Who's your 4th bench guy?

El Gordo

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Assuming Roberts is the starting second baseman, I think it would probably be Valencia, who gives the team a right-handed bat off the bench. I think if Roberts is healthy and Casilla is healthy Flaherty almost certainly starts the year in AAA. With Reimold, McLouth, Jones, and Markakis, I don't think Robinson would make the cut.

I don't see any trades coming. After Exposito who do you bump from the 40 man next? I find that a tough choice, which I suppose is a good sign.
To answer my own question I would say after Exposito, assuming Roberts is healthy, one of either Valencia/Navarro, followed by Robinson. Wada could go on the 60 day DL.

To answer my own question I would say after Exposito, assuming Roberts is healthy, one of either Valencia/Navarro, followed by Robinson. Wada could go on the 60 day DL.

I'd prefer not to see Valencia cut just yet. I'm sure we acquired him for his ability to mash LHP. I'd like to at least give him a chance to prove management right.

Oh. Yeah, I just don't see that even if he has a good spring. But sure. I cheated.

I cheated too. Because Roberts is not going to be able play 2nd base. He has been off from playing. To me

that has got to take a toll on his ability to play a good 2nd. I just don't see even ST getting him back to

where he needs to be. Sorry I didn't answer in the way the opening poster wanted.

I cheated too. Because Roberts is not going to be able play 2nd base. He has been off from playing. To me

that has got to take a toll on his ability to play a good 2nd. I just don't see even ST getting him back to

where he needs to be. Sorry I didn't answer in the way the opening poster wanted.

I wouldn't expect some one who can see into the future with such certainty as you, to do so. I was wondering what mere mortals thought.

Robinson may very well be the 4th bench guy. However, you believe that McLouth will be pretty much an everyday LF, Jones will play virtually every game in CF, and Markakis will play virtually every game in RF. Just who do you see Robinson being a defensive replacement for?
Injury insurance, Reimold, and pinch running mostly. Could be Valencia if he hits in ST. Doubt it's any of the others.

Anyone else think Robinsons ability to be a very effective pinch runner on a team that definitely needs to pinch run a lot with such a lack of speed nearly all over the field, will give him a leg up in any perceived "tie" for the last bench spot?

Hardy is a pretty poor base stealer compared to most shortstops, I doubt machado will steal much, wieters and Davis aren' stealing many bases, reimold and markakis can steal a base but probably won't get more than a couple all season long, Casilla can steal bases very well but if Roberts is banged up or can't get on the field, he won't be pinch running as he will be starting for Reynolds.

McClouth and jones are our two best base stealing options and McClouth isn't getting any faster as he gets older and jones isn't a base stealing expert.

With so few base stealing/running options, especially if we need someone to make things happen at the end of a close game, Robinson would be by far the most value option of any of the people being discussed when it come to pinch running and attempting to manufacture a run.

Now is that alone enough to get him the last spot? No. But as I said, it might just give him a leg up.

I think that Valencia has to be the front runner for this spot at this point in time. He has enough pop to be the right handed DH and he'll be the primary backup at third. I'm sure that he'll get some work in ST at first base. I think that he has a very good shot to make the team if he hits in ST and can be an adequate back up at first base.

I think that Valencia has to be the front runner for this spot at this point in time. He has enough pop to be the right handed DH and he'll be the primary backup at third. I'm sure that he'll get some work in ST at first base. I think that he has a very good shot to make the team if he hits in ST and can be an adequate back up at first base.
I wouldn't expect some one who can see into the future with such certainty as you, to do so. I was wondering what mere mortals thought.[/quote

Sorry didn't put IMO

If you assume Roberts is healthy, I think it has to come down to Valencia vs. Robinson, IMO.

I would say take them both and just go with a 6-man bullpen to start, but the bullpen already has its own numbers crunch going on.

I would think the edge would go to Valencia, because I'm not sure that Casilla can play 3B?

One point that was made earlier (by gordo, I think) is that at least the 40-man is improved over the past few years. I remember there used to 4-5 guys on there at a time that you could drop without blinking.

Archived