TT: The Orioles projected payroll is 4th in the AL East

Tony-OH

DD will up payroll when there's an opportunity. There wasn't any opportunity this offseason to do so WISELY.

I think there's some truth here. But the caveat is that Angelos' definition of wisely reads something like: A player at or very near peak age, with little competition so he comes with a lower-than-average salary, and is someone with character/background/health that's very low risk.

So once every ten or 15 years you get Miguel Tejada.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think this year proves that Angelos was not simply doing the smart and logical thing and waiting until a free agent signing would have maximum impact. He just won't spend money on higher-dollar free agents. No, the free agent class wasn't the best or full of lots of players that immediately filled holes. But it seemed that the O's were never particularly interested in anyone at the going rates.

We have to assume that the Orioles are not interested in spending a lot on free agents no matter the on-field situation.

Dead on.

I think this year proves that Angelos was not simply doing the smart and logical thing and waiting until a free agent signing would have maximum impact. He just won't spend money on higher-dollar free agents. No, the free agent class wasn't the best or full of lots of players that immediately filled holes. But it seemed that the O's were never particularly interested in anyone at the going rates.

We have to assume that the Orioles are not interested in spending a lot on free agents no matter the on-field situation.

Agreed. Actions speak louder than words. Quite simply, the Orioles actions since signing Tejada have said they are not willing to pay the going rate for premium free agents, regardless of the fact that other teams are willing. Say what you want about the price tag, but Hamilton was exactly what this organization needed for the offense. He was a game changer for the offense. It was obvious the Orioles had no intention of signing him because they knew what is price tag would be and they are not willing to spend that kind of money. some people have bought into this line of thinking that the Orioles have to be this frugal organization, I just don't buy it at all. The Orioles told us MASN was a game changer for them, it has not been. Actions speak louder than words.

Saying that, I think Duquette has done a good job within his payroll limitations and we have a great manager in buck. Maybe we can surprise for a second year in row, or maybe, the Orioles frugal ways will catch up once again in 2013. I hope it's the former.

Its obviously ALL speculation whatever stance you take, but I believe that if Pujols and Fielder had been free agents THIS offseason instead of last, that the Orioles would have been in on the negotiations.

Agreed. Actions speak louder than words. Quite simply, the Orioles actions since signing Tejada have said they are not willing to pay the going rate for premium free agents, regardless of the fact that other teams are willing. Say what you want about the price tag, but Hamilton was exactly what this organization needed for the offense. He was a game changer for the offense. It was obvious the Orioles had no intention of signing him because they knew what is price tag would be and they are not willing to spend that kind of money. some people have bought into this line of thinking that the Orioles have to be this frugal organization, I just don't buy it at all. The Orioles told us MASN was a game changer for them, it has not been. Actions speak louder than words.

Saying that, I think Duquette has done a good job within his payroll limitations and we have a great manager in buck. Maybe we can surprise for a second year in row, or maybe, the Orioles frugal ways will catch up once again in 2013. I hope it's the former.

You may very well be correct. Again, there is no way to prove speculation. But my feeling is that Hamilton's drug history is what kept the Orioles (and pretty much every other team except the Rangers and Angels) away from going after Hamilton. Josh could prove the Angels genius, as that lineup should be absolutely stacked, or he could be yet another albatross signing that MOST of these "premiere" free agent signings end up being.

I think there's some truth here. But the caveat is that Angelos' definition of wisely reads something like: A player at or very near peak age, with little competition so he comes with a lower-than-average salary, and is someone with character/background/health that's very low risk.

So once every ten or 15 years you get Miguel Tejada.

Quite simply, Angelos is adverse to risk. Everything he does is calculated and he does not see the value in spending money to make money. It's the reason why we didn't spend internationally for so long and why we are never involved with premium free agents. Coming off the year we just had, the signing of Hamilton would have told the baseball world that not only are the Orioles serious contenders, we're serious about being a contender every year now. Instead, we get 10-15 minor league signings with invites to spring training. That doesn't send much of signal other than we're hoping our guys continue to develop because if they don't, we're sunk once again.

Again, I applaud Duquette for scouring everywhere in order to find the next McLouth or Gonzalez, but I wish the Orioles would have acquired a true MOO for the lineup.

You may very well be correct. Again, there is no way to prove speculation. But my feeling is that Hamilton's drug history is what kept the Orioles (and pretty much every other team except the Rangers and Angels) away from going after Hamilton. Josh could prove the Angels genius, as that lineup should be absolutely stacked, or he could be yet another albatross signing that MOST of these "premiere" free agent signings end up being.

Perhaps, but every high priced player carries some kind of inherent risk. The Orioles are by nature a risk adverse team and as long as they remain that way, you will not see them sign an impact high priced free agent while Angelos owns the team.

Perhaps, but every high priced player carries some kind of inherent risk. The Orioles are by nature a risk adverse team and as long as they remain that way, you will not see them sign an impact high priced free agent while Angelos owns the team.

I hear ya. And I was right there every year on the "why didn't we sign Tex" and "why didn't we sign (player x)" bandwagon. EVERY year! But looking back over the last ten years, how many of those guys that the Hangout discussed at length for 6 months every offseason have been worth anywhere near the money they received? And better yet, how many of those high priced "premiere" free agents were holding a World Series trophy at the end of the season?

To my knowledge, without looking into it too much, The Giants (winners of 2 of the last 3 WS) have not signed a single "premiere" free agent....and this playing in the Dodgers division.

Its obviously ALL speculation whatever stance you take, but I believe that if Pujols and Fielder had been free agents THIS offseason instead of last, that the Orioles would have been in on the negotiations.

I am sure we would have but as always... we would just lowball them anyway just to appear that they are trying to sign a premium FA.

This is the Orioles in the offseason: :deadhorse:

DD also stated the best players will be coming from our farm system.

I just don't see any objective evidence that this is the case. As far as we know the Orioles have never made a truly competitive offer to a player who ended up with a $100M+ contract. And teams have been giving out $100M contracts for more than a decade.

I think the O's would have been in on the Pujols or Fielder negotiations in the same way they were in on Teixeira: a semi-reasonable offer that was really never going to get the contract signed except in very unusual, team-friendly circumstances.

I would love to see the OriolesHangout inquire about "performance" bonuses built into Duquette's contract (and Andy MacPhail before him) for keeping payroll below certain thresholds. Obviously the Baltimore Sun would never report on a topic like that.

I doubt there are any such bonuses. I think Angelos tells his GMs in fairly stark terms the kind of risk and payroll he's willing to take on, and they know that their job depends on interpreting that correctly.

Archived