Michael Bourn signs with Cleveland 4 year 48 million

OsnRavensallday

Very aggravating that they get Swisher and Bourn....and we don't get anyone.

This.

I will say this-Buck's extension is more valuable than any player we could have signed, but still. No excuse, couldn't agree more. Pathetic showing this offseason.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would have absolutely signed Bourn to that deal... he'll have to have a very swift decline to not be worth $48M over the next four years.

This is the first time this offseason that I can really look at a major FA signing somewhere else and feel disappointed that the Orioles didn't at least offer the same. Baltimore is a preferable landing spot to Cleveland at the moment so I'd guess we could have had him for the same cost.

I would rather have the first round pick. Bourn is a good player but his skills are such that swift decline is more likely because his skills are dependent on speed, which are the first to go. Also, the Orioles already have a center fielder. Whether you think he should be playing centerfield or not, Adam Jones is a face of the franchise and wouldn't be moved at this point in his career.

Or when a player is a clear upgrade over what we have. I understand your frustration, but not when it comes to Michael Bourn. Bourn would not be worth 12 million a year as a left fielder and he and Jones would not be worth their combined salaries if Jones had to play left field. Also, potentially Nolan Reimold could outperform Bourn offensively this year.

Unfortunately, with the Orioles it doesn't matter one iota whether the player is an upgrade or not. The team would not sign anyone to a $12 million a year contract, even if they played first and averaged 40 HR's a year.

Bourn had over 700 plate appearances last year....Reimold has 200 less in the last 3 years combined!

Unfortunately' date=' with the Orioles it doesn't matter one iota whether the player is an upgrade or not. The team would not sign anyone to a $12 million a year contract, even if they played first and averaged 40 HR's a year.

Bourn had over 700 plate appearances last year....Reimold has 200 less in the last 3 years combined![/quote']

The Orioles have two players making over $12 million in 2014.

Frustrating that Cleveland can be a major player in free agency but the O's can only sign McClouth.

Cleveland has some nice pieces

Reynolds 34HR, 95 RBI, .807 OPS (career averages) for 6 million

Swisher .830 career OPS

Bourn, statistically best defensive CF'er in baseball, 50 SB/year

Cabrera at SS

Starting pitching is still weak but they will score more runs than the O's

That's the key point. Pitching.

Frustrating that Cleveland can be a major player in free agency but the O's can only sign McClouth.

Cleveland has some nice pieces

Reynolds 34HR, 95 RBI, .807 OPS (career averages) for 6 million

Swisher .830 career OPS

Bourn, statistically best defensive CF'er in baseball, 50 SB/year

Cabrera at SS

Starting pitching is still weak but they will score more runs than the O's

They overpaid for Swisher and went too long on the contract to Bourn. I agree they "won the offseason" in comparison to the Orioles but they'll be regretting those deals in a few years.

The triumph of DD's offseason was that he didn't do anything stupid... like sign Bourn to 4 years...

If you're going to lose a pick, the Orioles should have done it this year when they are picking in the mid-20s. The whole "losing a pick" thing is dreadfully overrated on this board.

Saying that losing a pick is dreadfully overrated, is the epitome of hyperbole. Especially, when your teams leaders have said they plan to build through the draft.

Archived