Before the book is completely closed on Mark Reynolds

Believer

I've read/heard several interviews with Oriole players who answer with confidence that we have not lost anyone from last year. They say it with enthusiasm; they often cite clubhouse chemistry; they spin the value of keeping the team in tact as a response to the inactivity question.

Every time I hear them say that we didn't "lose" anyone, I think of Mark Reynolds. I will "remember" Reynolds as a pretty significant part of last year's team - at least in the 2nd half. His defense at 1B solidified a shaky infield. It seemed like the team rallied off of his competitive fire (diving into the stands, calling out an ump...). His hot streak late in the season carried the team at a pretty important time.

My question is this... how do you think the players truly feel about losing Mark Reynolds? Is it possible that he wasn't a clubhouse fit? Is losing a guy like Reynolds just part of the business side of the game? Are they quietly disappointed, but otherwise trust Buck and Dan so they'll give it a pass?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are lots of different players on the team, and I'm sure their opinions are not unanimous. When they say the Orioles didn't lose anyone, to me they are talking in relative terms compared to other teams. When 22 of 25 players on your playoff roster are still with the organization the following spring, that is pretty much "not losing anyone." No disrespect to Reynolds, or Andino, or Saunders. You don't see many teams with turnover that low.

My guess is they see what we see. A full year of Machado, Reimold being healthy, and some help from a righthanded DH to pair with Betemit gives them the feel that they can cover for Reynolds loss. The real key is the core players like Markakis, Jones, Davis, Wieters and Hardy. That is the heart of the position players.

Everything I have read says that Reynolds was well liked in the clubhouse. I think the guys are well in tune with the business of baseball. I think they trust Buck.

I still think the O's add a bat at the trade deadline. They will need that to get far into the playoffs.

When 22 of 25 players on your playoff roster are still with the organization the following spring, that is pretty much "not losing anyone." No disrespect to Reynolds, or Andino, or Saunders. You don't see many teams with turnover that low.

True. And, when you have decent internal alternatives to each of those players, you probably feel pretty good about the situation. They probably believe that Davis is a good replacement for Reynolds; that between Roberts, Casilla, Flaherty and Navarro, they have options for replacing Andino; and they have starting pitching out the wazoo, with the first four spots in the rotation pretty much set and lots of quality arms competing for the fifth. And they have two of the best pitching prospects in baseball reaching the top levels of the minor league system, as well. Finally, they've also seen that DD will remain active and provide alternatives and opportunities for players, should the need arise.

The loss of those players is a blip on the radar screen.

Everything I have read says that Reynolds was well liked in the clubhouse. I think the guys are well in tune with the business of baseball. I think they trust Buck.

I think they are also well acquainted with the sport of baseball, and the fact that it is intertwined with the business. And if you don't play particularly well for long stretches it becomes untenable to pay you large sums of money to stay on the team. Of all teams, the Orioles are among the best acquainted with the turnover associated with not performing up to expectations. The difference today is there is less of that then in the recent past.

There are lots of different players on the team, and I'm sure their opinions are not unanimous. When they say the Orioles didn't lose anyone, to me they are talking in relative terms compared to other teams. When 22 of 25 players on your playoff roster are still with the organization the following spring, that is pretty much "not losing anyone." No disrespect to Reynolds, or Andino, or Saunders. You don't see many teams with turnover that low.

This is where I am too. I sensed that he was truly liked and that he helped fuel the competitve approach that the team took to each game last year. There are a couple guys that wear that competitiveness outwardly - he was one of them.

I've read/heard several interviews with Oriole players who answer with confidence that we have not lost anyone from last year. They say it with enthusiasm; they often cite clubhouse chemistry; they spin the value of keeping the team in tact as a response to the inactivity question.

Every time I hear them say that we didn't "lose" anyone, I think of Mark Reynolds. I will "remember" Reynolds as a pretty significant part of last year's team - at least in the 2nd half. His defense at 1B solidified a shaky infield. It seemed like the team rallied off of his competitive fire (diving into the stands, calling out an ump...). His hot streak late in the season carried the team at a pretty important time.

My question is this... how do you think the players truly feel about losing Mark Reynolds? Is it possible that he wasn't a clubhouse fit? Is losing a guy like Reynolds just part of the business side of the game? Are they quietly disappointed, but otherwise trust Buck and Dan so they'll give it a pass?

They know it is a business. They trust themselves, DD and Buck. I don't believe the team is really missing Reyn

They know it is a business.

They also know it's a sport, and one where every team is ruthlessly trying to beat the other teams. And they know from their earliest days on Babe Ruth teams and travel teams and high school teams that it doesn't take the influence of money to have their best buddy get cut from the squad.

Hardy is the guy who will most miss Reynolds, every time Davis drops a throw or doesn't come up with a scoop. Hardy gave Reynolds a lot of credit for assisting him winning the gold glove. I fear that the infield defense is going to take a big hit with Davis at first, and I don't see Reimold replacing Reynolds offense. Duquette handled the Reynolds situation poorly.

This is where I am too. I sensed that he was truly liked, and that he helped fuel the competitive approach that the team took to each game last year. There are a couple guys that wear that competitiveness outwardly - he was one of them.

I agree, and I immediately thought of this incident.

VIDEO:O http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=23974139

REYNOLDS' WORDS:O http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-mark-reynolds-unplugged-orioles-first-baseman-rips-umpires-after-reversed-call-20120817,0,192180.story

Hardy is the guy who will most miss Reynolds, every time Davis drops a throw or doesn't come up with a scoop. Hardy gave Reynolds a lot of credit for assisting him winning the gold glove. I fear that the infield defense is going to take a big hit with Davis at first, and I don't see Reimold replacing Reynolds offense. Duquette handled the Reynolds situation poorly.

You don't see Reimold batting greater than .221 and hitting more than 23 HR in 500+ PAs??

The numbers speak for themselves. The whole Reynolds thing has been beaten into the ground numerous times on this board. Sometimes tough decisions need to be made, to improve the club, and Duquette handled the Reynolds situation exactly the way he intended. He felt he had a better (offensively and defensively) and cheaper option in Davis - case closed.

How soon we forget. Just about everyone on this board was ready to run Reynolds out of town at the A.S. break last year. Many suggesting outright release.

You don't see Reimold batting greater than .221 and hitting more than 23 HR in 500+ PAs??

I think the odds are stacked against Reimold getting 500+ PAs. We can't even be sure if he'll get 200+ PAs. So, yes, it's easy to imagine that Reimold won't be able to replace Reynolds, if for no other reason than Reimold has trouble staying on the field.

The numbers speak for themselves. The whole Reynolds thing has been beaten into the ground numerous times on this board. Sometimes tough decisions need to be made, to improve the club, and Duquette handled the Reynolds situation exactly the way he intended. He felt he had a better (offensively and defensively) and cheaper option in Davis - case closed.

How soon we forget. Just about everyone on this board was ready to run Reynolds out of town at the A.S. break last year. Many suggesting outright release.

I think the odds are stacked against Reimold getting 500+ PAs. We can't even be sure if he'll get 200+ PAs. So, yes, it's easy to imagine that Reimold won't be able to replace Reynolds, if for no other reason than Reimold has trouble staying on the field.

Yes, I think that's the issue. Can Reimold stay healthy, and does a year of inactivity and any lingering effect of the surgery impair his level of play? The answers to these questions are far from certain.

Well, I disagree. I think Nolan will be a candidate for Comeback Player of the Year Award this year. I envision him starting slow but getting red hot as we get into June/July. I'm no doctor but his doctor is and he gave him a "full go".

Archived