As JJ Hardy Struggles at ST Will Orioles Reconsider A Trade?

section18

His velocity is down. If he was throwing with his normal velocity and having bad results it wouldn't be much of an issue.

Right, so maybe Halladay's problems are mechanical, or indicative of an unknown injury.... Or sometimes, it's just the opposite - velocity is up, and maybe the bite on the slider is less effective, or the fastball strays from the zone... Either way, I still think the point is valid - spring training is a good time to actually figure out if poor stats have a reason behind them, or if they are simply representative of the myriad statistical anomalies that populate the game...

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hardy begins a lot to the team defensively. He could be hitting .210 in June and that will not be a problem if the team is winning.

Well if you are 3-5 games out of first and Schoop/Flaherty are tearing it up in the minors, I would think Buck may make a change..whether it be sitting Hardy for a few games or making a deal... just because we are winning and he is hitting .200 at the plate does not keep his spot safe.

Right, so maybe Halladay's problems are mechanical, or indicative of an unknown injury.... Or sometimes, it's just the opposite - velocity is up, and maybe the bite on the slider is less effective, or the fastball strays from the zone... Either way, I still think the point is valid - spring training is a good time to actually figure out if poor stats have a reason behind them, or if they are simply representative of the myriad statistical anomalies that populate the game...

The point isn't valid. It isn't so much the results that have the Phillies concerned as the underlying issue of his velocity.

A few years ago when the ordinarily high contact Izturis started collecting a bunch of K's in ST it was cause for concern, as it showed decline in an aspect of his game.

If Hardy was suddenly showing a huge decrease in power, or contact rate, it would be concern worthy. From what I have heard that isn't the case.

Well if you are 3-5 games out of first and Schoop/Flaherty are tearing it up in the minors, I would think Buck may make a change..whether it be sitting Hardy for a few games or making a deal... just because we are winning and he is hitting .200 at the plate does not keep his spot safe.

I would disagree this that. If the team is winning and Hardy is playing at his normal level defensively.......I don't think Buck will take him out of the lineup because on his bat.

The point isn't valid. It isn't so much the results that have the Phillies concerned as the underlying issue of his velocity.

A few years ago when the ordinarily high contact Izturis started collecting a bunch of K's in ST it was cause for concern, as it showed decline in an aspect of his game.

If Hardy was suddenly showing a huge decrease in power, or contact rate, it would be concern worthy. From what I have heard that isn't the case.

Well, I think we're saying the same thing. His results have been terrible and that's indicative of his decrease in velocity, which may in turn be due to something else. Or maybe he's just getting old. But there is no debate that the issue, whatever it is, is being reflected in his lack of success this spring. And that's all I'm saying... spring training stats are notable and should not be ignored in totality.

section18 always has a differnt perspective but trading a player because of spring stats is a little Christopher brian Bridges. You do know Hardy even with his down year still had value and a 2.8 war? He could have another down year like that and I would take it. With the upgrades we made we will be fine.

I really don't pay much attention to any regular's numbers in the first half of ST. It's when they start to play every day as they near OD, that I look closely at what they are doing. I haven't paid any more attention to Hardy's production so far than I have Jones, Betemit, Davis or Wieters. I have been paying attention to Roberts, McLouth, Manny, Flaherty, Reimold, and the bash brothers, Pearce, Jackson, and Ford. What they have done so far matters much more.

Long term, yes, but Hardy really is a superb defensive SS and Manny's terrific at 3B, and I don't think Buck's in any hurry. It's pretty telling that Manny hasn't played a single inning at SS this spring even though Hardy has only started 9 games. That tells you where Buck's head is at right now.

Exactly. Machado may be the future SS, but don't you think he would at least have taken some reps by now if they had any inclination of him playing there in the near future? Hardy is going nowhere.

Comparing Hardy's offense to Belanger's is a joke.

Not if he is hitting 210 in June it isn't. Not like he is going to make up for it with walks.

Hardy had an OPS+ of 81 last year. Belanger had three full seasons of 90+. If Hardy does degrade from his 2012 level then a Belanger comp would not be out of the question.

Exactly. Machado may be the future SS, but don't you think he would at least have taken some reps by now if they had any inclination of him playing there in the near future? Hardy is going nowhere.

Machado is about fourth on the list for short stop at this point, maybe even fifth. All I know is Bobby Dickerson works with him at third exclusively pregame.

Archived