Michael Bourn signs with Cleveland 4 year 48 million

OsnRavensallday

Would you guys rather sign free agents, or win games? Not that those things are mutually exclusive, of course, but considering that we just won 93 games, I'm having a hard time feeling too jealous about Cleveland. And by the way, even with the additions of Bourn and Swisher, our payroll is still higher than the Indians'. We're projected to have the 8th highest payroll in the AL, 16th in MLB. The way you guys act, you'd think we were the cheapest team in baseball.

The problem, Frobby, is do you ever see us signing an "impact" free agent in the near future to take us over the top? I am not saying Bourn was that guy, but I do think we could have used Swisher.

I think most peoples frustration is with the fact that since Tejada, who we literally had no competition for, who have we signed that is a higher tier free agent?

Our positional prospects after Schoop are basically nil, so how the heck are we going to get positional guys? What happens when Hardy is old? Is Machado capable of handling SS? If he is then who moves to 3b? What about if Schoop doesnt work out at 2b, our blackhole still exists. We still need a 1b in my opinion as I do not think Davis can play there. LF as well is going to be an issue moving forward. Next years FA crop is going to be almost as barren as this years.

We are afraid to move our young pitching in trades, we could have traded for Morales or Morse...both guys would have improved our offense. So if we arent trading for guys, and arent signing guys....then what is left? Building through the draft is nice, but our system has a huge dropoff, so are we heading into another rebuild phase here? What exactly is the plan? We seem to have one foot in the "now" and one foot in the "future". If we are trying to win now why not go after players this year? If we are trying to build for the future then why are we keeping guys like Jim Johnson and JJ Hardy?

We made the playoffs last year, why are we not trying to take that next step into a World Series contender? If this season wasnt the season to do it then will there ever be one?

Sorry to go on a rant, its just frustrating seeing other teams identify needs, and act on it, while we are still waiting to see if our young guys pan out or not rather then be aggressive and go for it. You can be aggressive without being stupid.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The problem, Frobby, is do you ever see us signing an "impact" free agent in the near future to take us over the top? I am not saying Bourn was that guy, but I do think we could have used Swisher.

I think most peoples frustration is with the fact that since Tejada, who we literally had no competition for, who have we signed that is a higher tier free agent?

Our positional prospects after Schoop are basically nil, so how the heck are we going to get positional guys? What happens when Hardy is old? Is Machado capable of handling SS? If he is then who moves to 3b? What about if Schoop doesnt work out at 2b, our blackhole still exists. We still need a 1b in my opinion as I do not think Davis can play there. LF as well is going to be an issue moving forward. Next years FA crop is going to be almost as barren as this years.

We are afraid to move our young pitching in trades, we could have traded for Morales or Morse...both guys would have improved our offense. So if we arent trading for guys, and arent signing guys....then what is left? Building through the draft is nice, but our system has a huge dropoff, so are we heading into another rebuild phase here? What exactly is the plan? We seem to have one foot in the "now" and one foot in the "future". If we are trying to win now why not go after players this year? If we are trying to build for the future then why are we keeping guys like Jim Johnson and JJ Hardy?

We made the playoffs last year, why are we not trying to take that next step into a World Series contender? If this season wasnt the season to do it then will there ever be one?

Sorry to go on a rant, its just frustrating seeing other teams identify needs, and act on it, while we are still waiting to see if our young guys pan out or not rather then be aggressive and go for it. You can be aggressive without being stupid.

I think there is a decent chance that the O's will trade for a significant bat at the trade deadline. They know they need help in the the playoffs. Some deadline teams are a little cheaper.

Sorry if I'm not feeling overly depressed on losing out on Michael Bourn. Up until yesterday there was no news on him, to the point people were talking about him having to sign a one or two year deal. Now, all of a sudden he signs for four years, and people are upset about not getting him? For one or two years, at that price, maybe I'd think about it, but to sign a guy whose entire game is built around speed and is already 30 for four years, when we already have a lot of years and money tied up into the outfield, is insane. If you're going to spend to upgrade, have it be a real, impactful signing. Michael Bourn is not, and would not have been that kind of signing, especially not for four years.

I think there is a decent chance that the O's will trade for a significant bat at the trade deadline. They know they need help in the the playoffs. Some deadline teams are a little cheaper.

I really hope so, although if they are out of it do you think they will still do it?

You hit the nail on the head. The O's chose to not upgrade via free agency or trade. They let Reynolds and Saunders walk for chump change.

