Saunders to the Mariners

TonySoprano

I don't see budget being the issue regarding Saunders. I see the no-sign as a value issue. The O's have created a competitive logjam for rotation spots 4 and 5. There are 6 or 7 guys fighting for those spots and the competition won't stop all year. That competition should help generate Saunders like #'s (era, whip, ip...) at a fraction of the cost - a better value.

If budget was a huge issue, we would've traded J. J.

By allowing the young guys to start, there's a good chance that their values will increase. It would give us several trade chips this year and next. We will also have the ability to let guys like Hammel and J. Johnson walk for extra picks if needed. I think we're playing for the long haul here.

Our biggest failure this off-season was to miss out on a MOO 1b/dh type. It wasn't missing out on Joe Saunders. He would've served a need - but was a bit of an expensive insurance policy - hence, not a great value.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't see budget being the issue regarding Saunders. I see the no-sign as a value issue. The O's have created a competitive logjam for rotation spots 4 and 5. There are 6 or 7 guys fighting for those spots and the competition won't stop all year. That competition should help generate Saunders like #'s (era, whip, ip...) at a fraction of the cost - a better value.

If budget was a huge issue, we would've traded J. J.

By allowing the young guys to start, there's a good chance that their values will increase. It would give us several trade chips this year and next. We will also have the ability to let guys like Hammel and J. Johnson walk for extra picks if needed. I think we're playing for the long haul here.

Our biggest failure this off-season was to miss out on a MOO 1b/dh type. It wasn't missing out on Joe Saunders. He would've served a need - but was a bit of an expensive insurance policy - hence, not a great value.

I get the value of a player theory to an extent. But is 7m for a guy that you know will give you close to 200 innings and an ERA around 4 really not worth it? To me it's worth the peace of mind over trying to patch together 200 innings out of Arrieta, Britton, and Johnson. Just my opinion.

Archived