Before the book is completely closed on Mark Reynolds

Believer

Laughable that Chris Davis is a better 1b. Did you watch the games Davis played in the field last year? He dropped a perfect strike from Hardy or one of the other infielders in Chicago. Sorry you're in the big leagues. That should NEVER happen. He also had about as many errors as Reynolds at 1b in about 60 less games.

Not going to argue that Davis had issues at first base last year, but career-wise Davis has a better FP% (appears to be your metric of choice here). So, based on career numbers, why do you think what happend last year is indicative of what's going to happen going forward?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Laughable that Chris Davis is a better 1b. Did you watch the games Davis played in the field last year? He dropped a perfect strike from Hardy or one of the other infielders in Chicago. Sorry you're in the big leagues. That should NEVER happen. He also had about as many errors as Reynolds at 1b in about 60 less games.
In 2092 IN at 1B Davis has 10 E including 4 dropped balls, over 5 seasons. In 1575 IN at 1B Reynolds has 16 E including 4 dropped balls, over 5 seasons.

Great idea to make a judgment on one play.

In 2092 IN at 1B Davis has 10 E including 4 dropped balls, over 5 seasons. In 1575 IN at 1B Reynolds has 16 E including 4 dropped balls, over 5 seasons.

Get out of here with your facts!!! I am so tired of people coming in here with statistics and cited information when we have anecdotes to rely on instead.

Not going to argue that Davis had issues at first base last year, but career-wise Davis has a better FP% (appears to be your metric of choice here). So, based on career numbers, why do you think what happend last year is indicative of what's going to happen going forward?
Davis' problem is that of the 4 dropped balls in his entire career at 1B, 3 happend last season. His play last season was a snapshot. It would be like watching Brooks Robinson play in the game he had 3 E in one inning and assuming he was a lousy 3B. Davis has 4 Cch E's 4 Fld E's, 2 Thr E's compared to Reynolds' 4 Cch E's 10 Fld E's and 2 Thr E's, in 500 more innings played at 1B. That's s pretty fair indication of their relative abilities IMO. Davis is less flashy, but steadier with better range.

Did you watch the games Reynolds played at 3B last year? Same difference.

Well folks, I think the book completely closed on Reynolds. Awhile ago. Like when he signed with Cleveland.

I say we start a thread every time he homers with the Tribe. :D

I say we do better than that. Let's petition the F.O. to erect a statue in his honor - right next to Brooks. Afterall, the man is an absolute legend. :)

El Gordo, do the "dropped ball" stats only include dropped throws, or also dropped pop-ups? I recall Reynolds occasionally getting turned around and missing a pop-up. I really can't remember him dropping an accurate throw from an infielder in 2012, which Davis did at least twice last year. I do seem to remember Reynolds dropping a throw from the pitcher or catcher on a slow roller up the 1B line where the play was going to be bang-bang sometimes in the second half of 2011.

Well, I'm a bit biased to the O's current position because I saw Davis play in Texas and he was every bit the equal of Tex defensively, and that was an organizational statement.

His struggles so far here perplex me. But I believe he'll move past them.

Regarding Reynolds, I always though his D at first was way overblown by some here, as he had the particular skill of making the routine appear difficult.

And I don't say that to bash Reynolds. I think it was a mistake to let him go over 6 million dollars. I'd have brought him back.

El Gordo, do the "dropped ball" stats only include dropped throws, or also dropped pop-ups? I recall Reynolds occasionally getting turned around and missing a pop-up. I really can't remember him dropping an accurate throw from an infielder in 2012, which Davis did at least twice last year. I do seem to remember Reynolds dropping a throw from the pitcher or catcher on a slow roller up the 1B line where the play was going to be bang-bang sometimes in the second half of 2011.

I remember Reynolds catching a pop while falling over the rolled up tarp. A play most would not make.

Bottom line: The O's decided they didn't want to pay Reynolds. They wanted someone else they have not acquired. The mythical MOO bat.

Davis will get his chance at 1B and all of us will be watching.

Archived