Hangout Poll: Who do you think will be the 5th starter?

Tony-OH

Who will win the 5th starer's job?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the 5th starer's job?

I find it awful strange the the Orioles have not announced Jurrjens by this point. This make me think something went wrong with the physical. I would not be surprised to see the Orioles either walk away or give him a non-guaranteed deal. Until he's announced, he's not an option.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't see why Steve Johnson gets so overlooked. I realize he only started a handful of games last season, but his ERA/WHIP were great. My vote would be for Steve.

Despite Johnson's dominant numbers last year, few scouts believe long term in his invis-a-ball. Saying that, if he throws the ball the way he did last year he'll be in the mix, no doubt. I would say not to count him out but for me, he's probably behind Britton and Arrieta going into the season.

Either Tillman or Gonzalez would have to have epic meltdowns to not make the rotation. When's the last time a guy got a playoff start and failed to make the rotation the next year (not because of injury)?

Who would make the rotation over either of those guys? Matusz? Not likely. Hunter? No. Johnson? Not five months ago Gonzalez was starting in the playoffs while Johnson wasn't even on the roster. The Rule 5er? Right. Injury is the only way Hammel, Chen, Tillman, and Gonzalez don't make the rotation.

Tillman was good for 3 months. Gonzales for a little longer.

They earned being penciled in as of Spring Training but it takes more then half a season to earn a non-compete. If Arrieta and Britton are lights out while Gonzales or Tillman revert, anything can happen.

Competition is the spice of this team.

I think in the best of all possible worlds Buck wants two LHP in the pen and two in the rotation. So if they are all pitching well I would see McFarland in the pen Matusz at #5 and Britton first up from Norfolk if no one is injured in ST. Britton isn't much of an option out of the pen IMO but Matusz is. If Matusz and/or McFarland struggle Matusz can be sent dioen or go to the pen and McFarland can be sent back, and Britton comes up.

I think in the best of all possible worlds Buck wants two LHP in the pen and two in the rotation.

What makes you think that Buck wants two lefties in the rotation? I don't remember him saying anything about this. Buck of all people seems like the kind of manager who would just want his five best starters in the rotation, regardless of which hand they throw with.

They earned being penciled in as of Spring Training but it takes more then half a season to earn a non-compete. If Arrieta and Britton are lights out while Gonzales or Tillman revert, anything can happen.

Can you really imagine Buck going with an opening day rotation of Hammel, Chen, Arrieta, Britton, and I don't know... McFarland, while Gonzalez and Tillman are in the pen or Norfolk or released/traded? To me that's like saying LJ Hoes is going to win the starting LF job.

Unless they have epic meltdowns this spring or an injury, I can't imagine a rotation without them included. Both pitch well enough for long enough that they are not competing for a job in my mind. As long as there is no drop in stuff, both will be in the 2013 rotation regardless of how well Arrieta or Matusz pitch this spring.

Yea, that's a realistic scenario. It's pretty likely that sometime in the next few months we'll have threads with titles like "Who's the #1 now that Hammel is on the DL" or "Who's the #4 while Gonzalez is rehabbing his hammy" or something.

Not to mention the inevitable "Sure would have been nice to have Saunders now that so and so are out".

To answer the thread, Britton certainly has the edge. I can't see any scenerio where Arrieta gets the nod, so I don't know why people are throwing that name out. Really? Him over Britton or Johnson would be a travesty. They deserve the first shot.

I can't see any scenerio where Arrieta gets the nod, so I don't know why people are throwing that name out. Really? Him over Britton or Johnson would be a travesty. They deserve the first shot.

Arrieta has the stuff and the peripherals to be a clear frontrunner, but his meltdown last year takes him down a notch. He saw his K rate, walk rate surge forward last year, where he's about on par with guys like Matt Cain. If he could keep his mechanics across the stretch/windup transition he'd be great.

I've seen more than one article on potential 2013 breakouts across the league mention Arrieta's name.

Not to mention the inevitable "Sure would have been nice to have Saunders now that so and so are out".

To answer the thread, Britton certainly has the edge. I can't see any scenerio where Arrieta gets the nod, so I don't know why people are throwing that name out. Really? Him over Britton or Johnson would be a travesty. They deserve the first shot.

I don't know. If Britton struggles with his command and Arrieta is looking good, I can certainly see the Orioles giving him another chance in the rotation. Guys with Arrieta's stuff will always be given chances because when they are on, they are pretty special. Don't count Arrieta out. I personally think Britton will win the job with a good spring, but Arrieta will be in the mix if he pitches to his capability.

What makes you think that Buck wants two lefties in the rotation? I don't remember him saying anything about this. Buck of all people seems like the kind of manager who would just want his five best starters in the rotation, regardless of which hand they throw with.
Why do they have so many LH SP in camp? When last season did they not have two LHP in the rotation whether it was Saunders, Matusz, Britton or Eveland? I don't have to heart Buck saying anything, I just watch what he does.

Why do they have so many LH SP in camp?

They don't. They have Chen, Britton, Matusz, and McFarland. That's four. Compared to 11 right handers: Hammel, Gonzalez, Tillman, Arrieta, Bundy, Gausman, Hunter, S.Johnson, Redmond, Zach Clark, and Jurrjens (if he ever becomes official).

When last season did they not have two LHP in the rotation whether it was Saunders, Matusz, Britton or Eveland? I don't have to heart Buck saying anything, I just watch what he does.

That's simply a matter of the personnel that were available at the time. Buck didn't make it a point to replace a left-handed starter with a left-handed starter or a righty with a righty.

Also, if Buck is so insistent on having two lefties in the rotation, what about 2011? The Orioles had only one lefty starter (Britton) for the entire months of April and May, and got only two starts from a lefty in July.

Again, I've never seen or heard any indication from Buck that he needs two lefty starters. And I certainly don't see him trying to shoehorn a second lefty into the rotation this spring at the expense of a better right-handed candidate.

I don't think it will be that simple.

I believe one of the 4 locks will go down with an injury in spring training... and Arietta and Britton will be the 4/5 starters.

I agree with this, but it may not even be injury. I think our best five are Hammel, Chen, Tillman, Arrieta, and Britton. I hate to say it, but I don't see Gonzo repeating last year's success.

Given the OP, Britton.

But I honestly don't think Tillman and Gonzalez are locked in the rotation. Favorites? Sure. But there are 3 spots up for grabs. 4 if you assume the 6th man is going get plenty of work.

Tillman is out of options so its major league team or bust. He is in the rotation. No questions asked..

And I don't understand why people think Gonzo isn't a lock, he went into Yankee Stadium and pitched lights out in the playoffs. Sure, lets send him back to Norfolk.

They don't. They have Chen, Britton, Matusz, and McFarland. That's four. Compared to 11 right handers: Hammel, Gonzalez, Tillman, Arrieta, Bundy, Gausman, Hunter, S.Johnson, Redmond, Zach Clark, and Jurrjens (if he ever becomes official).

That's simply a matter of the personnel that were available at the time. Buck didn't make it a point to replace a left-handed starter with a left-handed starter or a righty with a righty.

Also, if Buck is so insistent on having two lefties in the rotation, what about 2011? The Orioles had only one lefty starter (Britton) for the entire months of April and May, and got only two starts from a lefty in July.

Again, I've never seen or heard any indication from Buck that he needs two lefty starters. And I certainly don't see him trying to shoehorn a second lefty into the rotation this spring at the expense of a better right-handed candidate.

Chen, Britton, Wada, Jurrjens, McFarland, Matusz. All options for #5 starter. RH options: Arrieta, Hunter Johnson.I like the chances for a Lefty.

Archived