More problems for the Yankees.

joe42

Grantland (or at least the guy who wrote this) is rooting for the wheels to come off (the rest of the way off!) too....

:smile11:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9025135/the-evil-empire-new-york-yankees-to-fall

Edit to this: Beware the usual knock on the O's not being able to repeat the one-run wins thing near the end of this. Overall though it paints a very bleak (in other words, wonderful) picture of the Yanks impending demise.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there will be a downturn for a couple of years with the Yankees but it's not like it's new. From 62-75 the Yanks were in decline,same thing during the 80's and early 90's. Sad thing is when they come back,they always win a couple of World Series before falling back down again.

So I will enjoy their latest downturn (iahve my party drinks ready) but I'll also keep in mind the fact at some point they'll be back.

Living and working in NYC is interesting these days. On my way out to lunch, some guys on the elevator were talking about how bad the Yankees offseason had been. Their consensus was basically that Jeter has to be completely healthy for the whole year, Tex has to hit .300, and Gardner has to have a career year for them to have a chance. I didn't interject, it was too soothing to listen to.

God forbid that their team doesn't score 100 more runs than the next highest team. They might have to settle for 2nd or 3rd in runs scored. Gimme a break, these clowns have a long way to go before they can start complaining.

God forbid that their team doesn't score 100 more runs than the next highest team. They might have to settle for 2nd or 3rd in runs scored. Gimme a break, these clowns have a long way to go before they can start complaining.

Believe me, it's not easy listening to them whine. But they definitely have some real issues. I don't envy the Yankees one bit...went to a couple O's/Yanks games up here, and got into some good discussions with Yankees fans, who commented every time an O's hitter would come up how "they're all so young" :laughlol:

The good news is, if the Yankees look like they aren't going to win more than 85 games, you can get tickets for practically nothing up here. I wouldn't say Yankees fans are known for unwavering loyalty in the face of a downturn. Their younger fans have hardly seen one.

Believe me, it's not easy listening to them whine. But they definitely have some real issues. I don't envy the Yankees one bit...went to a couple O's/Yanks games up here, and got into some good discussions with Yankees fans, who commented every time an O's hitter would come up how "they're all so young" :laughlol:

The good news is, if the Yankees look like they aren't going to win more than 85 games, you can get tickets for practically nothing up here. I wouldn't say Yankees fans are known for unwavering loyalty in the face of a downturn. Their younger fans have hardly seen one.

They definitely aren't.

I was once watching an HBO special on the Bobby Thomson/Ralph Branca home run, and a Dodger fan commented that Yankee fans would root for the U.S. Government in a tax suit against an average citizen.

Most of them are loud, brazen, and obnoxious when they are winning ...... and nowhere to be found when they are losing.

They definitely aren't.

I was once watching an HBO special on the Bobby Thomson/Ralph Branca home run, and a Dodger fan commented that Yankee fans would root for the U.S. Government in a tax suit against an average citizen.

Most of them are loud, brazen, and obnoxious when they are winning ...... and nowhere to be found when they are losing.

In the new stadium it's even more so as they priced out all the regulars.

The Orioles have had more losing seasons since 2000 than the Yanks have since they signed Babe Ruth. I don't ever want to hear a Yanks fan complain about anything.

That is true. What I should have said is "they can't possibly have a legitimate reason to complain about anything, ever." I do love me some Yankee Schadenfreude. It's the best of all Schadenfreudes, really.

Would you root for the MFY against Virginia?

I know I would root for them against Alabama.

I will say this..I think the Yanks will miss the postseason but unlike 08,the new rules will make them think twice about simply going out and buying up every player they can like they did the last time.

As for rooting for the Yanks,only time I did was in 03 because of Loria and the Marlins. Other then that,I'll root for any team to beat them.

Archived