Ryan Braun implicated in Biogenesis scandal

Migrant Redbird

The chain of custody was never broken! The arbitrator just ruled that the observer should have FedExed Braun's sample to the lab Saturday evening instead of securing it in a locked refrigerator until Monday. Only the timeliness of submission was in question, not the validity of the lab result or the chain of custody. Braun was as guilty as sin, but he got off on a technicality that should never have been upheld. The arbitrator was wrong; fortunately, he won't be hearing any more baseball arbitration cases.

Uh that's exactly what happened. There was protocol in place and it wasn't followed. Just because you don't like Braun or think he's guilty doesn't mean that the decision to throw out the sample was wrong. There's a chain of custody for a reason, so that the sample or evidence can't be tampered with. The courier not sending the sample off to whomever and just taking it home with him over the weekend doesn't seem like it's part of the standard procedure. How do we know what happened to the sample during that time, other than the guy saying it was sitting in his apartment?

I'll remember your logic when your brought up on murder charges one day and you complain that the murder weapon found in your house, went missing for a few days after the investigator gave it to the forensics tech,who was supposed to take it to the lab.

Uh that's exactly what happened. There was protocol in place and it wasn't followed. Just because you don't like Braun or think he's guilty doesn't mean that the decision to throw out the sample was wrong. There's a chain of custody for a reason, so that the sample or evidence can't be tampered with. The courier not sending the sample off to whomever and just taking it home with him over the weekend doesn't seem like it's part of the standard procedure. How do we know what happened to the sample during that time, other than the guy saying it was sitting in his apartment?

I'll remember your logic when your brought up on murder charges one day and you complain that the murder weapon found in your house, went missing for a few days after the investigator gave it to the forensics tech,who was supposed to take it to the lab.

It's my understanding that standard protocol was followed. The alternative was to have it in the fedex office over the weekend where it also could have been tampered with and probably not stored adequately. I thought the issue was that the the existing protocol (i.e. the examiners home being a secure location) was deemed to be insufficient.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/29/sports/baseball/drug-test-collector-in-braun-case-says-he-followed-protocol.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Laurenzi also said that in taking Braun’s sample, along with those of two other players, to his home for safekeeping, he was again following standard procedure. That procedure was in place because it had been determined that it was better to keep the samples in a secure location rather than leave them in a FedEx office where they could have been tampered with or not properly stored.

The protocol has been in place since 2005 when I started with CDT and there have been other occasions when I have had to store samples in my home for at least one day, all without incident,” Laurenzi said.

“The Florida Department of Health does not license a facility type known as anti-aging clinics, and does not recognize this type of facility in our state,” said Ashley Carr, a spokeswoman with the department.

Bosch started a number of failed medical businesses before returning from Belize in 2009 with a degree from the Central America Health Sciences University. He wore a white lab coat with “Dr. Tony Bosch” embroidered on itand a medical degree from the university hung on his wall.

“You are going to come back to me in six months because you failed — because I’m the king.”

Bosch

“I don’t know how the guy can tie his shoes, let alone have A-Rod as a client,”

Romero about Bosch

Romero said that he was familiar with the notebooks and that the handwriting looked like Bosch’s.

?The Florida Department of Health does not license a facility type known as anti-aging clinics, and does not recognize this type of facility in our state,? said Ashley Carr, a spokeswoman with the department.

Bosch started a number of failed medical businesses before returning from Belize in 2009 with a degree from the Central America Health Sciences University. He wore a white lab coat with ?Dr. Tony Bosch? embroidered on itand a medical degree from the university hung on his wall.

Bosch

Romero about Bosch

Romero said that he was familiar with the notebooks and that the handwriting looked like Bosch?s.

Yeah the guy is sleazy, but look at it this way. How many "experts" are out there that specialize in how to beat a drug test?

Your analogy isn't at all analogous. Check your facts next time.

Sorry, but the protocol was followed. The witness/custodian (not courier) had a refrigerator in his basement fitted with a lock specifically for the purpose of storing samples when the time of collection precluded them from being turned over to FedEx.

Hardball Times

The courier did not immediately head to a FedEx Office after collecting Braun?s sample following an early-October game because it was late on a Saturday night and he figured the store would be closed. Braun (or, rather, his lawyers) argued in January that the courier?s action was against policy, but the MLB-MLBPA joint drug agreement states that ?specimens cannot be placed in a FedEx Drop Box? and the five FedEx Office locations closest to Miller Park are all closed before 9 p.m. on Saturdays. In fact, the location closest to Miller Park ? just 3.28 miles away ? isn?t open at all on Saturdays.

Also, none of the FedEx Office locations in the Milwaukee area ship items out on Sundays. So instead of giving the sealed cup of urine to a FedEx Office employee at some point Sunday and hoping for proper handling, the courier followed the terms of the MLB-MLBPA joint drug agreement (see pages 37-39) by storing Braun?s urine sample in a
secure refrigerator at his residence
until Monday morning, when FedEx could finally get the shipment to the appropriate testing lab in Montreal.

The arbitrator decided that the custodian could have gotten to a FedEx office Saturday night (don't recall the details of his reasoning). There was also the fact that the custodian didn't deliver the sample to Fedex as soon as they opened on Monday, but delayed a few hours. Since Fedex advertises that they'll deliver overnight anything submitted before 5 PM, I don't see that delay as a significant issue, but the arbitrator did.

And it's stupid rationale like that which cost the arbitrator his job. MLB refused to renew his contract.

Merely having the audacity to not side with the commissioner's office is what cost him his job.

I would love to see a picture of this "secure" refrigerator.

I think there were also some issues with the guy using his son as an assistant/witness as well. That's just pretty lame. IMO there was zero reason to believe the sample had been tampered with though and the existing protocol (written or unwritten) had allowed the use of a home refrigerator to serve as a "secure" location. It's unfortunate Braun got off, but it does sound like things probably needed to be tightened up there.

Merely having the audacity to not side with the commissioner's office is what cost him his job.

His "rationale" was irrational and not in accordance with the text of the CBA.

I would love to see a picture of this "secure" refrigerator.

When I was a US Army company commander in Korea in 1985-86, we used an ordinary small refrigerator with a hasp mounted on it and a government issue padlock. We're not exactly talking about something that's new or rocket science here, merely common sense.

Archived