Who's your 4th bench guy?

El Gordo

My guess would have to be Valencia because he can hit lefties and he has some positional flexibility. Robinson is another guy I could see starting out the gate due to no options and speed and defense are valuable commodities on the bench.

I disagree about Buck keeping Roberts on a short leash though. Buck is stubborn about track records. It kept Hardy in the 2 hole and Vlad at cleanup. I think we see Roberts at the leadoff spot regardless of how he is performing as long as he is healthy. I was listening to the coverage of fanfest on WBAL and Buck was on talking about Roberts. Keith Mills asked where will Roberts hit? Buck did his classic reply "where do you think Roberts should hit?" Mills said 9th and Buck went on to talk about not selling Roberts short etc, etc. Everybody buckle up because Roberts at the top of the order is going to drive us all absolutely insane.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Buck is going to begin the season with a DH platoon involving Betemit and Remiold looks looks good in the spring, I think the 4th bench play almost has to be a RHB that will serve as Betemit's platoon partner. If Reimold is healthy and productive, it seems like a waste to constrict him to to the right-handed side of a DH platoon where he wouldn't receive a lot of at bats. Plus McLouth's platoon splits are fairly pronounced so you would ideally like to sit McLouth and Betemit against some left-handed starters, which means Reimold would start in LF those games.

In that scenario, Danny Valencia and Connor Jackson would appear to have a leg up on the rest. Casilla has limited experience at 3B (10 games in the Majors and even fewer in the minors) and Betemit should not be in the field other than in an emergency situation, so Buck might prefer to have Valencia has a backup 3B option as well. If I had to pick today, he would be my bet.

Assuming Roberts has a healthy ST, and Betemit is DH against RHP, then you have a bench of: Casilla UTIF, Teagarden BuC, Reimold RH DH/LF, and ??? Whose this guy and why? Pearce, Flaherty, Valencia, Ishikawa, Jackson, Robinson, other? Who has options and who doesn't? My pick would be Robinson for his speed and defense.

Assuming Reimold, Castilla and Teagarden (a lofty assumption but I'll play along), let's break down the needs of the bench versus who fulfills them out of these 3:

Power vs LHP: Reimold

Power vs RHP: none (Betemit is a psuedo bench player)

Speed: Casilla

Middle infield defense: Casilla

Corner infield defense: ? Betemit probably

Center field backup: none

Catcher backup: Teagarden

This means the biggest holes are power vs RHP, corner infield D and Centerfield backup. Sadly, no one player can fulfill all these well.

For power vs RHP, Ishikawa is the only one that comes close and it's not really that good.

For Corner infield D, the best options are Valencia (for 3B) and Ishikawa (for 1B).

For Centerfield backup, Robinson and Avery are the only real options and I'd give the edge to Robinson.

Ranking the needs:

Backup Centerfielder isn't really necessary to have on the 25 man since Markakis and McLouth could play CF in a pinch. It wouldn't be ideal but as someone in another thread said, "McLouth is the backup for a day, Avery is the backup if Jones goes on the DL". They can live with no backup CF on the bench.

To judge Power vs RHP, you have to look at the rest of the lineup. Apparently, we're told that Betemit is a savant against RHP so as long as he's healthy we already have a pseudo bench player with that unique skill. We also have a lineup of Davis, Wieters, Markakis and McLouth so a bench bat would be nice, it isn't a much needed tool.

As for Corner Infield D, Manny and Davis are the starters with only Betemit as their backups on the depth chart. This is scary. I believe this is the biggest need so it comes down Valencia or Ishikawa. The positive about Valencia is that he can play both positions but he's best suited at 3B which is defensively the strongest (Manny) of the corners. Therefore:

My vote would be for Ishikawa to be the 4th bench guy in this scenario.

Assuming Reimold, Castilla and Teagarden (a lofty assumption but I'll play along), let's break down the needs of the bench versus who fulfills them out of these 3:

This means the biggest holes are power vs RHP, corner infield D and Centerfield backup. Sadly, no one player can fulfill all these well.

For power vs RHP, Ishikawa is the only one that comes close and it's not really that good.

For Corner infield D, the best options are Valencia (for 3B) and Ishikawa (for 1B).

For Centerfield backup, Robinson and Avery are the only real options and I'd give the edge to Robinson.

Ranking the needs:

Backup Centerfielder isn't really necessary to have on the 25 man since Markakis and McLouth could play CF in a pinch. It wouldn't be ideal but as someone in another thread said, "McLouth is the backup for a day, Avery is the backup if Jones goes on the DL". They can live with no backup CF on the bench.

To judge Power vs RHP, you have to look at the rest of the lineup. Apparently, we're told that Betemit is a savant against RHP so as long as he's healthy we already have a pseudo bench player with that unique skill. We also have a lineup of Davis, Wieters, Markakis and McLouth so a bench bat would be nice, it isn't a much needed tool.

As for Corner Infield D, Manny and Davis are the starters with only Betemit as their backups on the depth chart. This is scary. I believe this is the biggest need so it comes down Valencia or Ishikawa. The positive about Valencia is that he can play both positions but he's best suited at 3B which is defensively the strongest (Manny) of the corners. Therefore:

As someone who is also a bit of a Pirates' fan, I can say that McLouth has played the majority of his career in CF. In fact, it wasn't until last season with the O's that he was ever really a corner OF. If Reimold has a strong spring and wins the LF job, I'd be comfortable with McLouth as the fourth OF who can fill in at any of the three spots to give the starters a day off.

