HHP: Tracking the Fifth Starter Competition

Frobby

Now Wildcard is saying that Hunter's 1.82M is an impediment to dealing him. Really?

If Matusz winds up in the minors Wildcard, good buddy, I will apologize profusely. All signs point to the opposite.

Hey, I have no problem with Matusz as the 5th starter. I just don't think the decision is made yet.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The better Matusz pitches the better it is for McFarland, and conversely the better McFarland pitches the more likely Matusz is the 5th SP. Buck wants two LHP in the rotation and two in the pen. Johnson and Arrieta will have to really out pitch Matusz this next week to bump him out of the rotation and make them have to choose between optioning him or losing McFarland. Johnson has a shot at the pen if they trade Hunter for a 3rd catcher IMO.

The better Matusz pitches the better it is for McFarland, and conversely the better McFarland pitches the more likely Matusz is the 5th SP. Buck wants two LHP in the rotation and two in the pen. Johnson and Arrieta will have to really out pitch Matusz this next week to bump him out of the rotation and make them have to choose between optioning him or losing McFarland. Johnson has a shot at the pen if they trade Hunter for a 3rd catcher IMO.

Yes I would have to agree with what you are saying here. I think if they don't work out some kind of trade for Tommy Hunter that he will more likely be in the bullpen pushing Steve Johnson to Norfolk's rotation. If the results remain much like they have been so far it looks like Britton, Arrieta, and Johnson will be a pretty good 1, 2, 3 starters for AAA to begin the season. It feels pretty good when your AAA rotation is as good or better then many major league rotations. I know someone is going to disappoint/get injured or both but I haven't felt this good about the Orioles starting pitching going into a season in more time then I can really remember. The season can't start soon enough for me. I will be at the exhibition game, (my first Oriole one ever) Saturday. I am really looking forward to seeing them in nice weather in March.

Both are lefties and good chance during regular season they would sit against Matusz b/c he's lightsout against lefties.

Especially Ortiz! Brian OWNED him in 2010 (?). He struck him out like 90% of his ABs that year. It was pure carnage.

Assuming Bundy and Gausman do what we think they'll do at Bowie this year the Orioles will be in a prime position to deal a couple of these younger arms for help in the 2nd half. Or to replenish the lower levels of the system. It's been so long since the Orioles have operated as a well run organization I'm kinda dumbfounded by this proposition.

On the topic at hand it's pretty exciting to see that Matusz may have rediscovered his change up this spring. It's been a long strange trip for him these past two years but if he can find that 2010 form the Orioles rotation is going to be a rock in 2013.

On the topic at hand it's pretty exciting to see that Matusz may have rediscovered his change up this spring. It's been a long strange trip for him these past two years but if he can find that 2010 form the Orioles rotation is going to be a rock in 2013.

Here here. This has been my thinking all along.

Archived