Latest Roch ...

Fairfax Bird

Why is it that some of the people who are most upset about the possibility of LH starting at SS this year, are the same people who in the past have said that it ABSOLUTELY DOESN'T MATTER what the team does this year, that going 40-122 is essentially the same as going 79-83, that we are building for a year BEYOND THIS YEAR to contend?

(If you want specific names: Sports Guy, Drungo).

I am so upset (if you want to call it upset) because it’s acceptable to go 40-122 (although that would be quite impressive, in a bad way) if you are rebuilding. Luis Hernandez is not in the future of this organization, so we should find someone who is.

And you might respond that we might have to have LH there and it’s ok because we are rebuilding and aren't going to win anyway, etc. But to me, Bynum or other players might have a future with this organization. Maybe it’s smarter to let Moore play there before we get rid of Mora, if we can.

I don't know, but one thing I do know is it seems foolish for the manager of our team to say (many times) that LH would be a good option, probably the option at SS. At least let that be decided in Spring Training. It seems even more foolish when that player that is given the starting job is Luis Hernandez.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why is it that some of the people who are most upset about the possibility of LH starting at SS this year, are the same people who in the past have said that it ABSOLUTELY DOESN'T MATTER what the team does this year, that going 40-122 is essentially the same as going 79-83, that we are building for a year BEYOND THIS YEAR to contend?

As best I can tell, it's because they find his OPS insulting. Evidently, they would prefer that AM get a guy who's glove he doesn't trust as much but who adds .050 to LH's OPS. If you ask about the long-time tradition of Oriole shortstops who were good-glove-no-hit, they say that it's ancient history and the rules have changed. If you ask about Bordick on the '97 AL East champs, then they say that a no-hit SS is a defensible proposition on a contender, but not on a rebuilding team for one year while he looks for a long-term solution. They want a short-term solution, even though LH is here, dirt-cheap, and has the glove they're after. Doesn't make any sense to me, but that's what they say.

Don't use my name like this. It isn't kosher at all.

I never said he was lying. I said he didn't believe it. He doesn't believe it IMHO. I'm sure he and MacPhail both believe they will trade for a better option by ST. If someone asks him now about LH starting, he is going to say "sure he is projected to start". What the heck would he say? We've got nobody slated to start right now because I'd rather have nobody than LH?

LH won't be the starting SS next year IMHO. I gave you several options to place a bet with me on whether LH would start the year as the starting SS. I believe I gave you 2:1 that he wouldn't start 5 of the first 10 regular season games for $100. You declined to take it. I personally don't think you should be criticizing the Orioles for things you don't believe will actually happen. It appears to me you don't think it will happen based on declining a bet that is slanted your way pretty heavily.

BTW, this thread like many of the threads currently on the board is totally pathetic IMHO. I wish some of you guys would learn how to be a bit more even keel. Some of us seem to be in this bipolar mode where we either discuss who to trade for OVER and OVER and OVER again with crazed excitement or we're WHINING about how bad the Orioles suck and how inept mgmt is. One particular poster who will remain nameless has typed more silly, over-the-top posts in the last three days than everybody else on the board combined. It was comical for a bit, but not so much anymore.

It's actually getting painful.. The same trade scenarios over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

It's actually getting painful.. The same trade scenarios over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

It really is painful.

Even (like in this case) when a somewhat fresh topic is started, it turns into a 10 crapfest of things we all say over and over again.

We need something new to talk about...the Orioles need to make a move.

Maybe one of our Ushers will show up on the new season of American Idol or something,...

Don't use my name like this. It isn't kosher at all.

LOL(really, this made me laugh)

I never said he was lying. I said he didn't believe it. He doesn't believe it IMHO. I'm sure he and MacPhail both believe they will trade for a better option by ST. If someone asks him now about LH starting, he is going to say "sure he is projected to start". What the heck would he say? We've got nobody slated to start right now because I'd rather have nobody than LH?

