Bob Haynie: Cautiously Optimistic about 2013

MemorialStadKid

The Angels were "built to win" with their "video game lineup" last year, but I kept flipping around from channel to channel and couldn't for the life of me find them anywhere during the playoffs. Weird.

And how about them Marlins. Pretty sure they bought every available player last year, were picked by all the "experts" to win it all, and were already selling their team off in pieces by June. The Blue Jays look alot like the 2012 Marlins to me.

But we know, a team is not built to win without spending spending spending. :rolleyes:

That's because the Blue Jays traded for half the Marlins team. :P

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's actually extremely realistic when looking at the second half of the season, where luck was not nearly the factor it was in the first half of the season. They were without question one of the best teams in MLB over the course of the last half of the season, which is a nice sample size. And that's without Nick Markakis in the lineup and the upgrade that exists with Nolan on the team and Andino off of it.

Its a no win argument. Save yourself time and just bash your head against your desk, its less painful then a discussion with MSK.

Its a no win argument. Save yourself time and just bash your head against your desk, its less painful then a discussion with MSK.

Snark aside, you aren't making a counter-argument. You're just saying "you're wrong, you're wrong."

If the Red Sox had been a factor in the 2nd half of the season, we WOULD NOT have made the playoffs. One of the main reasons we did as well as we did was that the Blue Jays got hurt, the Red Sox fell apart, and we had to slug it out with the Yanks and Rays. We did great under those circumstances.

The Red Sox could shock us all this season and the Blue Jays will be a factor. And the Rays aren't going to go away quietly.

I don't think I'm saying something controversial. I can't pretend everything is "a-okay" though.

MSK

The Angels were "built to win" with their "video game lineup" last year, but I kept flipping around from channel to channel and couldn't for the life of me find them anywhere during the playoffs. Weird.

And how about them Marlins. Pretty sure they bought every available player last year, were picked by all the "experts" to win it all, and were already selling their team off in pieces by June. The Blue Jays look alot like the 2012 Marlins to me.

But we know, a team is not built to win without spending spending spending. :rolleyes:

Snark aside, you aren't making a counter-argument. You're just saying "you're wrong, you're wrong."

MSK

As usual, you ignore everyone's counter-arguments and just go on with your same shtick. Answer my post above from page 1 that you skipped over!

As usual, Team Hate-on-MSK is in full effect. I can handle it.

Just wish we could have an actual conversation sometimes.

Oy.

MSK

I don't think anyone is hating on you, but you have been banging the same drum for several years. Your points have probably become more irritating to some given the 2012 season where the team experienced success without spending money. This fact has emboldened your naysayers.

I think there are probably a lot of people who generally agree with you (myself included) about the more likely outcome of this season. The offseason can only be judged from the perspective of what you thought of the 2012 season. If you believe as Dipper and many others appear to believe, which is that this team is a 93 win team, then this past offseason wouldn't be too upsetting (with the possible exception of the loss of Reynolds). If you believe as I do (and I think you do too) that 2012 was likely an aberration then the status quo is upsetting. I think we have a pretty divided group (which is normal) but at least the group that is positive about the 2013 team (and thus not upset by the offseason) has a 93 win season in their back pocket. This fact has certainly changed the dynamic of the age old (on the OH anyway) argument of big FA splash versus small moves and rely on your Farm system.

All of that said, I would put myself in the camp of cautiously hopeful. I am just excited about the season as I am every year.

I don't think anyone is hating on you, but you have been banging the same drum for several years. Your points have probably become more irritating to some given the 2012 season where the team experienced success without spending money. This fact has emboldened your naysayers.

I think there are probably a lot of people who generally agree with you (myself included) about the more likely outcome of this season. The offseason can only be judged from the perspective of what you thought of the 2012 season. If you believe as Dipper and many others appear to believe, which is that this team is a 93 win team, then this past offseason wouldn't be too upsetting (with the possible exception of the loss of Reynolds). If you believe as I do (and I think you do too) that 2012 was likely an aberration then the status quo is upsetting. I think we have a pretty divided group (which is normal) but at least the group that is positive about the 2013 team (and thus not upset by the offseason) has a 93 win season in their back pocket. This fact has certainly changed the dynamic of the age old (on the OH anyway) argument of big FA splash versus small moves and rely on your Farm system.

All of that said, I would put myself in the camp of cautiously hopeful. I am just excited about the season as I am every year.

Great post. But just to clarify. The issue is not with MSK specifically, its with anyone who makes a point over and over again, completely ignores the counterpoints, and then acts like everyone hates him because his views are different. An example is what MSK has done in this thread!

At best its a naive person who sees things with blinders on and is unwilling to have a real discussion. At worst its trolling. Either way, its impossible to have a conversation with this type of poster.

Great post. But just to clarify. The issue is not with MSK specifically, its with anyone who makes a point over and over again, completely ignores the counterpoints, and then acts like everyone hates him because his views are different. An example is what MSK has done in this thread!

At best its a naive person who sees things with blinders on and is unwilling to have a real discussion. At worst its trolling. Either way, its impossible to have a conversation with this type of poster.

I hear ya Dip!!!

Archived