• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
K/BB

Matusz 4.3

Arrieta 1.0

Britton 1.6

Johnson 1.75

One of these things is not like the other...

Well, Matusz had that one crazy game when he struck out 7 and allowed only 1 walk. He hasn't had a ton of strikeouts in any other game.

Is a healthy Tillman a lock for the rotation? No chance if he's not looking good he gets bumped to make room for Matusz + Arrieta/Johnson/Britton/Gausman (okay, not Gausman) or something?

Tillman is out of options so he is a lock for the team. Better for him to start than to relieve for now.

Matusz is the only starter option which allows them to keep McFarland in the pen without moving any of the other bullpen guys. Combine that with what Britton did today and what McFarland has done his last 2-3 times out and I think things are falling into place.

I think Buck could keep Matusz, Arrieta or Steve Johnson as the 5th starter. They all have options. He can keep McFarland as a reliever. I don't think because Buck keeps McFarland it means anything about who is the 5th starter.

There is probably going to be a lot of movement in the 5th starter role this year because that is the spot that has the pitchers with all the options.

I think Buck could keep Matusz, Arrieta or Steve Johnson as the 5th starter. They all have options. He can keep McFarland as a reliever. I don't think because Buck keeps McFarland it means anything about who is the 5th starter.

There is probably going to be a lot of movement in the 5th starter role this year because that is the spot that has the pitchers with all the options.

It is highly doubtful Matusz would be sent to AAA over the bullpen. Ergo, TJ's best chance is for Matusz to win the rotation spot.

It is highly doubtful Matusz would be sent to AAA over the bullpen. Ergo, TJ's best chance is for Matusz to win the rotation spot.

I don't agree with that. The O's could say they want to keep Matusz stretched out and send him to Norfolk if he doesn't make the team.

If all these guys keep pitching well (which would be great!) we might have to trade some of them. Especially with Gausman and Bundy lurking behind them.

Maybe at the trade deadline but I don't think the pitchers the O's would make available this month would bring them much in return.

Buck still soft-pedaling it:

"He pitched real well the last two or three times out. Today was a little bit of a challenge for him," Showalter said.

"He's pitched well for the most part. He's had a couple less than what he's capable outings, and the rest of them have been really good."

Showalter isn't going to make his decision on the rotation based purely on spring training statistics and a recent poor outing.

"Zach's pitched well down here for the most part," Showalter said. "It was a hitter-friendly day and it didn't go his way. Not looking for excuses for him. He doesn't want to hear that, but he had really had good late life. He threw 30 pitches that one inning. Actually, 30-plus, and he got a little tired at the end."

Britton and the other pitchers in camp continue to work on various things during games - another reason why Showalter doesn't spend each night scanning the stat sheet.

"Everybody does that. Everybody here is working on something, whether you're trying to make the club or not," Showalter said.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2013/03/showalter-on-roberts-britton-and-mcfarland.html

You keep saying that and you're entitled to your opinion. I think you are in a smal minority. Logic points to Matusz being in the bullpen if he doesn't win the 5th spot. Showalter and DD have repeatedly said how much they like Matusz in the pen. Showalter keeps talking about putting the best team on the field to start the season. Stetching Matusz out at Norfolk as starter insurance doesn't seem to fit what's been said.

I don't think it logical for DD and Buck to send McFarland back if he continues to pitch well. The Rule 5 draft is one of the ways that DD stocks the O's organization with young players. Now if McFarland falter that is another issue.

I also think that the 5th starters will be shuttled between the majors and Norfolk whenever Buck thinks its necessary. So Matusz may not be down long if he goes down.

I don't think it logical for DD and Buck to send McFarland back if he continues to pitch well. The Rule 5 draft is one of the ways that DD stocks the O's organization with young players. Now if McFarland falter that is another issue.

I also think that the 5th starters will be shuttled between the majors and Norfolk whenever Buck thinks its necessary. So Matusz may not be down long if he goes down.

One thing to consider is that the O's would rather not use Matusz's last option until they have to. Better to save it for when they really need it, whether this year or some later time. They were fortunate that when they brought him up in 2009, they never had to send him back down, so that saved the option they have now. I think if Matusz is pitching well he will be on the big league roster in one capacity or the other.

One thing to consider is that the O's would rather not use Matusz's last option until they have to. Better to save it for when they really need it, whether this year or some later time. They were fortunate that when they brought him up in 2009, they never had to send him back down, so that saved the option they have now. I think if Matusz is pitching well he will be on the big league roster in one capacity or the other.

What if he starts in the starting rotation and struggles though? They probably send him back to AAA as opposed to moving him back to the bullpen IMO.

I think he is pitching well enough to get that 5th spot, but it is tough because he was so very good late in the game.

Archived