Mariners still alive in Bedard hunt

JTrea81

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Mariners offer the best player(Jones) and the best depth in a package IMO.

The Reds offer the best pitcher.

The real key to the Mariners package is can Clement be flipped, say for Brignac?

If he can, then the scale really tips in their favor.

If he can't, that makes things a lot closer.

One thing I do not understand from earlier in the thread is the idea to drop Morrow to a Tillman. That's a huge drop. If I was going to accept that, I would ask for a fifth prospect and not stop at four.

I like what I hear on Chen. I brought his name up a long time ago as to why Seattle might not want to trade for a replacement to Lopez.

A deal around Jones, Clement, Tillman, Chen and Butler would be very acceptable to me for EB.

I understand the desire to flip Clement, but he provides a lot of value as a backup catcher, part-time 1B/DH who gets 400+ at bats with an 800+ OPS, IMO.

The midwest team????

Just a thought, we've all kinda counted out St Louis, but how about a deal of Rasmus, Reyes, + a couple others. It was mentioned earlier in the off season they would be willing to deal Rasmus. Not a lot in their system, but there has been talk of trading Rolen. Perhaps they could trade Rolen for a few decent prospects and use one of those to finish out the deal for Bedard. Maybe Rolen goes to LAA for SS prospect + ? We get Rasmus, Reyes, SS, ? Sounds decent to me, your thoughts?

There is still a team in the mix that I would bet is gonna get Bedard

Sonny was also quoted with these comments just a couple of days ago...

"No one has mentioned the team in thread yet. I only heard one name but there has to be one or two more to make it happen. And Clapdaddy...yes, it sure sounds like Bedard will be traded. MacPhail is just sitting back waiting for someone to cave with the name he wants to hear from the teams involved. Somebody will take the plunge. Obviously CF and SS need to be addressed in just about any Bedard deal. I would imagine the brass ring goes to whoever adds a young pitcher with great potential."

Perhaps the Texas Rangers? If AM likes CF Hamilton, then Hamilton, RHSP Hurley and SS Andrus works, if not, I don't see a deal with Texas unless he'll take prospects. I hope that we have no interest in 2B Ian Kinsler.

I spent about 2-3 hours reviewing the possible trade partners for EB, and IF the AL East teams are being avoided, then the following teams have possibilities;

Angels > SS-3B Wood, RHSP Adenhart, RHSP Walden

Mariners > CF Jones, C Clement, 2B Chen

Rangers > CF Hamilton, RHSP Hurley, SS Andrus (We may need to add another player)

Brewers > OF Hart, LHSP Parra, SS Escobar

Reds > RHSP Cueto, 1B Votto, CF Stubbs

Cubs > CF Pie, LHSP Veal, RHRP Ceda, SS Cedeno

Rockies > LHSP Morales, 3B Stewart, SS Nelson

Dodgers > LHSP Kershaw, 3B LaRoche, RHRP Meloan

I know, a lot to look over. Just more food for thought.

Just a thought, we've all kinda counted out St Louis, but how about a deal of Rasmus, Reyes, + a couple others. It was mentioned earlier in the off season they would be willing to deal Rasmus. Not a lot in their system, but there has been talk of trading Rolen. Perhaps they could trade Rolen for a few decent prospects and use one of those to finish out the deal for Bedard. Maybe Rolen goes to LAA for SS prospect + ? We get Rasmus, Reyes, SS, ? Sounds decent to me, your thoughts?

Man, I'd love to get my hands on Rasmus. He'd more than make up for losing out on Bruce.

They've been discussed before, and while Rasmus is a beast, I just don't see St. Louis having enough to get EB. Good idea to lookk outside the box though.

Perhaps the Texas Rangers? If AM likes CF Hamilton, then Hamilton, RHSP Hurley and SS Andrus works...

I don't know. I don't think the Rangers are a good option if Hamilton is a must. It sounds like they aren't planning on including him in any deal since they just hired Johnny Narron to continue mentoring him:

'Life coach' added

New Rangers center fielder Josh Hamilton will continue to get daily support from his close friend and longtime mentor Johnny Narron.

Narron, brother of former Rangers manager Jerry Narron, was a key reason the Reds picked Hamilton up (through the Cubs) in last year's Rule 5 draft. Narron ran the Reds' video system and was basically a personal life coach for Hamilton, who is a recovering drug addict.

Narron has been a longtime friend and Hamilton's former coach as a youth.

He'll serve in much the same capacity with the Rangers but with added responsibilities. Having previously been a hitting coach in the Brewers organization, he'll work with hitting coach Rudy Jaramillo and also serve as an in-game scout.

link

Have the Angels been seriously considered? Is the package Greg proposed (SS-3B Wood, RHSP Adenhart, RHSP Walden) good enough tho get Bedard?

That was before they traded Edmonds, now that he is gone, i believe they are counting on Rasmus in the OF this year.

Archived