Orioles Top 15 Prospects from Scout.com

orioole28

I'm aware that those ERAs are high (and so don't need the lecture.) But they're averages. I didn't mean that he would pitch like a league-average #4 or #5 (and I'd like to see something other than an "average" of those numbers - teams can fall apart on the back end of a rotation with a patchwork of guys who aren't ML starters, distorting numbers. I think looking at pitchers who pitched 100 innings is low, and distorts your averages. If we look at 150 innings+ I think those numbers likely normalize.)

Rather, I'm looking at how I figure a #4 on a good team is likely to perform: an ERA between 4.50 and 5.00 - which is where I expect Loewen to be.

As for Guthrie, an ERA over 5 would not surprise me in the least. I don't think number #5 starters who are #5s all year (as opposed to call-ups, swingmen, etc.) are quite that high. But Guthrie at a 5.25 or so? Sure. I can see that.

But - as someone as nuanced as you are in your arguments should understand - I didn't say it was likely that they'd perform that way. I said it is more likely they perform that way than that they perform like #1-2. Yes, however, I do think it MORE likely that Guthrie puts up a 5+ ERA than that he pitches to a 3.75 ERA for the year.

Feel free to disagree. But if you want to question my analysis at least do it on the basis of what I actually said.

In Loewen's case, I definitely agree with you. In Guthrie's case I'm not so sure. I don't expect a 3.75 ERA from him, but I don't expect 5.25 either. I've seen third-party projections in the 4.30-4.60 range and that's my best guess as to where he'll be. If I had to pick between 3.75 and 5.25, I'd pick the lower figure, but maybe that's just the optimist in me.

And I did not mean to distort what you were saying. But now you've dialed it back a bit. Before you said it was "far more likely" that Guthrie would pitch like a no. 5.

And yet in this mix Hayden Penn fails to even get a mention! Has his star really fallen that far? I think he will come back and dominate AAA hitters again this year. They need to just let him there for a bit and get his swagger back.

I believe Penn isn't consider a prospect because he has exceeded the number of innings pitched in the ML.

It's interesting to see they are still high on Snyder, but not that favorable on Rowell. And Beato before Erbe?? Where is Olson?

Olson's not in the to 10.

I think people forget how good Snyder was in short season after he was draft - league top prospect.

I think Rowell may lose a bit of his luster if he has to move to 1B and BA has consistently hinted that there are doubts he can stick at 3B.

In Loewen's case, I definitely agree with you. In Guthrie's case I'm not so sure. I don't expect a 3.75 ERA from him, but I don't expect 5.25 either. I've seen third-party projections in the 4.30-4.60 range and that's my best guess as to where he'll be. If I had to pick between 3.75 and 5.25, I'd pick the lower figure, but maybe that's just the optimist in me.

And I did not mean to distort what you were saying. But now you've dialed it back a bit. Before you said it was "far more likely" that Guthrie would pitch like a no. 5.

Ah. So - wait - you pervert my comment to say something it doesn't...but somehow that pales in importance to the idea that I'm "dialing it back" because I simply left out a modifier I used before? That's pretty absurd.

First, one isn't related to the other. You changed my comment and then present problematic statistics - essentially in rebuttal to an argument that hadn't been made. You casually glide over that, of course, to make it seem as if I've been disingenuous.

But I haven't. Which is my second point: there was no "dialing" intended - I DO think it far more likely that Guthrie puts up an ERA over 5.00 than an ERA of under 4.00 if he pitches a complete season.

Wait - am I changing my argument because I included "a complete season"? Because I round off to whole numbers? I don't think I am. The point remains the same. And the fact that I left the word "far" out of the second post is irrelevant - it's not as if there's some agreed upon measure of "likely" versus "far more likely." I guess it depends on what you feel is probabilistically significant.

But, just to be safe, I'll make sure I use perfectly parallel construction from here on out. Didn't realize we were so formalist in these parts.

[Edited to note: I'm really just arguing this tongue-in-cheek. Just fooling around. Sorry if it came off as shrill.]

Ah. So - wait - you pervert my comment to say something it doesn't...but somehow that pales in importance to the idea that I'm "dialing it back" because I simply left out a modifier I used before? That's pretty absurd.

First, one isn't related to the other. You changed my comment and then present problematic statistics - essentially in rebuttal to an argument that hadn't been made. You casually glide over that, of course, to make it seem as if I've been disingenuous.

But I haven't. Which is my second point: there was no "dialing" intended - I DO think it far more likely that Guthrie puts up an ERA over 5.00 than an ERA of under 4.00 if he pitches a complete season.

Wait - am I changing my argument because I included "a complete season"? Because I round off to whole numbers? I don't think I am. The point remains the same. And the fact that I left the word "far" out of the second post is irrelevant - it's not as if there's some agreed upon measure of "likely" versus "far more likely." I guess it depends on what you feel is probabilistically significant.

But, just to be safe, I'll make sure I use perfectly parallel construction from here on out. Didn't realize we were so formalist in these parts.

[Edited to note: I'm really just arguing this tongue-in-cheek. Just fooling around. Sorry if it came off as shrill.]

Sorry if I offended you in some way, it wasn't my intention.

Since they rate Rowell ahead of Snyder, what is the basis for this statement?

Most on here rank Rowell ahead of Reimold and at least 4-6 slots ahead of Snyder, correct? However BA ranks Reimold, Rowell, and Snyder 4-5-6, respectively. Thus they are less excited about Rowell as we are.

Most on here rank Rowell ahead of Reimold and at least 4-6 slots ahead of Snyder, correct? However BA ranks Reimold, Rowell, and Snyder 4-5-6, respectively. Thus they are less excited about Rowell as we are.

Fair enough. I'd be hard pressed to rank Reimold ahead of Rowell personally.

BA also ranked Snyder ahead of Reimold in the season-end prospect list for the Sally League in October.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/features/264942.html

I have trouble seeing it, but...

Archived