As JJ Hardy Struggles at ST Will Orioles Reconsider A Trade?

section18

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you think Machado is your future shortstop than you should always be on the lookout for deals involving Hardy, especially if the team is not in contention at the deadline. In that case, I think you'd almost be crazy not to trade Hardy.

Not if he is hitting 210 in June it isn't. Not like he is going to make up for it with walks.

Hardy had an OPS+ of 81 last year. Belanger had three full seasons of 90+. If Hardy does degrade from his 2012 level then a Belanger comp would not be out of the question.

Wow, you are really stretching a statistical argument there. Belanger had a career OPS+ of 68. Hardy's is 96. They are not similar offensive players

Wow, you are really stretching a statistical argument there. Belanger had a career OPS+ of 68. Hardy's is 96. They are not similar offensive players

Yes. Hardy has much more power than Belanger had, and has a considerably better batting average than Belanger had, also.

Last year (along with 2009) was Hardy's worst offensive season of his career (a .238 batting average and a .282 OBP), but he still managed to hit 22 home runs and 30 doubles.

The only advantage that Belanger had over Hardy on offense was his speed.

Jim Johnson had a pretty poor spring training last year and was coming back from an injury, and he had the best year of his career. Spring training stats mean absolutely nothing.

Last year wasn't even close to his best year of his career.

I don't think you are paying proper attention. The argument was if he was hitting .210 by June. That would be lower then last year. If his offensive numbers were lower then last season's then a comparison to Belanger would not be unreasonable.

In no way did I say that Hardy's average offensive season was comparable to Belanger's.

Folks do seem to want to overestimate Hardy's offensive ability, I think because of his power. A career OPS+ of 96 isn't exactly impressive.

Yes. Hardy has much more power than Belanger had, and has a considerably better batting average than Belanger had, also.

Last year (along with 2009) was Hardy's worst offensive season of his career (a .238 batting average and a .282 OBP), but he still managed to hit 22 home runs and 30 doubles.

The only advantage that Belanger had over Hardy on offense was his speed.

You forgot 2006.

If you think Machado is your future shortstop than you should always be on the lookout for deals involving Hardy, especially if the team is not in contention at the deadline. In that case, I think you'd almost be crazy not to trade Hardy.

That's not the scenario I'm planning on.

Last year wasn't even close to his best year of his career.

I don't think you are paying proper attention. The argument was if he was hitting .210 by June. That would be lower then last year. If his offensive numbers were lower then last season's then a comparison to Belanger would not be unreasonable.

In no way did I say that Hardy's average offensive season was comparable to Belanger's.

Folks do seem to want to overestimate Hardy's offensive ability, I think because of his power. A career OPS+ of 96 isn't exactly impressive.

A 96 OPS+ is very good for a shortstop, especially one of Hardy's caliber. As to the .210 BA in June, even if Hardy was there I wouldn't expect his OPS to be around Belanger's .580 average. Frankly, I'll worry about this scenario when it happens, and I don't believe it will.

What does that have to do with anything? Did we set a minimum at bat requirement earlier in the discussion that I was unaware of?

35 games and 138 at-bats is a very small sample size for a regular player. He hardly played that season (less than 1/4 of the year.) No, we didn't set a minimum at bat requirement for the discussion, but as far as I know, we do acknowledge small sample sizes, and take them for what they are.

I think that you are getting carried away with being right about your point about Belanger and Hardy.

35 games and 138 at-bats is a very small sample size for a regular player. He hardly played that season (less than 1/4 of the year.) No, we didn't set a minimum at bat requirement for the discussion, but as far as I know, we do acknowledge small sample sizes, and take them for what they are.

I think that you are getting carried away with being right about your point about Belanger and Hardy.

I certainly do acknowledge when something is a small sample size, I do not, however, act like it never occurred at all. His 2006 season is part of his overall resume.

Hardy has had three seasons with an OPS+ of 81 or below, by the age of 29. Belanger at his best was better then Hardy at his worst. It would be foolish to just assume that Hardy will be a positive on offense as he continues to age.

I certainly do acknowledge when something is a small sample size, I do not, however, act like it never occurred at all. His 2006 season is part of his overall resume.

Hardy has had three seasons with an OPS+ of 81 or below, by the age of 29. Belanger at his best was better then Hardy at his worst. It would be foolish to just assume that Hardy will be a positive on offense as he continues to age.

OK Corn, you win. Hardy had a horrible offensive season in the 35 games that he played in 2006.

Archived