Orioles sign OF Chris Dickerson to minor league deal

Crazysilver03

I hate to be that guy, but I think Chris Dickerson is a better 4th OF than Nate McLouth.
599 PA at age 30?There's areason for that. And is that any kind of sample size? In his first 2500 PA McLouth put up a .796 OPS. Dickerson is a good depth pick up but I'll put my money on McLouth.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is the Mets that are filing a grievance with the MLB since they should have the 10th pick in the draft and got pushed to pick 11 due to another team not signing their first rounder last year. If they hold their original top 10 pick Bourne would not cost the first rounder. Even with this situation, they will probably lose and have to forfeit the pick.

Exactly... they feel that the "spirit of the rule" was to allow a bottom-10 team to make the signing without giving up the pick. The Mets were a bottom 10 team, but the Pirates getting a comp pick for not signing last year's first rounder, pushed the Mets pick to #11, so under the letter of the rule they have to forfeit the pick because it is not a "top 10 pick".

599 PA at age 30?There's areason for that. And is that any kind of sample size? In his first 2500 PA McLouth put up a .796 OPS. Dickerson is a good depth pick up but I'll put my money on McLouth.

What's the reason? I actually have no idea. He has a great defensive reputation, can run a bit, and hits as well as a 4th OF should hit. Why does Dewayne Wise keep getting ML deals while Chris Dickerson can't get one?

I hate to be that guy, but I think Chris Dickerson is a better 4th OF than Nate McLouth.

I see where you are coming from but I think they are equal. This is a very smart signing by Duquette and I hope that it gives McLouth the push he needs. A mediocre McLouth and a mediocre Dickerson are no different. A McLouth at his best and Dickerson at his best - there is a vast difference.

So you would rather have less options when injuries inevitably hit us?

Dickerson plays solid defense, has good speed and a little bit of power, and he walks a lot- seems like a very good depth move to me. I wanted a little more OF depth, and DD came through. I dig it.

We get it ;)

Disagreeing with one of my posts? Not suprising. You're quickly becoming my real life Skip Bayless. No more responses from me to your comments. It ends here.

There was nothing in your post to disagree with- I could no more disagree with your post than I could "disagree" with a child throwing a temper tantrum on Christmas morning because they didn't get the Action Frank doll that they wanted so badly. There was nothing really there to disagree with- you were just complaining for the sake of complaining.

If you don't want attention, don't post pictures that take up the entire screen of my phone without adding anything of substance to the discussion.

Just as long as you agree that Nate McLouth is a much, MUCH better option to start in LF than Chris Dickerson.

No. I think they're similar players. McLouth is a slightly better hitter. Dickerson is a slightly better fielder. If McLouth is better in LF than Dickerson, it isn't by a wide margin.

The whole point of free agent compensation is to disincentivize the signing of free agents. To drive the cost up.

Exactly. Which will makes some future free agent wanna bes think more about taking qualifying offers and that would over time likely reduce contract costs overall.

I see no reason to get into a McLouth vs. Dickerson argument right now. If McLouth plays like he did in 2007-09 or with Baltimore in August/September 2012, then he'll be an above average LF for us. If he falls back, we have numerous options to take away his playing time, including Chris Dickerson. When you look at Duquette's overall plan to cover the OF in 2013, he's done a very nice job. We don't need to know today exactly which players will emerge and have the best seasons, and who will get hurt, and who will disappoint. I'd say the chances are very good that we will see a large improvement from the .235/.298/.396 we got from LF last year, and that we'll be well-covered if Jones or Markakis gets hurt, as well. I applaud what Duquette has done with the OF.

Archived