O's the club on 30 Clubs in 30 Days tomorrow night, 3/6!

raveoned

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not too surprising, traditionalists love how we find ways to win and have a great clubhouse, while sabermetricians can't get past our poor statistical performances.

My take is that our numbers were unfairly brought down by the middle of our season and injuries. And once we had our final team in place we kicked the crap out of the league, had one of the best records in the league and one of the best expected W/L in the backend of the season. Our team hasn't changed a lot since then, and we should be getting back Reimold, Markakis, and Roberts.

The only thing that worries me is how the Blue Jays look a lot better, and the Red Sox...well they can get only get better from last year.

I saw this last night. Billy was surprisingly optimistic (when he's usually pretty cautious in his observations of his old team, kinda like Cal was during the ALDS last year). He actually picked the O's to win the division. Sean Casey is always looking for votes to maintain his Mayor of MLB status, so he's usually pretty complimentary of the team he's visiting. He's definitely a glass-half-full kinda guy.

Al Leiter wanted to be a wet blanket so badly, but didn't want to be the only one. He gave a pretty non-descript prediction that we'd be "back in the hunt", but you could tell it was half-hearted. I think he's as skeptical of our rotation as anyone else.

Still though, it was more positive than previous years.

Cal was on the game today and brought up that you need to not be bias for your team when broadcasting, he said that he actually over did it and was bias towards the Yankees in an attempt to not be bias for the Os. Glad he addressed that, made me feel better about it.

Cal was on the game today and brought up that you need to not be bias for your team when broadcasting, he said that he actually over did it and was bias towards the Yankees in an attempt to not be bias for the Os. Glad he addressed that, made me feel better about it.

The whole broadcast was kind of awkward for O's fans.... It seemed forced like he had to say positive things about the yanks.

The whole broadcast was kind of awkward for O's fans.... It seemed forced like he had to say positive things about the yanks.

I had been defending him until he started pontificating about grasscutting when Teixeira screwed up that one grounder. After that I started listening to the games on mute... atrocious. That broadcasting Axis of Evil was such a falloff from Thorne/Palmer that it took a lot out of the joy of the playoffs.

I had been defending him until he started pontificating about grasscutting when Teixeira screwed up that one grounder. After that I started listening to the games on mute... atrocious. That broadcasting Axis of Evil was such a falloff from Thorne/Palmer that it took a lot out of the joy of the playoffs.

I agree with everything you said up until you mentioned taking the joy out of the playoffs....no such thing!!!:smile11:

I am still ticked about the Brooks comment.

I am still ticked about the Brooks comment.

I agree completely. Their is no excuse for being very wrong about the best defensive 3b of all time, especially when he plays for your own franchise. Cal spouted BS to make it look like he wasn't a homer at the expense of one of baseballs greatest human beings. Terrible. Inexcusable.

Yes...saying the best defensive 3B of the 21st century is better than the best defensive 3B of the 20th century is just unforgivable. That Ripken fella really irks me. Doesn't he know he's not allowed to have an opinion?

He said in today's broadcast that he "may" have gone too far in avoiding being a homer. He said it "might" have sounded like he was a Yankee fan. My point is that Cal was completely and utterly selfish. He used a comparison to prove he was legit instead of being legit on his own. You don't throw Brooks under the bus to prove you are objective. He should have called the game as he saw it and let the chips fall where they may. I don't believe he ever saw Brooks play in his prime so his opinion is more network fluff and bs anyway.

I'm glad he said something. I was hoping this was the case during the series, because it was really over the top how far out of his way he went to be complimentary of the Yankees. I felt bad for him.

He said in today's broadcast that he "may" have gone too far in avoiding being a homer. He said it "might" have sounded like he was a Yankee fan. My point is that Cal was completely and utterly selfish. He used a comparison to prove he was legit instead of being legit on his own. You don't throw Brooks under the bus to prove you are objective. He should have called the game as he saw it and let the chips fall where they may. I don't believe he ever saw Brooks play in his prime so his opinion is more network fluff and bs anyway.

Wow. Not even Cal Ripken Jr can catch a break on the Hangout. Holy smokes. He's not really a broadcaster by trade, and there he was, thrown into the booth to provide commentary for the O's. I don't blame him a single bit for anything he said, because it would have been worse if he would have just been an O's homer for the whole series. Worse for everyone but O's fans, anyway. It was an awkward situation for him to be in, and I think TBS should have made sure he was calling an NL series, to be honest.

I think you're being pretty unreasonable, actually.

Orioles fans know how important Wieters is to the pitching staff. Even though he's won a gold glove I think the national media overlooks just how important he's been behind the plate for these young pitchers. So it's nice to hear the mlb network give Wieters the attention and respect he's deserved. It's also nice to hear him embracing that leadership role and players behind him following suit, especially this spring with Adam Jones away.

Yes...saying the best defensive 3B of the 21st century is better than the best defensive player of all time is just unforgivable. That Ripken fella really irks me. Doesn't he know he's not allowed to have an opinion?

FTFY

I am not a homer by any stretch of the imagination but last I checked the all time defensive metrics have Brooks #1, ahead of everybody. I have no issue with Cal telling it like it is, but he shouldn't go out of his way to give opinions that don't jive with the facts.

I really don't get why people are still so pissy about Cal. People complain that he's so "by the book" and "corporate"; then they complain that he has a very different opinion on who is the best defensive 3B. I know some people just don't like Cal, and I guess they've found their opportunity to hate.

FTFY

I am not a homer by any stretch of the imagination but last I checked the all time defensive metrics have Brooks #1, ahead of everybody. I have no issue with Cal telling it like it is, but he shouldn't go out of his way to give opinions that don't jive with the facts.

What I don't get is the desire to make this dividing line between the 20th and 21st centuries. You hit it on the head with the fixing of crissfan's post. A hard hit ball to 3B is the same now as it was then. You still have to play the ball, and Brooks did it the best. Simple. Period. End of story. That's all there is, there is no more - sorry, got carried away.

Archived