Sorry but you are wrong.

I am so upset (if you want to call it upset) because it’s acceptable to go 40-122 (although that would be quite impressive, in a bad way) if you are rebuilding. Luis Hernandez is not in the future of this organization, so we should find someone who is.

And you might respond that we might have to have LH there and it’s ok because we are rebuilding and aren't going to win anyway, etc. But to me, Bynum or other players might have a future with this organization. Maybe it’s smarter to let Moore play there before we get rid of Mora, if we can.

I don't know, but one thing I do know is it seems foolish for the manager of our team to say (many times) that LH would be a good option, probably the option at SS. At least let that be decided in Spring Training. It seems even more foolish when that player that is given the starting job is Luis Hernandez.

No one has given him the starting job. It is 60 days before pitchers and catchers report ... a little perspective.

As best I can tell, it's because they find his OPS insulting. Evidently, they would prefer that AM get a guy who's glove he doesn't trust as much but who adds .050 to LH's OPS.
More of your usual bs...No one has ever stated to get rid of LH to gain 50 points of OPS...We are looking for a 700 OPS, at least..That is probably 150 points better, not 50.
If you ask about the long-time tradition of Oriole shortstops who were good-glove-no-hit, they say that it's ancient history
It is.
and the rules have changed.
Rules are the same but the game is different.
If you ask about Bordick on the '97 AL East champs, then they say that a no-hit SS is a defensible proposition on a contender,
Actually, everyone has said it is ok to have that because the rest of the team was so good. You would always prefer better production than that.
but not on a rebuilding team for one year while he looks for a long-term solution
No excuse not to get better than LH.
They want a short-term solution
Who only wants a short term solution?

[/quote=vatech1994;1145472

BTW, this thread like many of the threads currently on the board is totally pathetic IMHO. I wish some of you guys would learn how to be a bit more even keel.

The entire reason I started the thread was to point out that Roch was stating that DT said LH would start only if no one else was brought in and that AM hadn't closed shop yet.

60 days before a single pitcher shows up and its over, its over, its over ... there is no hope to have another SS or trade Erik Bedard. All is lost, women and children first ...:rolleyes:

Wrong about what ... that that was what he said or that DT doesn't really believe LH is going to start the season as the SS?

I would love how you could possibly know if it was the second one?

Why are you posting?

And i know DT is comfortable with him starting...He loves his defense and feels it is an asset to the team.

Why are you posting?

And i know DT is comfortable with him starting...He loves his defense and feels it is an asset to the team.

Well, I was going to take off for a while, but the kids are asleep and the wife is sick as hell and the SNF game sucks. I want to know what you are talking about. If you know that DT is comfortable with him starting the season as the starter, how did you come about this information? Were you inside of DTs head?

Well, I was going to take off for a while, but the kids are asleep and the wife is sick as hell and the SNF game sucks. I want to know what you are talking about. If you know that DT is comfortable with him starting the season as the starter, how did you come about this information? Were you inside of DTs head?

Just something I have been told.

Man, the SNF game is amazing...Portis just threw a TD pass.

Skins are playing AWESOME!

What is wrong with you right now? You've just been acting obnoxious the last couple of days. Is something wrong
FB said he wasn;t going to post until after New Years...I was merely asking him why he is now...Christ, are you this sensitive in real life?
Regarding your second sentence. This isn't the question. I believe that DT said these things. I believe that DT loves LH's defense. I would too if all I'd seen from him was what we saw last summer. I just don't believe that DT actually thinks he won't have a better option come ST. I think he believes he will have a better option AND he thinks LH is a great defensive SS who he would be willing to start if he had to do it. You can't possibly KNOW that I'm wrong about that unless you're in his head or have a source who knows him really well.
There is no way of knowing that for sure...I can tell you though that if nothing changes, DT will be very happy with him as the starter...You can choose to believe that or not, I don't care but it is a fact.

Archived