That said, I'd rather the lineup feature McLouth and Betemit against a right-handed starter and Reimold and Valencia against a lefty.

Ranking the needs:

McLouth is the backup Center fielder. As is Robinson if he makes the club. The Orioles required about six innings of center field back up in 2012.

I actually like Robinson a good deal. I think he's a suitable backup OF. But with McLouth, Jones, Reimold, and Markakis on the roster, I just don't see what need we have for him. If we were to DFA him, would any team pick him up at the end of spring training and put him on their ML roster? I don't think so. Let him roam CF in Norfolk, with Avery and Hoes at the corners.

Also, I'm a bit confused as to why it seems like a common opinion that Nate McLouth will be starting over Nolan Reimold in LF. I don't think that's the case at all. You can talk about Reimold's injuries, but he can hit. He's the only non-AJ righty on the team with a suitable OBP. I fully expect him to be starting at the top of the order come April. Probably leading off. I view McLouth as a much better version of Endy Chavez.

The bench, in my opinion, will be

McLouth

Teagarden

Valencia

Casilla

I would think the final bench spot would have to go to a right-handed hitter. Otherwise the O's would be stuck with either McLouth or Betemit in the lineup anytime there's a left-handed starter, since Reimold can only fill one of those spots.

My guess would be Steve Pearce.

I would think the final bench spot would have to go to a right-handed hitter. Otherwise the O's would be stuck with either McLouth or Betemit in the lineup anytime there's a left-handed starter, since Reimold can only fill one of those spots.

Robinson is a SH and Valencia RH bat. Valencia has option and Pearce would bump someone from the 40 man. Depending on how well he hits LHP it could be Robinson.

I'm a big fan of the Trayvon Robinson pickup. He's still young, he's got speed, defense, and hit 28 HR's between AAA and MLB in 2011. I'd love to see him make the club as the 25th guy, but of course, the only way he will do it is by having a big ST.

...and an injury to one of the 4 OF's. I loved the Robinson pickup too and he jumps ahead of Avery on my personal depth chart, but I'm afraid he really doesn't have a place on the 25 man roster even if he has a monster spring. Either McLouth or Reimold would have to have some sort of injury setback for that to happen. I don't even think poor performances from either of them in spring would trigger a demotion.

My predictions:

Roberts will have some setbacks in Spring Training, but will somehow land the starting job. Betemit will most likely be the DH, but only against right handers.

It's safe to assume if Teagarden is healthy, that the backup job is his. So that's one spot.

Reimold, if healthy, will be mostly there for DH duties or LF in a pinch. I don't like his defense, but he's a fine backup in case McLouth is ineffective. That's two.

Robinson will get the backup OF/PR spot. That's three.

The last, I presume, is going to be Casilla. He can play 2B and SS.

Ishikawa, Flaherty, and Valencia will all be in the minors to start the season if Reimold and Roberts are healthy and Nate McLouth looks like he has some sort of clue at the plate. Jackson will

In the event that Roberts is hurt, you'll see Casilla take the starting 2B spot, and then Flaherty will get the backup IF position.

If Reimold gets hurt, Valencia is called up to platoon with Betemit at DH....but only if Valencia has a clue. If he doesn't, you'll see Conor Jackson or Pierce. Whichever is effective.

If McLouth is ineffective, Reimold slots in LF. Valencia is called up to platoon with Betemit at DH....but only if Valencia has a clue. If he doesn't, you'll see Conor Jackson or Pierce. Whichever is effective.

Ishikawa is an intriguing signing. I actually really like him. He's insurance if Davis is an absolute butcher at 1B. Probably same for Conor Jackson.

Anyways, that's what I think. Best case scenario is that Roberts is effective and healthy and Reimold is as well. That means Casilla, Teagarden, Reimold, and Robinson are our bench options for 2013. Not bad.

FWIW, Ishikawa could also be a backup IF/DH in the event that the Orioles find Betemit expendable. Ishikawa's splits (career wise) dictate the following:

Vs. RHP: 266/333/416 - 749

Vs. LHP: 247/284/326 - 610 (he was used sparingly in that role, only 98 plate appearances).

There's a lot of depth and a lot of competition. That's a good thing.

That's actually a good point. We have a lot of LH options. Career wise McLouth is pretty lousy against lefties (649 OPS versus 793 OPS). 2012 was similar as well (581 OPS vs. 731 OPS).

Pearce is an intriguing RH bat, splits:

Vs. RHP: 214/287/310 - 597 OPS

Vs. LHP: 266/343/464 - 807 OPS

It's down to either Robinson or Pearce. It really depends on how Robinson does in ST.

If we go the platoon route at DH and LF, it makes a lot of sense to go with the Pearce/McLouth, Betemit/Reimold route since Valencia has options and could just end up stinking it up in ST.

The problem I see with Pearce is if we have him up for OD we have to bump someone from the 40 man. right now the only expendable I see is exposito and he'll have to go to make room for Jurrjens. If we keep Pearce in the minors, then when we bring him up most likely it will be for someone on the DL or DFA.

The problem I see with Pearce is if we have him up for OD we have to bump someone from the 40 man. right now the only expendable I see is exposito and he'll have to go to make room for Jurrjens. If we keep Pearce in the minors, then when we bring him up most likely it will be for someone on the DL or DFA.

You are forgetting about the trade that happens in 13 Days. ;)

Archived