Orioles dropping Hardy from the 2 spot?

Norfolk orioles

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think they are concerned Nolan may be overdoing it because he feels forgotten and that he something to prove.

What does "overdoing it" mean.

Playing baseball?? because so far he hasn't and as far as I know he is the only guy on the 25 man roster not to get and intra squad AB

I know in the big scheme of things lineup construction doesn't make much difference, but I just love putting together optimal lineups:

Versus Left-Handed Starting Pitchers

2B Roberts

RF Markakis

CF Jones

1B Davis

LF Reimold

C Wieters

SS Hardy

DH Valencia

3B Machado

Versus Right-Handed Pitchers

2B Roberts

RF Markakis

CF Jones

1B Davis

LF Reimold

DH Betemit

C Wieters

SS Hardy

3B Machado

If Roberts is stinking up the joint, Casilla should hit #9, and McLouth should get more playing time against RHers (leading off).

Kakes should be #2 just because he's not particularly a good base stealer.

If Reimold picks up where he left off when he was injured last year, he's penciled in as my #3 with Jones back in the #4 spot.

McLouth #1 and Roberts #9 would be my positions for them unless Roberts has a stellar spring training.

I agree McLouth is my lead off as long as he hits .270 ish with a good amount of walks.

I know in the big scheme of things lineup construction doesn't make much difference, but I just love putting together optimal lineups:

Versus Left-Handed Starting Pitchers

2B Roberts

RF Markakis

CF Jones

1B Davis

LF Reimold

C Wieters

SS Hardy

DH Valencia

3B Machado

Versus Right-Handed Pitchers

2B Roberts

RF Markakis

CF Jones

1B Davis

LF Reimold

DH Betemit

C Wieters

SS Hardy

3B Machado

If Roberts is stinking up the joint, Casilla should hit #9, and McLouth should get more playing time against RHers (leading off).

I'm not saying I'm right with McLouth ....But I'm not counting on B-Rob for squat ...even if he does play nothing he's done over the pas couple of seasons says he's more than a .220 hitter.

I actually prefer having Kakes at leadoff and McClouth at #2 (at least against RHPs) as opposed to the other way around because McClouth's speed component could be helpful to Jones/Davis behind him. I haven't confirmed this in stats, but I think he'd be less likely to hit into DPs and more likely to steal a base, meaning Jones gets up with the pitcher out of the stretch and throwing to first more if McClouth's hitting second. This holds true for Jones as #3 and Davis as #4 as well. Though not frequent SB threats, neither will clog the bases and both will at least garner a look from the SP. Part of me wants a healthy Reimold in front of Wieters for this reason too.

I'm not saying I'm right with McLouth ....But I'm not counting on B-Rob for squat ...even if he does play nothing he's done over the pas couple of seasons says he's more than a .220 hitter.

I'm operating under the assumption that BRob will be so unimpressive in Spring Training that the O's end up buying him out. Maybe that's extreme, but my expectations are very low, particularly defensively where I think he'll be terrible. I think he'll get a lot of spring innings to get back up to speed, and if he does I'll be very happy for him and us, but the expectations are less for Roberts than I have for Reimold.

Some people have Wieters batting before Jones. Why would you want to turn Jones into a station to station runner when Wieters gets on base? Jones would pass Wieters on the basepaths. That is why Jones should be third. Then I like the lefty Davis fourth and switch hitter Wieters fifth.

Markakis (Forget the steals. He is our best OBP guy and does hit many doubles)

McClouth LF/Reimold LF

Jones

Davis

Wieters

Reimold DH/ Betemit DH

Machado

Hardy

Roberts/Casilla/Flaherty

I like it.

If you replace Hardy with Roberts at the top of the lineup, are you really gaining anything? Ideally, both should be hitting near the bottom of the order.
You think Roberts OBP will be in Hardy's neighborhood? I don't. Roberts was a good disciplined hitter who saw a lot of pitches and got his share of walks. Like Abreu, that doesn't disappear with a drop in power. What reason is there for putting someone at the top of the order other than OBP?

We do have alot of options for leadoff this season for a change. I think we will see Roberts, Markakis, Reimold and McLouth all at lead off at one time or the other. I also think Buck will be doing more with matchups this year with Reimold/McLouth, Roberts/Casilla/Flaherty, Reimold/Betemit/Valencia/Canzler.

Archived