Emerald Bowl Prediction Thread: Terps vs. Oregon State

OregonBird

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, I can see this happening. I can see all of us in some game thread asking ourselves "how the heck could Fridge be calling this kind of vanilla game w/over a month to plan?" Then, in the same thread, saying "thank god they hired Franklin to come back."

I've seen OSU play just about every week and simply running the ball off tackle with Ball and Lattimore isn't going to work. Fridge is really going to have to mix it up between pass/run, some option, some misdirection.

I hate to quote myself but I kind of saw it coming.

The offense tonight was downright putrid after the first quarter as Fridge crawled into his shell. I'm glad Franklin is coming in to rescue this offense b/c I can't take another year of Fridge calling plays. Sadly I think the art of playcalling has passed him by b/c 14 points won't win many division 1 football games.

Tonight wasn't on Cosh really as the offense kept going 3 and out. Those guys were on the field most of the game. However, good teams will have squads that "man up" when the other side (defense or offense) isn't pulling their weight that game. It happens. To give up 290 yards rushing is inexcusable, most of which was to a guy who was out for awhile due to surgery and had his knee drained the night before. Bernard is a good back but even he can be schemed against. Not only that, the same 2 plays (Fly sweep and another) killed us ALL NIGHT. All they were doing was running, yet Cosh still wouldn't load the box.

Next year will be better but I'm not expecting 10-2 by any means, probably 8-4. I truly believe Cosh is an average DC at this level. Franklin will help immensely on offense but I don't as much talent there as others do. Having Portis will be nice but I think his inexperience and erratic arm will overshadow the plays he makes w/his legs. I'm seeing Ronald Curry when he was w/Carolina, a dangerous QB but not a good QB.

I hate to quote myself but I kind of saw it coming.

The offense tonight was downright putrid after the first quarter as Fridge crawled into his shell. I'm glad Franklin is coming in to rescue this offense b/c I can't take another year of Fridge calling plays. Sadly I think the art of playcalling has passed him by b/c 14 points won't win many division 1 football games.

Tonight wasn't on Cosh really as the offense kept going 3 and out. Those guys were on the field most of the game. However, good teams will have squads that "man up" when the other side (defense or offense) isn't pulling their weight that game. It happens. To give up 290 yards rushing is inexcusable, most of which was to a guy who was out for awhile due to surgery and had his knee drained the night before. Bernard is a good back but even he can be schemed against. Not only that, the same 2 plays (Fly sweep and another) killed us ALL NIGHT. All they were doing was running, yet Cosh still wouldn't load the box.

Next year will be better but I'm not expecting 10-2 by any means, probably 8-4. I truly believe Cosh is an average DC at this level. Franklin will help immensely on offense but I don't as much talent there as others do. Having Portis will be nice but I think his inexperience and erratic arm will overshadow the plays he makes w/his legs. I'm seeing Ronald Curry when he was w/Carolina, a dangerous QB but not a good QB.

Great recap of the game here. I thought Maryland made a decent showing for the most part, although I completely agree about being glad that Friedgen has passed on the o-coord duties. I thought Turner had a pretty game overall but the wide receivers dropped a lot of passes. Not sure what was up with the non existent running plays either.

The defense played well up until the second half when they forgot how to defend against the run. That fly sweep the freshman kept running looked like a pee-wee football play. I couldn't believe a D-I college football program couldn't figure out how to contain that.

Overall it was a disappointing year for the Terps but I hope they have enough youth to be better next year.

That was an incredibly frustrating way to lose. The defense made some key plays and OSU was playing real sloppy, we definitely should have won the game but the offense just disappeared after going up 14-7. OSU took away the run, but we should have been able to score through the air more. I thought Turner played well but there were a lot of drops by the receivers.

All in all the better team won and we were just lucky to get into a bowl game. The game was a microcosm of the season, up and down the whole way, no consistency. Why they let .500 teams into bowl games, I'll never know.

If OrSU had a healthy QB, they could have hung 30+ on us. Instead they chose to beat us w/the same 2 plays and a RB who just had arthroscopic knee surgery 1 month ago.

Wow. That game was a joke. I know none of this had a huge effect on the game, but...

* The fact that both teams were on the same sideline was a joke. Ended up being a big disadavantage for Maryland when OSU was threating at the left endzone.

* The OSU players had to form a human wall to make sure that the Terps players and coaches couldn't see their signals.

*The left endzone was 2 feet away from the wall, and was compased of 1/2 grass and 1/2 turf.

*The refs forgot to call out the time on the play clock when it inexplicably went out.

*It was in a baseball stadium, and because if its location, was essentially a home game for OSU.

Sure, none of these things really had an impact on the game, but they all just made the game feel so forced. How can you take the game as seriously as possible when the situation is a joke? It took away from the "sprit" of the game. It just really bugged me for some reason. Anyone else feel that way or am I just crazy here?

Wow. That game was a joke. I know none of this had a huge effect on the game, but...

* The fact that both teams were on the same sideline was a joke. Ended up being a big disadavantage for Maryland when OSU was threating at the left endzone.

* The OSU players had to form a human wall to make sure that the Terps players and coaches couldn't see their signals.

*The left endzone was 2 feet away from the wall, and was compased of 1/2 grass and 1/2 turf.

*The refs forgot to call out the time on the play clock when it inexplicably went out.

*It was in a baseball stadium, and because if its location, was essentially a home game for OSU.

Sure, none of these things really had an impact on the game, but they all just made the game feel so forced. How can you take the game as seriously as possible when the situation is a joke? It took away from the "sprit" of the game. It just really bugged me for some reason. Anyone else feel that way or am I just crazy here?

Having attended the game in person, I can atest to how odd it seemed having both teams sharing a sideline. And a lot of us in the Maryland section were grousing over that one delay of game penalty the Terps got when the play clock was out. But this is what you kind of have to expect in a lower tier bowl game like this. Why they choose to play the game in AT&T Park instead of Candlestick I don't know.....but if I had to guess it would probably be the fact that AT&T is downtown and is much more convenient for the fans who travel there and choose to spend time visiting the city's other attractions, whereas Candlestick is south of the city and doesn't have much to offer close by. Overall, the game's location in a top tourist city is probably the one thing the Emerald Bowl has going for it and was definitely the highlight of the trip for me.

Having attended the game in person' date=' I can atest to how odd it seemed having both teams sharing a sideline. And a lot of us in the Maryland section were grousing over that one delay of game penalty the Terps got when the play clock was out. But this is what you kind of have to expect in a lower tier bowl game like this. Why they choose to play the game in AT&T Park instead of Candlestick I don't know.....but if I had to guess it would probably be the fact that AT&T is downtown and is much more convenient for the fans who travel there and choose to spend time visiting the city's other attractions, whereas Candlestick is south of the city and doesn't have much to offer close by. Overall, the game's location in a top tourist city is probably the one thing the Emerald Bowl has going for it and was definitely the highlight of the trip for me.[/quote']

It wasn't the fact that they played it in a baseball stadium that really bugged me. It was the fact that they played it in that baseball stadium where everything seemed so forced.

I was also really disappointed in how MD, and OSU for that matter, played. It was one of the sloppiest, worst offensive, 2nd halves I have ever seen.

Archived