Stolen from Tango: Propose Two Rule Changes

DrungoHazewood

Interesting idea, but what makes you think that going back to a strike zone which was the norm, in one form or another would lead to that change? I mean the last major adjustment in the zone was in 1969 when it went from the armpits to where it now sits in the upper zone. There was a minor adjustment in '88, but do you think there was a noticeable change in offensive output after the last upper zone change?

I think one of the biggest changes was the shift from the ump's outside chest protector to the inside, which allows them to set up right over the catcher's shoulder, and had the effect of lowering the top of the zone by 6" or more. I think that drove the redefinition (in the 90s maybe) of the top of the zone from the armpit to the current rule. For a decade or more the rulebook said armpits, but it was increasingly rare to have a strike called above the belt.

I think moving the top up would force a change, because players couldn't just stand there and take everything that wasn't in a very small, thigh-high area. Without changing hitting approaches, or batter types, the guys who now have 80 walks and 170 Ks a year would turn into guys who walk 40 times and strike out 225 and their OPSes would drop 100 points or more. It would drive a lot of today's rake-and-take sluggers out of the league, and they'd almost necessarily be replaced with players who could make more contact. And I think a current market inefficiency is in players who can hit but don't have bat speed. Guys like Luke Appling and Richie Ashburn are probably 36th-round picks today, or they get taught at 15 or 18 to pick up a 28-ounce bat and swing from the heels.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Yes. That’s less than 25 million a season on average. Even though the years are a bit long. That’s the going rate for these type of superstar players.  Maybe you can go more AAV in exchange for say a 12 year deal? But at age 22, even at 14 years he’s here until he’s what 37/38? In 10 years 25 mill per won’t be the valued at nearly the same dollar amount in terms of “paying an older possibly declining player”. That contract length also ensures that he is an Oriole for life basically. If Rubenstien’s goal is to restore the franchise’s glory instead of simply making it a competitive franchise. You cannot minimize the value of having these type of franchise cornerstone players/homegrown superstars. We basically haven’t had one (and retained) since Ripken. (Yes I know Machado was one but we let him walk and basically the same with Mussina.)
    • I was looking at the O’s stat page and noticing how high all the OPS+ numbers are.  For example, Cedric Mullins has a .736 OPS but that’s good for a 116 OPS+ right now.  So, I looked around.  Right now, the MLB average OPS is .698.  That’s down from .734 last year, and (for those thinking of a “cold weather” explanation) from .726 last April.    The O’s, on the other hand, have a .780 OPS, compared to .742 last year.  That’s 3rd in MLB and good for an MLB-leading 130 OPS+, compared to 107 last year.    I’m not sure if the hot hitting will continue, but the team has had one heck of a start offensively, in a year where the league has been pretty cold.    
    • I didn’t see Angel Hernandez listed in any of the box scores from yesterday so he may have been the replay official. That would actually be hilarious. 
    • @Tony-OH   It’s early but is Forret possibly a better prospect than DeLeon?  A year younger.  Sounds like velo is similar.  Better control?
    • I wouldn’t hesitate to give him the Witt deal. I would like to get 3 FA years.  That’s my best case scenario and after that, the opt outs start.
    • At this point Gunnar is the most valuable asset in baseball right? I guess you could argue Witt Jr or De La Cruz. I sure as heck wouldn’t trade him for anybody.
    • @Tony-OHhave you had a chance to see or hear anything about Cam Weston yet? Is there real upside or is this an older guy who's maybe more advanced than his league?
  • Popular Contributors