Duquette says he was hoping to have JairJurrgens signed Thursday (Minor League Deal Signed)

Greg

Well, considering its Boras and the deal has materialized as a MiL deal then his knee problems must be pretty bad. I'm glad to see the O's are still taking risks but considering the money they're giving this guy and if his knee is really that far gone, why even bother?

Even so, its still pretty exciting to think of our depth consisting of 3 of the O's former top prospects that most us still have high hopes for, a previous all-star on a MiL deal, a couple current top prospects, and a handful of overachieving minor league pitchers raking up a track record despite the low expectations. There may not be a #1 (hell, even a #2) pitcher on the staff but this is an example of terrific depth if I've ever seen it.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, considering its Boras and the deal has materialized as a MiL deal then his knee problems must be pretty bad. I'm glad to see the O's are still taking risks but considering the money they're giving this guy and if his knee is really that far gone, why even bother?

Even so, its still pretty exciting to think of our depth consisting of 3 of the O's former top prospects that most us still have high hopes for, a previous all-star on a MiL deal, a couple current top prospects, and a handful of overachieving minor league pitchers raking up a track record despite the low expectations. There may not be a #1 (hell, even a #2) pitcher on the staff but this is an example of terrific depth if I've ever seen it.

We don't know the money amount for his contract. I doubt it is anywhere close to the $1.5M that was originally agreed too.

We don't know the money amount for his contract. I doubt it is anywhere close to the $1.5M that was originally agreed too.

My guess is it'll be incentive laden, sort of like Justin Duchscherer:

Justin Duchscherer has finalized a one-year contract with the Baltimore Orioles that guarantees the right-hander $700,000 and allows him to earn up to $4.5 million.

Duchscherer

The 33-year-old missed the entire 2009 season because of an elbow injury and clinical depression. He pitched in only five games with the Oakland Athletics last April before undergoing surgery on his left hip.

He is 33-25 with a 3.13 ERA over eight seasons with the Texas Rangers and A's.

Duchscherer's base salary would escalate to $1.1 million under Friday's agreement if he's on the 25-man active roster once the season begins.

He can earn an additional $3.4 million in performance bonuses based on starts: $250,000 for 10; $300,000 each for 13 and 16; $350,000 for 18; $400,000 apiece for 20, 22 and 25; and $500,000 each for 28 and 30.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6090843

I can't remember, was his contact a MiL deal?

My guess is it'll be incentive laden, sort of like Justin Duchscherer:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6090843

I can't remember, was his contact a MiL deal?

Duchscherer had a major league deal. Spent the whole season on the 60 Day DL.

JJ3 has 4.142 year of service time, so there is also a small chance that if he wasn't brought up until September, they could conceivably hold onto him for 3 years.

I'm somewhat excited about the Jair Jurrjens signing. IF his knee holds up, and IF he can stay healthy and regain his pre-2010 form, or even duplicate his 2011 numbers, the Orioles will have again struck gold in the baseball bargain bin. Big "IF's", know, but well within the realm of possibility.

I'd like to know more about the opt-out. If he can opt out if not added to the 40 by the start of the season then I'm not too happy about it, but if its a mid-season type of deal then I'm okay with it.

I don't think that would be the opt out. He would need to prove himself healthy, more likely it would be a date mid season, maybe July 1st.

• 1 month later...

Archived