Orioles dropping Hardy from the 2 spot?

Norfolk orioles

You think Roberts OBP will be in Hardy's neighborhood? I don't.

Yes, unfortunately I do. Hardy's OBP was .282 last year, and I don't see Roberts being much or any better than that. Last year (in a small sample size), Roberts's OBP was .233. If you want to throw that out and go back to 2011, it was .273. You have to go back three years to find a respectable OBP from Roberts, but he has suffered about 3-4 different injuries since then and is now 35 years old.

Roberts was a good disciplined hitter who saw a lot of pitches and got his share of walks.

Key word: "was." I think it's a mistake to assume Roberts will return to the player he used to be. I would at least stash him at the bottom of the lineup until he proves he can get on base consistently.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, unfortunately I do. Hardy's OBP was .282 last year, and I don't see Roberts being much or any better than that. Last year (in a small sample size), Roberts's OBP was .233. If you want to throw that out and go back to 2011, it was .273. You have to go back three years to find a respectable OBP from Roberts, but he has suffered about 3-4 different injuries since then and is now 35 years old.

Key word: "was." I think it's a mistake to assume Roberts will return to the player he used to be. I would at least stash him at the bottom of the lineup until he proves he can get on base consistently.

If Roberts can't do better than Hardy's OBP last year I wouldn't even stash him on the bench. He has no value unless he is getting on base. We aren't playing him for his glove. I don't think you can appraise Roberts potential for OBP based on SSS injury ridden PA. ST will tell pretty clearly what Roberts has left IMO and if Buck starts him OD, it won't be because he's being sentimental.

If Roberts can't do better than Hardy's OBP last year I wouldn't even stash him on the bench. He has no value unless he is getting on base. We aren't playing him for his glove. I don't think you can appraise Roberts potential for OBP based on SSS injury ridden PA. ST will tell pretty clearly what Roberts has left IMO and if Buck starts him OD, it won't be because he's being sentimental.

Jake Fox's seven spring training home runs sure were telling.

Jake Fox's seven spring training home runs sure were telling.

I think everyone knew Jake Fox's capabilities long before he hit 7 home runs in ST. I think there's a big difference in determining if a guy like Roberts is going to be an asset to the team in ST than a guy with a fluke streak.

Only if one is stupid enough to look at numbers for ST evaluations. Fortunately Buck isn't stupid.As I recall Buck wasn't overly impressed with Fox' ST HR count.

The point is ST performance is not necessarily indicative of actual performance. I do not think it is a guarantee that ST will give all the information needed about Roberts' future.

The point is ST performance is not necessarily indicative of actual performance. I do not think it is a guarantee that ST will give all the information needed about Roberts' future.
I don't think you give this word the same meaning Buck does. And why could you, you can't watch them play. It's more important how Roberts looks at the plate and the quality of his AB, bat speed etc, than any results he gets good or bad. Loss of bat speed holes in his swing, etc, will be clear in ST. If he isn't able to make adjustments, that will also be clear.

I don't think you give this word the same meaning Buck does. And why could you, you can't watch them play. It's more important how Roberts looks at the plate and the quality of his AB, bat speed etc, than any results he gets good or bad. Loss of bat speed holes in his swing, etc, will be clear in ST. If he isn't able to make adjustments, that will also be clear.

I understand all of that and ST can give valuable information. I do think that the regular season is a different animal and that performance in ST will paint an incomplete picture.

I understand all of that and ST can give valuable information. I do think that the regular season is a different animal and that performance in ST will paint an incomplete picture.
ST will provide enough information to decide whether to continue the Roberts project or not. If he is done, as most seem to think, that should be pretty clear before OD. I would say he has to look like he can do better than Casilla with the bat for them to stick with him. Other wise what's the point? The 10M is a sunk cost.

Markakis had a 390 OBP in the leadoff spot last year. Who else on the team has done that? Get that guy as many at bats as possible in the the leadoff spot.

I would love if Markakis could duplicate that 390 OBP, but I will be happy with Markakis leading off if he has a 370 OBP. I would want our best OBP guy leading off and I don't think anyone else will match Markakis. Mclouth is most likely going to be a 330-340 OBP guy with a possible higher ceiling, but I can't see him better than Markakis.

I think that the main thing Brian Roberts can and has to prove during ST is that he's healthy and able to play everyday. If he proves those two things, he'll start the season as the primary 2nd baseman. Then he'll get time to prove whether he's up to the task of being a quality ML player. Now, how much time Buck gives him if he struggles early, I have no idea. It may prove to be more than I'd like, but it won't be indefinite. And, Duquette has provided plenty of plan B, C, D, etc. with Casilla, Navarro, Flaherty, Schoop...

How many runs do you think that will cost the team over the course of a season? I am guessing somewhere between zero and three. Jones isn't much of a basestealing threat and I think Wieters can get from first to third on a double.

I think it occurs more often than you think. Wieters isn't just slow, he is very slow.

1. Wieters on first, Gapper to right-center. Wieters gets to third with Jones getting to 2nd. That works, but if the ball is hit to left-center or down the left field line, a better runner gets to third with Jones going to second. With Wieters on first, he is more likely to get held at second on that hit to left.

2. Wieters on second base and Jones on first. Groundball between 1st and 2nd. Wieters with his lack of speed gets held at 3rd, keeping Jones at 2nd. Instead of a runner in and runners on first and third, we have bases loaded.

Archived