Orioles Claim Todd Redmond

clapdiddy

If we release Andino, then you definitely get nothing for him. You trade Andino and you get Robinson. A player with options has more value and it also depends at the time of the off-season that it occurs. Robinson is a casualty of adding other guys to the roster, it happens. A healthy Reimold and with McLouth on the roster there wasn't as big of a need for Robinson. It also probably helps that we signed Dickerson to a minor league deal and have him in Norfolk if need be.

I get all of your post, but the bolded part kind of reinforces my question....why trade for Trayvon if we didnt need him? Why not find a guy with options to trade Andino for...

Again, not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, I am just curious.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Haha, because clearly they couldn't get a guy with options for Andino. Because Andino is not that good of a player. At least this way, there's a chance Trayvon stays in your system, which he probably will. Better to take a shot then just let Dino walk.

Also, at the time of the trade the O's didn't know if they'd have McLouth back yet. They didn't know they would sign Dickerson, etc.

I suppose, like I said its not a big deal, was just wondering. I mean if I were GM Andino wouldnt have even been around last year =)

I get all of your post, but the bolded part kind of reinforces my question....why trade for Trayvon if we didnt need him? Why not find a guy with options to trade Andino for...

Because Andino had little value. The best DD could do was to get a player out of options. The fact he got Robinson, who was once a top prospect in Boston/LA's system seemed like a coup. And the bolded part wasn't true when we acquired Robinson. McLouth was a free agent and there was still question marks surrounding Reimold. So they got insurance.

Redmond has spent the last 4 years as a SP in AAA with Atlanta and Cincinnati. Just see ms odd that he would only get one quick cup of coffee in that time. Are the Braves and reds starters so good that redmond couldn't break through? Or was there is something those teams saw that made them believe he was not a MLB pitcher?

Because Andino had little value. The best DD could do was to get a player out of options. The fact he got Robinson, who was once a top prospect in Boston/LA's system seemed like a coup. And the bolded part wasn't true when we acquired Robinson. McLouth was a free agent and there was still question marks surrounding Reimold. So they got insurance.

The thing that I like most is that DD got something and isnt afraid to let it go for something that he thinks could be more helpful. That is something that I think this team lacked in the past. If you look at the way the Giants do things, they arent afraid to not bring back players from the previous year. IE Juan Uribe who did awesome for them in the playoffs in 2010, maybe Brian Wilson. They seem to move on and so does DD IE the Sheriff. And DD doesnt look at each move as "I picked up the guy, I have to stick with him or it looks like it was a bad move to begin with".

Redmond has spent the last 4 years as a SP in AAA with Atlanta and Cincinnati. Just see ms odd that he would only get one quick cup of coffee in that time. Are the Braves and reds starters so good that redmond couldn't break through? Or was there is something those teams saw that made them believe he was not a MLB pitcher?

The Reds five starting rotation guys made every single start they were supposed to make last year without any injuries (aside from Cueto in the playoffs but let's not go there so I can keep my sanity today, LOL :slytf: ). Redmond was brought in to pitch the second game of a day-night doubleheader that was scheduled due to weather issues earlier in the season. He may not have seen time on the MLB roster if they hadn't needed a sixth starter for that one game (not sure if they would have brought him up in September or not). He was solid for the Louisville Bats but the Reds starters just didn't miss any time last year so there was no spot for him.

BTW-I was actually at the game Redmond pitched and while he didn't look horrible, he was definitely nervous and it showed quite a few times. I think he'll be fine in the majors as long as he can control his nerves and trust his pitches. :)

I think part of it is that the Mariners need middle infield help, so they sent Andino to a team that can use him, rather than just sending him off to the waiver wire rollercoaster. In other words, a nice thing to do for Andino that really doesn't hurt anybody.

You could also ask, why did the Mariners trade for Andino only to immediately non-tender him (and then re-sign him)? Sometimes it's useful to have a guy in your organization even if it's only for a few days, or a couple months in Robinson's case. You never know what other moves you will or won't make during that time.

I think part of it is that the Mariners need middle infield help, so they sent Andino to a team that can use him, rather than just sending him off to the waiver wire rollercoaster. In other words, a nice thing to do for Andino that really doesn't hurt anybody.

Gotcha, if this was the case it makes complete sense.

You could also ask, why did the Mariners trade for Andino only to immediately non-tender him (and then re-sign him)? Sometimes it's useful to have a guy in your organization even if it's only for a few days, or a couple months in Robinson's case. You never know what other moves you will or won't make during that time.

I guess this is why I am not a GM...

So they could lower his salary by more than the allowable amount through arbitration probably.

To make room for Redmond, the Orioles designated Trayvon Robinson for assignment. I would think they could have gotten Danny Valencia through waivers right about now.

Edit: Apologies--should have opened the Redmond thread and see it first, but it seemed like this move was thread-worthy. Mods, delete or move if you'd like.

Actually, yes. The Braves and Reds have two of the youngest, deepest, most talented rotations in all of baseball.

As was already mentioned, the Reds used the same five starters all season, from opening day into the playoffs. That's very rare.

Also, the Braves have guys like Minor, Teheran, and Delgado in their system, who are obviously higher prospects than Redmond, in addition to talented young pitchers like Beachy, Medlen and Hanson (since traded).

And, for all of those people saying that if Robinson gets claimed, we essentially gave Andino away for nothing...I will choose to look at it as we got Redmond for Andino. Not exactly accurate, but it will make me feel a bit better.

Archived