Loria rejects Jeb Bush offer to buy Marlins

Elbren

Surprised this hasn't gotten more press. It's a slow time for baseball atm and this link was from 4 days ago.

Yahoo Sports Link

Former Florida governor and possible 2016 presidential candidate Jeb Bush made a "large offer" to purchase the Miami Marlins only to be rejected by current owner Jeffrey Loria.

Bush and a group of investors made the offer during this offseason, according to the Miami Herald.

The 72-year-old Loria has no intentions of selling the team at this time because he "loves" owning the team, the Herald said.

Bush would not be the first member of the family to own a baseball team. His brother, former President George Bush, was part owner of the Texas Rangers from 1989 to 1998 before being elected president.

Jeb Bush was Florida's governor from 1999 to 2007. He now is involved with an education advocacy group and remains active on the political scene.

In other Marlins news:

The "line" for single-game tickets for the Marlins ... 30 minutes before they go on sale.

Tweeted by Joe Capozzi of Palm Beach Post.

marlinstickets020913.jpg

A "busy" concession stand at the Marlin's fan fest.

Tweeted by Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald.

Marlins3.jpg

Pretty sure the guy in the camo is just asking for directions, too.

Loria is the greatest troll the world has ever known.

The picture reminds me of this Tampa area paper who ran a story about early voting in 2012. The caption was something about people lined up all morning ahead of polls opening, and the photo was two senior citizens, one of which was clearly using the post office box outside of the entrance.

FANS COME OUT IN DROVES FOR SINGLE GAME TICKETS.

Yes though, Loria has got to be one of the worst owners in history. What a jerk.

Bit more Loria fun

In addition to assuring Reyes that the Marlins would never trade him, the shortstop says Loria was telling him to buy himself a nice house in Miami right up until two days before he was traded to Toronto.

“He always told me to get a nice house in Miami,” Reyes said, via Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com. “I was at a dinner with him in New York, and he was still talking about the house.

“Two days later, I got traded.”

http://network.yardbarker.com/mlb/article_external/jose_reyes_marlins_owner_jeffrey_loria_told_me_to_buy_house_two_days_before_trade/12924415

Loria was and is a scumbag. He helped put the final nails in the coffin of the Expos and is now doing the same to the Marlins. We can gripe about Angelos all we want but at least he hasn't destroyed baseball in two different locations.

It's also the reason why I wish the Yankees had won back in 03 against the Marlins. Sometimes you have to pick the lesser of two evils and in that year,George S was def the lesser.

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing new there. Truly the worst owner in baseball right now. Baseball is doing something about teams like the Yanks and Red Sox who simply blew other teams out of the water hwen it came to free agents etc.

Now it's time to do something about slezeball owners like Loria.

MLB's ridiculous review process of potential new owners is "supposed" to weed out jerks like Loria. But he not only made it through to buy the Expos, he was approved to buy the Marlins AND the other ML owners all chipped in to buy the Expos from him. It's unreal that this guy has been blessed by the MLB fraternity not just once, but three times. Of course, the reality is he has gotten two brand new, taxpayer funded stadiums for MLB, and that is all that matters to Bud Selig and probably a good portion of the owners.

Archived