But making an error every 6+ games is not a good thing, and it certainly wouldn't make me take a chance on a guy with potentially the worst bat in all of baseball.

I see errors as a bad thing. And, I see making a lot of them as an even worse thing. I'm not sure how the BP stats work, so I can't really comment on them. But making an error every 6+ games is not a good thing, and it certainly wouldn't make me take a chance on a guy with potentially the worst bat in all of baseball.

If you make a couple more errors then an average shortstop, but you have range that allows you to get to many many more balls then an average shortstop, do the errors matter?

It's the Derek Jeter issue: never makes errors, but only because he doesn't get to anything.

Why we didn't take a flyer on Alexei Ramirez, I have no idea. I really hope it isn't due to PA's agreement with Castro. The guy is only 26 and wants to play SS, and was pretty good for Cuba. He signed a 4 year deal for only 4.75 million with incentives. That's a pretty low risk deal and I would have rather seen somebody like him than Luis Hernandez or Brandon Fahey. At least this guy has shown he can hit.

I doubt that Ramirez is ready to be a starting SS in the ML. It has been mentioned several times that his experience level equates to A or A+ ball. Of course that doesn't mean that we shouldn't have made an effort to sign him.

Archived