Jair Jurrjens agrees to deal with Orioles

Greg

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

YES...YES....YES!

A year ago, ATL wanted us to trade Jones for Jurrjens and Prado and a young pitcher.

Now we have a former AS pitcher on our hands. The NL starting pitcher in 2011. That's impressive.

Peterson...work your magic on this 26 year old, who hasn't hit his prime yet.

This is great as long as Jurrjens has some options left. Looks like Saunders is a no go.

Steve Melewski ‏@masnSteve

Jurrjens is two years from free agency and sounds like worth taking a shot at, just 26. O's had interest in him before. More P depth

Low risk, high reward. I like it. And I was literally just talking to my Pirates fan brother about how I thought the Pirates should have gambled on Jurrgens insteads of blowing $13 million on Liriano, then logged onto MLBTradeRumors to find this.

An aside: I presume he'll be under our control in 2014 too, since he only has 4 years of service. Anyone know for sure how that works?

Jair Jurrjens meet Rick Peterson. Rick Peterson meet Jair Jurrjens. You're going to be working together a lot this year.

Does he have minor league options? He has to, right?

I would think so.. he was in minors most of if not all of last season

"I'll take it!" was my first reaction as well. His numbers in 2011 were really good.

I am hoping that this doesn't mean we're done pursuing Saunders. If we can add him as well, we'll have an amazing amount of starting pitching depth heading into the spring.

- Hammel

- Gonzalez

- Tillman

- Chen

- Jurrjens

- Arrieta

- Britton

- S. Johnson

- Saunders???

And, that doesn't even include the lefties who are probably headed to the bullpen but definitely have starter potential (Matusz, Wada, McFarland).

Archived