I really think if they weren't going to make serious upgrade they should have traded Hardy and Johnson. Hardy is blocking Machado's development as a premeir talent, and 6 million dollars for a closer is ridiculous for a team that is at best going to finish around .500

A small part of my Orioles fandom dies every time signings like this are announced.

You are way overreacting. Why can't some be happy for players the O's have? You do realize that GM's were asking for

Bundy in trade talks. The FA class was not all that good. Now as for Cleveland. Just because they got Bourn and Swisher

does not make them automatically champions. I am happy to chear for this O's team. Nor do I want them to trade away

their top pitching prospect. Don't give up on the O's because they didn't sign Bourn or Swisher. Or give Josh Hamilton

125 million five year deal. Hang in there this O's team is going to be good.

This.

I will say this-Buck's extension is more valuable than any player we could have signed, but still. No excuse, couldn't agree more. Pathetic showing this offseason.

Really? See if you feel the same way at the end of the season when the Orioles come back to earth. They played the off-season by shopping in the Dollar Store; they are hoping to catch lightning in a bottle 2 years in a row; they regard their draft picks and prospects as untouchables.

Really? See if you feel the same way at the end of the season when the Orioles come back to earth. They played the off-season by shopping in the Dollar Store; they are hoping to catch lightning in a bottle 2 years in a row; they regard their draft picks and prospects as untouchables.

Because they don't have an exorbitant amount of prospects to trade. I think the Blue Jays are just as likely to crash and burn as they are to win the division, but they had the prospects to deal to get the guys they did. Outside of Bundy, Gausman (who can't be traded right now per the CBA), and possibly Schoop, the Orioles just don't have the guys in the minors to trade. You can't trade what you don't have, and there aren't a lot of guys I'd trade a Dylan Bundy for right now.

You heard it here first: Nate and Nolan will put up better all around numbers and higher WAR than Bourn by the end of the season. The power, speed, and on base combination those two have really should trump Bourn's speed and contact rate.

Can Nolan stay healthy? I really am not counting on him for anything...whatever we get from him is a bonus in my mind.

Who would we have traded that was comparable and fit the other teams needs? The Angels wanted a stable starter who throws a lot of innings. We have exactly zero of those. The Mariners acquired Morse for A.J. Cole. Who would have been comparable from us? We only have two pitching prospects worth anything and both of them would have been far too much.

I worked over the Bourn option quite a bit. At 4/48, its a pretty fair contract. Although I'm bit skeptical about his age. He could be Carl Crawford Jr. That is a risk.

However, it just doesn't work for the Orioles because moving Adam Jones to LF (at this time) is a moral killer. You just can't do it. And Bourn as a LF is just silly, his primary value is defender CF.

Signing a Bourn type player in 2-3 years and moving Jones to LF, now that could happen.

I really can't see a free agent that I would have wanted our team to sign this year. (not for the money any of them got) I would have liked to of made a trade but the thought of trading Bundy or Gausman just doesn't make any sense to me especially when you think of how much a good pitcher costs right now. As everyone knows that seems to be the 2 main players everyone wants. Morse might have been a decent pick up for us and I don't think we would have had to trade either of our top 2 prospects for him. That's the kind of deal I would like for DD to pull off. Just think spring training is just getting started so he has plenty of time to pull off a trade to help us.

I worked over the Bourn option quite a bit. At 4/48, its a pretty fair contract. Although I'm bit skeptical about his age. He could be Carl Crawford Jr. That is a risk.

However, it just doesn't work for the Orioles because moving Adam Jones to LF (at this time) is a moral killer. You just can't do it. And Bourn as a LF is just silly, his primary value is defender CF.

Signing a Bourn type player in 2-3 years and moving Jones to LF, now that could happen.

Seems to me that Adam Jones wants to win. Signing a premier defensive CF'er and lead off hitter would be something he would have welcomed. I think he would have been happy to move to LF to help the team.

So you want to worry about SS even though Hardy is still under contract for 2 more seasons. How would we have gone about "solving" that issue this off-season?

According to DD, it wasn't so much being afraid to move the young pitching, but rather he didn't see equal value, which is understandable.

We pretty much need our young guys to pan out for sustained success. This is why it seems that we have a foot in both directions. I still believe the ultimate goal was to compete in 2014 and with a down year from the Red Sox thrusted us into competition.

And this may sound trite, but I think we see some bigger trades this coming season or next off-season simply because there will be too much pitching that will be ready for the majors so that some of it needs to be moved.

Archived