Rosenthal on Gausman and Bundy

wildcard

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be great if the Orioles could use Gausman like the Rays did with Price in '08 as a lock-down reliever late in the season/playoffs. O'Day/Strop/Gausman/Johnson with Matusz thrown in there for a tough LHB or two if needed. That would shorten some games.

Thanks for the in-depth analysis.

Do you need someone to tell you that his OPS has nothing to do with an opinion he can form on how a guy's stuff looks? If he stands in the box, and he's a ML hitter then his opinion is valid. If it had been ARod's opinion, would that be more impressive?

Do you need someone to tell you that his OPS has nothing to do with an opinion he can form on how a guy's stuff looks? If he stands in the box, and he's a ML hitter then his opinion is valid. If it had been ARod's opinion, would that be more impressive?

What Gomes knows is he can't hit Gausman stuff. But then again he can't hit a lot of righthander's stuff. Now if Longoria or Cabrera said that about Gausman it would mean more to me. I think considering the source is wise.

If Gausman eventually proves to be even better than Bundy, I'm fine with that. Who cares whether Bundy is #1 and Gausman #2 or the other way around. Either way, it looks like we've got some outstanding pitching in the house. If some combo of Gausman, Bundy and Tillman prove to be legitimate #'s 1-3, we will be able to fill out the last spots in the rotation with some combination of in-house talent, ie. Britton, Arrieta, Matusz, Johnson, Wright, etc. or mid-level free agents, see the Joe Saunders and Kyle Lohse's of the world.

And, given the long-term presence of Jones, Wieters, Machado and even Chris Davis, if young guys like Schoop and Flaherty can be quality major league players, not necessarily stars, I think the future really looks bright. Tell the Ravens that they can have Sunday afternoons, but the nights belong to the Orioles!!

Hey, no faith in Wei-yin and Miguel?

Without three plus-plus pitches Bergman is no Fellini.

If Fellini were a pitcher, he'd be a knuckleballer. You could pretty much count on everything Bergman would throw as being down. Very down...and away. Far, far away...

There would be no change ups because change is not possible in Sweden. Even in summer which is when baseball would be played in Sweden. If there was a point.

It's one thing to have nasty stuff and throw 98 when you're pitching 2 innings, but an entire different story to be able to do that in the bottom of the 9th like Verlander can.

Or even choose NOT to do that until the 8th, like Verlander often does.

What Gomes knows is he can't hit Gausman stuff. But then again he can't hit a lot of righthander's stuff. Now if Longoria or Cabrera said that about Gausman it would mean more to me. I think considering the source is wise.

You don't have to hit it to evaluate it. Can Peterson or Adair hit it? Can they evaluate it?

You don't have to hit it to evaluate it. Can Peterson or Adair hit it? Can they evaluate it?

Hitting and pitching coaches are paid to evaluate it. If they are good they are worth listening to. Gomes it paid to hit it. And he doesn't do a very go job vs righthanders.

If Fellini were a pitcher, he'd be a knuckleballer. You could pretty much count on everything Bergman would throw as being down. Very down...and away. Far, far away...

There would be no change ups because change is not possible in Sweden. Even in summer which is when baseball would be played in Sweden. If there was a point.

Very insightful, I must say--Now I realize what Ingmar's "Smiles on a Summer Night" was really about!

RE Fellini: I think you're scouting report is a bit narrow. Yes, Fellini could throw an incredible knuckleball (the unforgettable Satyricon season), but then there were also years he'd just entice the batter with one at the beginning of an at-bat or game--as in La Dolce Vita--and then kill you the rest of the way with sliders and 2-seamers (La Strada) or curves and a straight, but "rising" fastball (Amarcord). He was lucky to have a long enough career to show us everything he had, as well as a wife who was great at batting second.

If you wait until the second half and he has a good second half then it's too late to sign him to a reasonable contract. If you are right about his second halves always being bad, then we probably shouldn't be worried about signing him longterm. The reason for that would be him looking good all year long like he did in the first half last year. I would sign him to a 3/30 contract now, as long as the O's are confident in his knees remaining healthy. It's a gamble but if you wait too long and Hammel is the real deal, you lose out.

Hammel's career numbers:

1st half: 29-24, 4.29 ERA

2nd half: 13-27, 5.39 ERA

I woundn't sign him until after the season when we see how he does 2nd half. Then its a matter of is he worth the money.

Hitting and pitching coaches are paid to evaluate it. If they are good they are worth listening to. Gomes it paid to hit it. And he doesn't do a very go job vs righthanders.

Your argument is incredible. You're essentially saying that Gomes is incapable of standing in the batter's box and distinguishing the difference between good stuff and not good stuff, all because he basically has a league average OPS against righties. So the fact that he doesn't mash righties means that he can no longer see the ball, or differentiate between two pitcher's stuff.

That's incredible...as in, not credible.

Archived