Baseball Champions Legue

Winning_Season

Thoughts on a potential international tournament of some kind between the champions of various baseball professional leagues??

Bud Selig seems to like the idea: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/selig-at-world-baseball-classic-idea-of-a-true-world-series-would-be-breathtaking/2013/03/08/edd98922-8870-11e2-b412-2e8596e7c927_story.html

To my limited knowledge the Japanese professional league is far and away the best league besides the MLB.

So ideally you would have maybe a best of five series in November between the World Series champs and the Japan Legue play in November after the World Series.

The big problem is having pitchers pitch post world-series. Not sure how to fix it.

The bold move would be to shorten the regular season to make room for international tournaments. A very bold move

Thoughts on a potential international tournament of some kind between the champions of various baseball professional leagues??

Bud Selig seems to like the idea: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/selig-at-world-baseball-classic-idea-of-a-true-world-series-would-be-breathtaking/2013/03/08/edd98922-8870-11e2-b412-2e8596e7c927_story.html

To my limited knowledge the Japanese professional league is far and away the best league besides the MLB.

So ideally you would have maybe a best of five series in November between the World Series champs and the Japan Legue play in November after the World Series.

The big problem is having pitchers pitch post world-series. Not sure how to fix it.

The bold move would be to shorten the regular season to make room for international tournaments. A very bold move

I would absolutely LOVE it. To really do it right though, like you allude to, some drastic changes would have to take place to the MLB schedule. The vast majority of Americans probably aren't any where close to being ready for things like this to take place though. Or the timing of the tournament could be similar to the WBC, maybe you don't hold the event in the same year as a WBC... I don't know. I haven't read the linked article yet, but I will, thanks for posting it.

Sometimes I think it would be cool if Minor League affiliations were dissolved and MLB had a relegation system that would then also allow for the MLB equivalent of the FA Cup. Could you imagine the Dodgers coming to Prince George's County Stadium to take on the Bay Sox? Or other matches along those lines. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have always yearned for relagation as well. The minor leagues are to engrained with the development of talent (soccer teams have their own developmental teams as well) the only solution would be to have teams from the independent league move up to the MLB and MLB teams move down to the independent league. Less likely than a champions league but we can always dream.

Avoiding relegation would have at least made watching the O's in September interesting during the dark years.

Archived