Hangout Poll: Who do you think will be the 5th starter?

Tony-OH

Who will win the 5th starer's job?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the 5th starer's job?

Britton, Arrieta, Matusz, Johnson, Jurjjens, and Redmond all have option years remaining. Mr. Rule 5 Pick MFar (:P) must stay on the roster.

While Arrieta has been said to have the most talent, he has the poorest results of that group and didn't look any better after his stint at Norfolk. I would send him down to work with Peterson. If he is given another chance and completely bombs, he will have no value whatsoever and will be sent to Norfolk anyway. Hopefully if he goes to Norfolk first, he can rebuild some value and skill. This is why Jurjjens will also end up in Norfolk once he is signed.

Britton looked good for those 4 starts and then with one bad outing lost his position. For him, I think its a numbers game. I would send him down to Norfolk to get a start or two in. Johnson is also caught in a numbers game.

Matusz will most likely end up in the bullpen, especially if a trade of a bullpen arm occurs.

When it is all said and done, I think MacFarland gets the first start in the #5 spot, but remember, we can skip that spot the second time through because of off-days, so why not keep MacFarland to make the start and work out of the bullpen to get an "extended look." We can always end it in mid-April and call up someone else to fill the 5th starter role. Or, if someone is hurt in the bullpen, just slide MacFarland into that role. One of the things I liked about Andy MacPhail was that he didn't make a decision until he had to, and I think this scenario is what ends up playing out.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why do they have so many LH SP in camp? When last season did they not have two LHP in the rotation whether it was Saunders, Matusz, Britton or Eveland? I don't have to heart Buck saying anything, I just watch what he does.

I think there's more evidence that Buck has a strong preference for a LH-hitting right fielder. Look at last year, Markakis started off, then he was replaced with Davis, then Flaherty and Endy Chavez, even though the last two couldn't hit at all. Only in the most dire circumstances were a Steve Pearce or a Lew Ford allowed to try to play the position hitting righty. If I were a right-handed hitting OF in the O's system I'd shoot for left or center, at least through 2018.

Chen, Britton, Wada, Jurrjens, McFarland, Matusz.

Jurrjens is right-handed, as I mentioned in my post. And the Orioles have said that Wada won't be ready until May at the earliest. So like I said, four lefties. That's not a lot.

I do think Britton has a good chance at being the #5 starter, but that's because he's arguably the best pitcher of all the candidates, not because he's a lefty.

Let's assume the first four spots are locked in with Hammel, Chen, Gonzalez, and Tillman. Which question do you think Buck is asking himself?

1. "Who's the best candidate for the fifth starter's spot?"

2. "Who's the best left-handed candidate for the fifth starter's spot?"

I can pretty much guarantee he'll be asking question 1 instead of question 2.

Tillman is out of options so its major league team or bust. He is in the rotation. No questions asked..

And I don't understand why people think Gonzo isn't a lock, he went into Yankee Stadium and pitched lights out in the playoffs. Sure, lets send him back to Norfolk.

I'm not even sure how to research this, but I'd really like to know the last time someone made a playoff start and found himself in the minors at the beginning of the next year.

I'm really interested to see what McFarland can do this spring. If he pitches well, I think that Buck and DD will give him a shot to break camp with the club. Being the 5th starter, we could really hide him in the bullpen a lot of the time. I could see something like McFarland and Steve Johnson splitting time between long man in the pen and 5th starter.

Unless they have epic meltdowns this spring or an injury, I can't imagine a rotation without them included. Both pitch well enough for long enough that they are not competing for a job in my mind. As long as there is no drop in stuff, both will be in the 2013 rotation regardless of how well Arrieta or Matusz pitch this spring.

Maybe out of Spring Training, I can agree since we don't want to take ST performance too seriously. But if I take this line of thought into late May early June, I really don't think Buck has a problem sending either guy down if they aren't getting it done.

This has been the track record with Buck and if you look at the last few seasons, its put up or shut up and it doesn't matter what you did last year.

Remember when Arrieta was the opening day starter!? That didn't last.

I don't think it will be that simple.

I believe one of the 4 locks will go down with an injury in spring training... and Arietta and Britton will be the 4/5 starters.

Good golly I don't look for that to happen. Sure it is possible but you don't look for it to

happen. They will be prepared in case it does.

Maybe out of Spring Training, I can agree since we don't want to take ST performance too seriously. But if I take this line of thought into late May early June, I really don't think Buck has a problem sending either guy down if they aren't getting it done.

Sure, that's a whole different story. If it's June and Gonzalez and/or Tillman are sporting 6.50 ERAs they're going to get kicked out of the rotation. But you were suggesting that a mediocre spring could find one of them kicked to the curb for opening day.

Remember when Arrieta was the opening day starter!? That didn't last.

Yea, that only lasted 18 starts and 3+ months.

I'm really interested to see what McFarland can do this spring. If he pitches well, I think that Buck and DD will give him a shot to break camp with the club. Being the 5th starter, we could really hide him in the bullpen a lot of the time. I could see something like McFarland and Steve Johnson splitting time between long man in the pen and 5th starter.

Doubtful both are on the opening day roster unless injuries occur. Bullpen is pretty set at this point, actually it's like 8 guys for 7 spots.

Jurrjens is right-handed, as I mentioned in my post. And the Orioles have said that Wada won't be ready until May at the earliest. So like I said, four lefties. That's not a lot.

I do think Britton has a good chance at being the #5 starter, but that's because he's arguably the best pitcher of all the candidates, not because he's a lefty.

Let's assume the first four spots are locked in with Hammel, Chen, Gonzalez, and Tillman. Which question do you think Buck is asking himself?

1. "Who's the best candidate for the fifth starter's spot?"

2. "Who's the best left-handed candidate for the fifth starter's spot?"

I can pretty much guarantee he'll be asking question 1 instead of question 2.

And I'm pretty sure the answer to question # 1 will be a left hander. Of course it will be the best pitcher, but if it's a close call I think it goes to the left haner, especially if he is out of options.

Archived