Michael Bourn signs with Cleveland 4 year 48 million

OsnRavensallday

With an otion for 17' at 12 mill, I personally would of loved to seen the O's make a move for him. He signed way cheaper than what I thought he was holding out for, he would of been nice in center or left and a top lead off guy for our line-up. It would of also let us move Hardy down to a more natural spot in the line-up, something that Buck has been trying to do for awhile now . On a side note the Indians have had a nice off-season, Bourn, Reynolds,Swisher,Trevor Bauer, Drew Stubbs, and Brett Myers, they might give the Tigers some competition.This is what our line-up could of looked like with the addition of Bourn

CF/LF- Bourn

2B- Roberts

RF- Markakis

CF/LF - Jones

1B- Davis

C- Wieters

SS-Hardy

DH - Betemit/Reimold

3B-Machado

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frustrating that Cleveland can be a major player in free agency but the O's can only sign McClouth.

Cleveland has some nice pieces

Reynolds 34HR, 95 RBI, .807 OPS (career averages) for 6 million

Swisher .830 career OPS

Bourn, statistically best defensive CF'er in baseball, 50 SB/year

Cabrera at SS

Starting pitching is still weak but they will score more runs than the O's

The years/money was reasonable, but you have to keep in mind that Cleveland also lost a first-round pick by signing Michael Bourn. Also, as nice as it would be to add Bourn to our outfield, I would want to send our franchise player (Adam Jones) the wrong message by signing another centerfielder right after he agreed to stay with us long term for less money. Jones would have easily got a $120+ million contract if he signed elsewhere.

They lost a pick for Swisher too.

The years/money was reasonable, but you have to keep in mind that Cleveland also lost a first-round pick by signing Michael Bourn. Also, as nice as it would be to add Bourn to our outfield, I would want to send our franchise player (Adam Jones) the wrong message by signing another centerfielder right after he agreed to stay with us long term for less money. Jones would have easily got a $120+ million contract if he signed elsewhere.

Cleveland actually forfeited their competitive balance pick, #69 overall, for Bourn. They gave up the second round pick for Swisher. Their first round pick was protected.

Cleveland actually forfeited their competitive balance pick, #69 overall, for Bourn. They gave up the second round pick for Swisher. Their first round pick was protected.

One of the costs of having a good season is that you lose a higher (first round) pick if you sign a top free agent. We haven't had that problem in a while.

I knew Bourn wouldn't get the ridiculous money some were suggesting. I think Cleveland did well with this deal.

Don't fret O's fans. Ownership will invest in free agency when the MASN money starts rolling in. Strike that, I meant to say when the team is competitive. Wait, no, that's not right anymore, either. I meant to say when the time and market are right. That's the official company line, now, right?

Don't fret O's fans. Ownership will invest in free agency when the MASN money starts rolling in. Strike that, I meant to say when the team is competitive. Wait, no, that's not right anymore, either. I meant to say when the time and market are right. That's the official company line, now, right?

Or when a player is a clear upgrade over what we have. I understand your frustration, but not when it comes to Michael Bourn. Bourn would not be worth 12 million a year as a left fielder and he and Jones would not be worth their combined salaries if Jones had to play left field. Also, potentially Nolan Reimold could outperform Bourn offensively this year.

No, but all the other teams spend as much (and in some cases more) than what their budget allows, and the teams that actually are limited in how much they can spend make trades to acquire high level talent.

Really? You know every team's budget? And the Orioles are the only team making money?

I would have absolutely signed Bourn to that deal... he'll have to have a very swift decline to not be worth $48M over the next four years.

This is the first time this offseason that I can really look at a major FA signing somewhere else and feel disappointed that the Orioles didn't at least offer the same. Baltimore is a preferable landing spot to Cleveland at the moment so I'd guess we could have had him for the same cost.

Archived