Jair Jurrjens agrees to deal with Orioles

Greg

Sorry, I can't get excited about this. I understand it's a low-risk deal, but you're talking about a guy with poor peripherals, who got demoted, and was DFA'd by the Braves with no interest in bringing him back. You don't just do that for 26-year old starting pitchers if there aren't some underlying issues here.

The issues weren't underlying. He was an awful pitcher last year.

He had a 3.40 career ERA going into 2012 though, and we have an industry-leader in mechanics. The reported injury issues and velocity drop may very well be a mechanics issue. DD clearly thinks we can fix him. I can't imagine he's just gonna pencil him into the starting rotation like some think. I'd still like Saunders.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The issues weren't underlying. He was an awful pitcher last year.

He had a 3.40 career ERA going into 2012 though, and we have an industry-leader in mechanics. The reported injury issues and velocity drop may very well be a mechanics issue. DD clearly thinks we can fix him. I can't imagine he's just gonna pencil him into the starting rotation like some think. I'd still like Saunders.

I'd feel much better about it if it was a minor-league deal that guaranteed the money if he made the team out of ST. His velocity has been declining for several years (K numbers were also horrendous last year), so it would be odd if it was strictly a mechanical issue on a Braves team that has a history of working well with pitchers. It's just bizarre that the Braves would just let him go like that.

Believe me, I hope Jurrjens can revert back to an All-Star. I just don't buy it.

In case you were wondering, it's a one year deal. Just because he hasn't maxed out his service time. I know that was a question for some users. Heyman said its a one year deal to the guy that had the AL stats for Jurrjens:

That doesn't mean he can become a free agent after this season. If the Orioles offer him arbitration, he is under team control for 2014.

I'd feel much better about it if it was a minor-league deal that guaranteed the money if he made the team out of ST.

Sure, but there would be a dozen other teams offering him a minor league deal. If he is the highest paid member of the Norfolk Tides, how does that hurt you? He is still worth the risk.

Also, the Braves had to let him go. You can't have a guy go from making $5.5M in arbitration to $1.5M, it just doesn't happen.

Isn't that Rickli guy the same guy who claimed to be best buds with Adam Jones?

Anyway, this is a good move. This is a franchise that once gave Jay Payton a 2 year/10 million dollar deal. $1.5 is a drop in the bucket and it doesn't have to guarantee a rotation spot or anything.

Unfortunately, this is shaping up to be the biggest move of the offseason...

I'm sure he had plenty of suitors for that kind of deal. The Orioles were probably the only ones who decided to commit some money to the project of fixing him.
Sure, but there would be a dozen other teams offering him a minor league deal. If he is the highest paid member of the Norfolk Tides, how does that hurt you? He is still worth the risk.

Also, the Braves had to let him go. You can't have a guy go from making $5.5M in arbitration to $1.5M, it just doesn't happen.

That's true, but I just don't like the logjam of questionable starters at the end of the rotation. I'm going to reiterate that I don't think Saunders is a savior, but I was hoping the Orioles would have signed a proven guy for one of the spots going forward.

Isn't that Rickli guy the same guy who claimed to be best buds with Adam Jones?

Anyway, this is a good move. This is a franchise that once gave Jay Payton a 2 year/10 million dollar deal. $1.5 is a drop in the bucket and it doesn't have to guarantee a rotation spot or anything.

Unfortunately, this is shaping up to be the biggest move of the offseason...

Does he Skype with him?

Archived