Mariners still alive in Bedard hunt

JTrea81

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree. I like Morrow but Tillman can be that high ceiling pitcher we'd need back for Bedard. I think the Reds havent made a decent offer yet. I think AM is keeping them in it to see if it will push Seattle to throw up their offer.
If we could get Truinfel back in the deal along with Jones and Clement we have to do it IMO.

I have a question...does anyone have any indication of how Clement pans out as a catcher? Is there a possibility that he may be a first baseman?

Tough to say...I think with all top catching prospects, their values lies as a catcher.

That's why I think we should flip him.

He looks to be a 820ish OPS type guy...Pretty average for a first baseman but great for a catcher.

Bigbird said this a week or 2 ago.

Jones, Clement, Sherrill and a 4th player...The 4th player is/was the hangup.

Well a lot of people have been saying we don't know the offer(s) that MacPhail is trying to sweeten/doesn't like. This is just a confirmation that our insiders have a pretty good idea of who is being offered. So the comments of MacPhail being too greedy would be justified if he wants Morrow in a deal as well because both Clement and Jones are being offered.

Tough to say...I think with all top catching prospects, their values lies as a catcher.

That's why I think we should flip him.

He looks to be a 820ish OPS type guy...Pretty average for a first baseman but great for a catcher.

I don't know how Clement projects as a catcher, but I agree with most of the rest of your post.

I think playing Clement for a year at catcher/DH here (splitting time with Ramon) would probably be better than flipping him immediately though.

If Wieters takes a bit longer to get here, then maybe you even keep Clement to start 2009 and break Wieters in a bit later. And then trade whichever you feel would be better to trade.

I really like Morrow, moreso than most on here, but a trade of Jones + Clement + a couple other guys would be a terrific return for Bedard, IMO.

I don't know how Clement projects as a catcher, but I agree with most of the rest of your post.

I think playing Clement for a year at catcher/DH here (splitting time with Ramon) would probably be better than flipping him immediately though.

If Wieters takes a bit longer to get here, then maybe you even keep Clement to start 2009 and break Wieters in a bit later. And then trade whichever you feel would be better to trade.

I really like Morrow, moreso than most on here, but a trade of Jones + Clement + a couple other guys would be a terrific return for Bedard, IMO.

Also, I'm wondering if a move away from catching may improve his offense. That .820 OPS may move up a bit without the wear and tear of catching every day.

Well a lot of people have been saying we don't know the offer(s) that MacPhail is trying to sweeten/doesn't like. This is just a confirmation that our insiders have a pretty good idea of who is being offered. So the comments of MacPhail being too greedy would be justified if he wants Morrow in a deal as well because both Clement and Jones are being offered.

Ignore those people...Bigbird is consistently way ahead of the media.

People continue to ignore that because everything he says doesn't always happen but that doesn't mean the info given wasn't accurate at the time.

I am hoping Tillman is the 4th guy....BP rates him as a 4 star prospect..High ceiling guy who is very young and he wouldn't have to be on our 40 man roster...Bigbird speculated that the 4th player would likely be someone you don't have to put on the 40 man yet, so Tillman makes a lot of sense in many ways.

Also, I'm wondering if a move away from catching may improve his offense. That .820 OPS may move up a bit without the wear and tear of catching every day.
Certainly possible, although I doubt it'll be a huge improvement. And a move to DH if thats where he gets at bats is often a rough adjustment, especially for a young player.

Coming into the season, BP projected him out to be an average at best catcher(not sure what strides he made this year though)...If other teams share this same thought, he could be harder to flip him elsewhere.

But I would also think if he can just give you average defense behind the plate, that he would be very valuable because of the offense he gives you.

Certainly possible, although I doubt it'll be a huge improvement. And a move to DH if thats where he gets at bats is often a rough adjustment, especially for a young player.

There's no way I'd want to make him a DH. Truthfully, if we can acquire him, I'd like to see us move Hernandez, and let the kid catch for us.

Even though Wieters is a great prospect, there are no guarantees, and it wouldn't hurt for us to have two very good young catchers! :D

Coming into the season, BP projected him out to be an average at best catcher...If other teams share this same thought, he could be harder to flip him elsewhere.

But I would also think if he can just give you average defense behind the plate, that he would be very valuable because of the offense he gives you.

Oh I didn't mean "I don't know if he projects as a catcher defensively", I just meant that I've never seen him play and haven't heard many reports either way regarding his defense. If we got him and could some way unload Hernandez, I'd have no problems going with him as the starting catcher for next season and finding out.

Oh I didn't mean "I don't know if he projects as a catcher defensively", I just meant that I've never seen him play and haven't heard many reports either way regarding his defense. If we got him and could some way unload Hernandez, I'd have no problems going with him as the starting catcher for next season and finding out.

I've posted this before, but here's a Mariners beat writer's scouting report of him:

Clement lacks athleticism which may catch up with him in his endeavor to prove he can stick behind the plate. He has adequate strength and hands and should eventually develop solid throwing technique but the questions that remain include his ability to move laterally to block pitches.

http://prospectinsider.com/?p=3

Archived