How about this guy for SS?

NewMarketSean

Everyone acts like the world will end if Hernandez starts at SS next year. The team is beginning a rebuilding process and I don't understand why people can't accept the fact that all the desired pieces are not going to fall in place next year, or maybe even the following year. Obviously patience is not a virtue on OH.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All the guys mentioned are basically UT guys; they play more 2B,3B, OF than SS, and they don't look to hit all that well either. Essentially they are younger versions of Chris Gomez.

Still better than LH and good to have as depth in AAA if not in Baltimore since we are barren down there at the SS position.

Everyone acts like the world will end if Hernandez starts at SS next year. The team is beginning a rebuilding process and I don't understand why people can't accept the fact that all the desired pieces are not going to fall in place next year, or maybe even the following year. Obviously patience is not a virtue on OH.

But when there are a handful of guys available who are all likely better than LH, going into a season with LH penciled in as SS is a bad decision no matter what the outcome of the season will be.

But when there are a handful of guys available who are all likely better than LH, going into a season with LH penciled in as SS is a bad decision no matter what the outcome of the season will be.

And the bottom line is....we really don't know who will be at SS next year. Everyone is making the assumption it will be LH only because we have yet to acquire another SS. Why all the panic....it's only December?

And the bottom line is....we really don't know who will be at SS next year. Everyone is making the assumption it will be LH only because we have yet to acquire another SS. Why all the panic....it's only December?

It's almost January meaning there is 1.5 months before pitchers and catchers report. There is still time left, but if these deals don't go through, LH could very well be starting at SS.

It's almost January meaning there is 1.5 months before pitchers and catchers report. There is still time left, but if these deals don't go through, LH could very well be starting at SS.

And as I originally stated.....LH at SS this year doesn't mean the end of the world....;)

And as I originally stated.....LH at SS this year doesn't mean the end of the world....;)

...and did Jay Payton in LF mean the end of the world? How about Danys Baez? Or how about Huff/Millar at 1B/DH? Mora's contract?

The fact of the matter is that the Orioles organization needs to stop making stupid moves. Period.

Few would argue that LH is an exceptional defender. Few would argue that he would be hard pressed to put up .550+ OPS. The question is what is the trade off, offense to defense. Is a league average defender who gives you .600 OPS a better solution? Most of these MiL FA's are likely to be little better than league average at SS, and in the vicinity of .650 OPS. Anything better than that and a team would hold on to them, unless they are blocked by a Drew or a Tulo. We should be looking for MiL FA SS from teams that are deap at SS at least.

Yes, there are dozens upon dozens of guys like LH.

Just a little bump, because I don't want to miss out on learning about all the guys who have as good a glove, a way-better bat, and who are dirt cheap. Since there's supposedly dozens of them, I'm surprised this thread isn't several pages long by now ;-)

Few would argue that LH is an exceptional defender. Few would argue that he would be hard pressed to put up .550+ OPS. The question is what is the trade off, offense to defense. Is a league average defender who gives you .600 OPS a better solution? Most of these MiL FA's are likely to be little better than league average at SS, and in the vicinity of .650 OPS. Anything better than that and a team would hold on to them, unless they are blocked by a Drew or a Tulo. We should be looking for MiL FA SS from teams that are deap at SS at least.
I'll say that a league average defender with a .650 OPS would be better than Hernandez. I don't know if thats exactly true, but I'd take just about anybody who can field the position adequately with a .650 OPS over Hernandez.

I'd look into a Walker for Hu trade, personally.

Just a little bump, because I don't want to miss out on learning about all the guys who have as good a glove, a way-better bat, and who are dirt cheap. Since there's supposedly dozens of them, I'm surprised this thread isn't several pages long by now ;-)

Go the bookstore and buy the more recent prospect handbook...You will see a lot of SS prospects, rated in the lower half of their respective systems who fit this description.

I would venture to say each organization has a few of these players.

Go the bookstore and buy the more recent prospect handbook...You will see a lot of SS prospects, rated in the lower half of their respective systems who fit this description.

Great answer: I'm supposed to spend money so I can try to prove a 100% bogus point that people such as yourself keep claiming. Silly me, I figure that all the people who "know" these guys are a dime-a-dozen could prolly name, say, a dozen of them. Funny how you can't back it up. Fat chance of that, it's just another empty bandwagon issue. All we have so far is just a few older UT guys with worse D and not-much-more bat. Not that I expect you to back up your claims, I know better than that.

I'd say there is a general tendency to under value defense because it is team dependent and difficult to measure. I think it is interestting that so called professionals like DT seem to give it more value than the real experts here at the OH.

From Baseball America as of Nov 2nd 2007 the following are the listed MiL free agent shortstops:

Matt Erickson, Ronnie Merrill, Tony Granadillo, Ed Rogers, John Nelson, Victor Mercedes, Kenny Perez, Tomas Perez, Luis Sierra, Jeff Bannon, Caonabo Cosme, Aaron Herr, Anderson Machado, Rodney Choy Foo, Anthony Medrano, Mike Rouse, Tim Olson, Henry Mateo, John Labandeira, John Raburn, Eric Riggs, Rex Rundgren, Osvaldo Fernando, Danny Klassen, Andres Blanco, Jose Santos, Derek Wathan, Gary Patchett, Chris Barnwell, Gil Velazquez, Jason Alfaro, Wilson Batista, Mark Kiger, Andy Cannizaro, Angel Chavez, Antonio Perez, Francisco Tirado, Vince Faison, Luis Perez, Jorge Piedra, Jose Pineda, Gookie Dawkins, Danny Sandoval, Brandon Chaves, Javier Guzman, Jose Hernandez, Rico Washington, Luis Cruz, Jon Schemmel, Tomas de la Rosa, Ivan Ochoa, Jesus Guzman, Jesus Merchan, Dave Matranga, Manny Mayorson, Manny Alexander, Melvin Dorta, Felix Fermin, Marcos Yepez

One of these guys has to have more upside than what we are looking at now!!

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=644

Archived